GUILD History in a nutshell

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying all Coronas were duds, but *something* obviously went wrong there, didn't it?
Or there might have been a rough "learning curve" at the front end. Without comparative figures of how many seconds there were as opposed to firsts, it's pretty hard to gauge how big the problem was, or if it could truly be called a "problem".
I'd be surprised if production was moved simply because "something was wrong" in Corona. In the world of corporate bean counting I suspect it's far more likely that Fender saw significant cost savings in consolidating Guild and Tacoma guitar production in the same facility, and most likely there were several components driving that decision.
Nobody ever makes a move like that for just one reason. When they do make that kind of move, it's always about several reasons adding up to enough money to justify the decision.
Be assured I don't dispute your observation, because I wasn't actually watching eBay ads at the time you were, I'm just pointing out that I don't think anybody here got to see the "whole picture".
Perhaps we'll get a better idea if (or hopefully when ) Hans ever gets to publication with that period of Guild production.
Until then I'd put myself in the "jury is still out" category about Corona's overall quality consistency.
I just know mine gives up nothing to my 2 Westerlys in construction quality and has a better finish to boot.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I seem to recall discussion about the state of the art finish capability at Corona being driven by strict environmental regulations in California. I also recall uninformed speculation that even in the new facility, spraying NCL was a PITA and thus the move to Tacoma offered an opportunity to eliminate the regulation that was effecting product quality.

I note that the New Hartford facility is making Guild and Fender branded instruments so FMIC clearly is willing to make effective use of a facility, regardless of brands. That thinking may have influences the move from Corona to Tacoma.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall discussion about the state of the art finish capability at Corona being driven by strict environmental regulations in California. I also recall uninformed speculation that even in the new facility, spraying NCL was a PITA and thus the move to Tacoma offered an opportunity to eliminate the regulation that was effecting product quality.
Just corroborating your memory of such discussions, I remember them as well, although I'm pretty sure the "environmental regulations" speculation (and it was just that) occurred before I saw the reference to the "quality" of the booth in that article.
I note that the New Hartford facility is making Guild and Fender branded instruments so FMIC clearly is willing to make effective use of a facility, regardless of brands. That thinking may have influences the move from Corona to Tacoma.
Sure hope Hans can shed some light on this dark dark period of Guild's history. Soon.
:peaceful: