1967 Guild D50 (Brazilian), back from the Guild Repair Shop!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
The seller thought it was from '67, and I never checked the serial number!

Unfortunately the date stamped on the underside of the top next to the soundhole -- only visible with a mirror -- is little more than a smudge. The only vaguely discernable digit is a "7."

Question for Hans: according to what I've read in the archives, Guild stopped using Brazilian in 1969. Is this not true?

Or do you think this is a case of Guild having some leftover BRW and using it up?

Or could the body have been made prior to '71, but the guitar only completed in '71?

Thanks!

(And while I appreciate the pats on the back for having the work done, Guild's repair shop folks deserve all the applause!)

Glenn//.

Glenn,

It seems like it's been mentioned here that some left over BRW was used in the early 70's. Lucky bugger!

West

Dubbaround

Reaction score
May I ask what the trip through the Guild healing center cost? I would be tempted to send my D25 there if the money was right.

AWESOME guitar, and great write-up. I do envy you!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for posting about the repair, Glenn!!! God, that is beautiful. Ready for its next 40 years of life! Wow!!!

Oh, yeah, and ditto on the request for some pictures of that amazing back!

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Taking into account all the repair work the guitar needed, getting it in and out of the shop for under a grand was (IMO) quite reasonable, especially considering the quality and thoroughness of the job Kim and Co. did.

Having got the guitar so cheap, I felt I could justify investing in its rehabilitation. (And after playing the guitar for a week, I felt like I had an obligation to do right by it!)

The seller, knowing the guitar needed attention, sold it to me for 700 dollars. (I found Guilds with Brazilian sides and back going for four grand and up on eBay, even restored examples.)

BTW!, I meant to also mention that Guild had it ready for me AHEAD of schedule. Kim had estimated five weeks for the repair; it was ready in less than four.

Dubbaround

Reaction score
Thank you Glenn!

I keep thinking how nice it would be to have the swamis and gurus there in New Hartford lay a healing on my poor old swaybacked nag...no cracks, neck seems to be attached, frets worn thin, saddle changed out, nut and bridge are plastic...ten thousand nicks bumps and scrapes...and that shamefully ugly nut brown "Mahogany" stain color....

If I thought they could completely refinish it and transform it into a Sunburst....and not lose the mojo it has sound wise...I'd do it. Not sure a refinish would keep the amazing sounds.

Or, if you'll pardon the flagrant plagiarism:

"sizzling vibrations spreading in the air like a wave of beautiful summer breezes."

:mrgreen:

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You're in New Hampshire -- that's within shouting distance. You could go talk to 'em about it and see what they say -- and then decide if you want to commit to the work. Wouldn't cost you nothin' but the gas and your time.

Are you coming to LMG 2012? Bring it with you!

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
Dubbaround said:
Not sure a refinish would keep the amazing sounds.
If you love the sound of the guitar the way it is, I wouldn't recommend refinishing just for cosmetic reasons. The age of the finish, thickness etc. plays a major role in the sound of an acoustic instrument.

Dubbaround

Reaction score
wileypickett said:
You're in New Hampshire -- that's within shouting distance. You could go talk to 'em about it and see what they say -- and then decide if you want to commit to the work. Wouldn't cost you nothin' but the gas and your time.

What is LMG?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dubbaround said:
wileypickett said:

What is LMG?
Let's Meet Guild a.k.a. the factory tour or see the FAQ.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dubbaround said:
Thank you Glenn!

I keep thinking how nice it would be to have the swamis and gurus there in New Hartford lay a healing on my poor old swaybacked nag...no cracks, neck seems to be attached, frets worn thin, saddle changed out, nut and bridge are plastic...ten thousand nicks bumps and scrapes...and that shamefully ugly nut brown "Mahogany" stain color....

If I thought they could completely refinish it and transform it into a Sunburst....and not lose the mojo it has sound wise...I'd do it. Not sure a refinish would keep the amazing sounds.

Or, if you'll pardon the flagrant plagiarism:

"sizzling vibrations spreading in the air like a wave of beautiful summer breezes."

:mrgreen:
Dub, see this thread. Feel free to contact them:http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31387