1967 Guild D50 (Brazilian), back from the Guild Repair Shop!

wileypickett

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got a terrific deal on a vintage Guild D-50, made in 1967. [Not true -- see below!]

The seller and I emailed back and forth about it and talked on the phone. He was completely upfront about all the work he thought it needed, but me being in Boston and him being in Florida -- well, if it hadn't been Brazilian, I probably would have just let it go.

But that and the fact that the seller kept insisting that whatever its problems, the tone on this guitar "was to die for" pretty much decided me.

Well folks, he wasn't kidding!

We met up in Saratoga Springs, NY, where he and his wife were taking their vacation, and as soon as I played it I got goosebumps.

For the first week after purchasing it I couldn't put the guitar down. I was totally in love with it, so much so I even used it for one my live shows in western Massachusetts instead of my usual "A" guitar, my beloved DV-52.

Around then, Kim Keller posted here on the LTG site news of the creation of the Guild repair shop. I decided, being just two hours from New Hartford, to get the guitar repaired by the folks I figured had the resources and the expertise to best do the job.

After taking it in and consulting with Kim and Chris (the guy who did the actual repair work -- sorry I didn't get his last name) I was told that the heel block had failed at some point and the top had cracked on either side of the fretboard as well as between the end of the fretboard and the soundhole. There was also a lumpily repaired center crack below the bridge, and a smaller crack below that which had been cleated, but not properly glued or filled.

Whoever had owned the guitar before the guy I bought it from had either repaired the damage himself or had hired someone with limited experience to fix it. Even though the guitar played perfectly and sounded incredible the job had been very sloppily done, with glue poured randomly into cracks and slopped inside around the heel block. Kind of amazing that the repair held for as long as it did.

In addition the original plastic heel cap had off-gassed over the years and was cracked and curling and crumbling into little pieces. There was also significant fret wear on the first few frets; numerous places around the sound hole and next to the pickguard where a flatpick had gone through the finish and into the wood as well as gouges, chips, and dings to the top.

I told Kim and Chris to do whatever was necessary to fix any structural damage, even if it meant undoing previous repairs. And while I wasn't super concerned about appearance I did want all the cracks cleaned up, the exposed wood to be relacquered and the top be made as good as possible under the circumstances. And I wanted the bad frets and the heel cap replaced.

Chris said the neck would need to be removed to fix everything properly but he didn't envision any problems. I gave him the go ahead.

Here are the "BEFORE" pictures, as taken by Kim at Guild.

B4_1.jpg

B4_2.jpg

B4_3.jpg

B4_5.jpg

B4_7.jpg

B4_8.jpg

B4_9.jpg

B4_10.jpg

B4_11.jpg

B4_12.jpg

B4_13.jpg

B4_14.jpg

B4_15.jpg

And, below, are the "AFTER" pictures.

Chris not only did everything we talked about but he also relacquered the headstock and the back of the guitar, replaced the bridge and fitted it with a new bone saddle, polished the ebony fretboard to a sheen and even cleaned up the worst of the glue residue inside the guitar. He also dressed and polished the frets and did a set up, which I assume is SOP.

The neck removal and reattachment was so cleanly done I had to write Kim after I got home to confirm that the neck actually had been removed!

What I got back is, if not virtually a new instrument, a dramatically improved one.

It is not only the best sounding Guild I've ever owned but the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, period.

The work of the Guild repair shop far exceeded my expectations. I cannot recommend their work highly enough.

Kim and Chris -- if you're reading this -- thanks again!

(By the way, neither Kim nor Chris were able to say with certainty if the sides are also Brazilian. They might be, or they might be Indian rosewood. Sorry the one photo of the back isn't a bit clearer!)

Glenn//.

FTR_1.jpg

FTR_2.jpg

FTR_3.jpg

FTR_4.jpg

FTR_5.jpg

FTR_6.jpg

FTR_7.jpg

FTR_8.jpg

FTR_9.jpg

FTR_10.jpg

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: 1967 Brazilian Guild D-50, Back from the Guild Repair Shop!

That's like my first good guitar, new, sure wish I'd never sold it. I have a braz f312 that actually could use a new top. Numerous cracks and [both ends of one of the cross braces are broken.. as in missing. Sounds incredible but I think the top need replacing..... One day :roll: Stefan

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I would have love to have seen a shot of the back after they finished. Looks like an outstanding job......congrats.

West

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wileypickett said:
A few weeks ago I got a terrific deal on a vintage Guild D-50, made in 1967.

Hello Wiley,

Great to hear you got the guitar back and you're exited about it. Looks great!

There's one thing that I'm curious about though; who came up with the 1967 date? It's clearly a guitar from the seventies.
Or to be more precise, it's from 1971.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice. Kudo's for getting the guitar back up to snuff. Well done.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like they did a great job. Congrats.

Dave :D

Geo

Reaction score
Looks like a fantastic job. I'm glad the right person ended up with it. You deserve to enjoy it. :wink:

George

BJ_Toscano

Reaction score
Awesome guitar Glenn!

Is that one of the more lightly-built D-50s? How does it compare to the DV-52 in terms of weight?

When do we get to hear it?

Ben

DennisC

Reaction score
Great restoration. Guild did a much better finish on BRW than Martin, whose finish killed the gorgeous dark wine color in BRW and made it look like a walnut coffee table.

Its also remarkable how closely the top crack pattern in your guitar resembled that on my '73 mahogany D-25. Perhaps it says something about Guild's consistency in that era.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Good to see it is back home with an overhaul and a new coat of paint. Congrats.

wileypickett

Reaction score
The seller thought it was from '67, and I never checked the serial number!

Unfortunately the date stamped on the underside of the top next to the soundhole -- only visible with a mirror -- is little more than a smudge. The only vaguely discernable digit is a "7."

Question for Hans: according to what I've read in the archives, Guild stopped using Brazilian in 1969. Is this not true?

Or do you think this is a case of Guild having some leftover BRW and using it up?

Or could the body have been made prior to '71, but the guitar only completed in '71?

Thanks!

(And while I appreciate the pats on the back for having the work done, Guild's repair shop folks deserve all the applause!)

Glenn//.

refret

Reaction score
I've seen brazilian on Guild acoustics as late as 1976. They had a lot left over from before 1970 from whatI have been told. I've had a 1972 Brazilian D-50, a 1970 F-30 R with brazilian sides, a 1972 F-50R with highly figured brazilian sides and back, and lastly, a 1976 F-50R with brazilian sides.