NAD! 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WARNING! Non-Guild content.

After picking up a G&L Legacy and finding its thin neck fit my hands so, so well, I decided to sell my American Strat. I listed on CL and didn't really intend to consider any trade offers. That is, until someone offered a 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb as trade. He was a little non responsive with my request for more pics, but we've had major chaos and power outages thanks to some violent storms so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. The pic of the front looked good. I just hoped he wasn't trying to foster one of the reissue as as vintage, either knowingly or not.
We met up and he played my Strat through his amp. It sounded great! A little scratchiness turning the pots, but everything checked out, it was indeed an original 1965 Princeton Reverb!

I'm still without power after two days, so I can't play with it yet, but I think I came considerably ahead in the deal.

I'll post pics when power gets restored, for those interested.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
If that was a recent Am. Strat, you would appear to have come out way ahead on that deal! Congrats, and pics when you're able! Stay safe during your power outage.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, it was a 2008 Amer.Std.Strat. (that I traded a Gibson Les Paul Studio for.) It was in near mint condition but, so far, the Princeton rev. looks to be completely original, even down to the tubes, I think. I figure I doubled my value. :)

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Nice! Tube chart stamped Feb. '65. The speaker is a Jensen from 4th week of '66 so not original (nor is the speaker cable/plug) but you got a good deal on a real nice amp! Is that a 12" speaker? It looks kinda big. Front and rear plates still say Fender Electric - that's good, too. (As far as collectors go.) You should probably have the 2 prong cord changed to a grounded one, save the original (collector value again).

Enjoy the heck outta that one! Congrats!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff Haddad said:
Nice! Tube chart stamped Feb. '65. The speaker is a Jensen from 4th week of '66 so not original (nor is the speaker cable/plug) but you got a good deal on a real nice amp! Is that a 12" speaker? It looks kinda big. ... Congrats!
Thanks.

I made a crude makeshift calipers and measured the outside edge of the rim to the outer rim. Instead of 10" or 12", it was 11 3/4", a little undersized compared to the modern 12" speakers I have.
Over at TGP someone suggested it might be a Concert Series from '56 rather than '66.

Ravon

Reaction score
Great little amps (I had a silverface one). Congratulations Chris!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! I have an '08 AmDlx strat (love it) and see them sell for about $850.

I've bought a 1964 Princeton Reverb just like yours for $1000 and seen them sell for $1200 and up, so yeah, I'd say you scored. I tend to prefer the tweeds myself. Blackface Fenders have always been harsh to my ears, likely because of my hearing issues caused by too many cranked amps. :) That's why I sold mine (for a profit).

Get that cord changed out to a 3-prong and have the caps checked. If those tubes all work, you're in for a treat!

It's also common for the reverb tanks to have failed, so don't be surprised if that doesn't work. But if it does, you scored even bigger. In fact, that's such a nice score that if it were me, I'd put it right on Ebay with a reserve of $1200 and see how much I could make.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD said:
Get that cord changed out to a 3-prong and have the caps checked. If those tubes all work, you're in for a treat!
Its on the list.

GAD said:
It's also common for the reverb tanks to have failed, so don't be surprised if that doesn't work. But if it does, you scored even bigger. In fact, that's such a nice score that if it were me, I'd put it right on Ebay with a reserve of $1200 and see how much I could make.
I checked it out when we met up for the swap. He played my Strat through it. Reverb worked, trem worked, great sound.

I think this'll go into my permanent collection, it sounded too good to just flip for a profit.
8)