D'Addario extra light strings on F512

Ardor13

Reaction score
Right, but the primary issue for the OP was stress on fretting hand, and I'm pretty sure that those may still have higher overall tension even 2 steps down than the SB's he settled on for now.
What I do like about GHS' site is that that they actually have a table showing tension of a given string at different pitches, so one could calculate that tension I desired.
The secondary issue was overall tone; and the simple issue of how much that lowered tension affects things like "snap" and sustain for hammer-ons, etc, even fret buzz if "too floppy".
IIRC a silk-core set whether SS or SB is still going to yield the lowest overall tensions available.
:smile:

fwiw, GHS has a PDF string guide with tension summations per set...

http://www.ghsrep.net/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/ghs_acoustic_guitar_string_guide.pdf

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fuzzy and inaccurate nomenclature are the curse for 12 string gauging and tuning. There is no industry-wide standardization for "extra light", "light", "medium" and "heavy". What's light for one manufacturer is medium for another. So it's great that people are referencing the actual numbers in the various string sets. But I would point out that when doing so we need to have the low bass number also, to have the full range. I say this because I have found that many if not most of the commercially available heavier gauge string sets are too heavy on the bass end. An LKSM 12er, for example, when strung and tuned to spec, one and a half steps (3 frets) low, puts 323 lbs of tension on the guitar. Way too much. It starts off fine, .013 tuned to C# is about right. But by the time they get to the bottom end they have piled on so much that it's unacceptable for me. And...if a note on a guitar is played 1 fret higher or lower the note note changes by a semitone or a half-step. Two semitones, or two frets, make a step. The conflation of "steps" and "frets" has been an endless source of confusion. Okay, rant over. Rock on!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not answering the op:s question, but here's what I have been using for years without problems.
Guild Phosphor Bronze - 13-57 on F512 - one full step down - open tunings more down.
- I like the "sounds like piano" a´la Leo Kottke or "sounds like church" a´la John Fahey

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fwiw, GHS has a PDF string guide with tension summations per set...

http://www.ghsrep.net/uploads/2/2/2/5/22258814/ghs_acoustic_guitar_string_guide.pdf
Right, and even tension of individual strings at different pitches in each family chart.

I say this because I have found that many if not most of the commercially available heavier gauge string sets are too heavy on the bass end. An LKSM 12er, for example, when strung and tuned to spec, one and a half steps (3 frets) low, puts 323 lbs of tension on the guitar. Way too much.
Yepyepyep, that's what I was getting at about PB vs SS/SB overall: It's possible to get lower tension at standard than with a full-metal set even dropped a whole step.
It starts off fine, .013 tuned to C# is about right. But by the time they get to the bottom end they have piled on so much that it's unacceptable for me. And...if a note on a guitar is played 1 fret higher or lower the note note changes by a semitone or a half-step. Two semitones, or two frets, make a step. The conflation of "steps" and "frets" has been an endless source of confusion. Okay, rant over. Rock on!
I think everybody participating here and in general most forum members do know that one.
And as I said it's the beauty of the GHS site, I didn't see a comparable chart anywhere else, that you can also nail down individual string tensions at given pitches to calculate a true total set tension if desired, and even construct your own custom set based on that, as long as the singles are available.
Always a catch.
But GHS immediately gained equal footing with my long-time-go-to D'Addario just for providing that chart, when I found it.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not answering the op:s question, but here's what I have been using for years without problems.
Guild Phosphor Bronze - 13-57 on F512 - one full step down - open tunings more down.
- I like the "sounds like piano" a´la Leo Kottke or "sounds like church" a´la John Fahey

When I make a string set like that I generally tune a bit lower, a step and a half or two steps down, but we are absolutely in the same frame of mind.

' Strang

Ardor13

Reaction score
About the Martin Retros, I'm really interested to see what they do, as they claim to leave a woodier tone. Hopefully removes the crash. I was impressed with them on my friends taylor 6 string, which are otherwise notoriously bright.

in general, 12 string is always a different animal. Adding 6 extra high-strung strings introduces a huge high frequency variable that can become dramatically pleasing or unfavorable, per one's chosen string set, and desired results. And of course the ergonomic eccentricities of pressing down 2 strings.

I see the string tension on the Martin Retros. I tried some DR Rare PB's recently on a Taylor 855, which are marketed as having lower string tension than other PBs, but they killed my fingers much worse than Daddario PB's. I thought okay, low string tension maybe, but perhaps there's more to it, such as composition.. some of which you alluded to: Round or hex core, manufacturing process of the metal and winding, different alloy sourcing, metallurgy secrets, etc etc. It is the glory of kings to search out a matter. :)
FYI, I finally tried Martin retros xl’s on my 512. while they are the best xl’s I’ve ever used, I’m not a fan of these either… still too much tin .
I think I am going to order some GHS Silk/Bronze's. Al, I agree GHS does sure have a unique string lineup. It's unfortunate not more of the string types have a 12 string set.

That said, I just realized I have some Daddario PB extra lights (EJ41) on hand.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD...ng_Acoustic_Guitar_Strings__Extra_Light__9_45

I calculated the string tensions for the PB Lights at 218 pounds. The GHS Silk and Bronze's are 213.8, so I conclude that the PB XL's have a similar chance, and at 4 pounds more, perhaps an extra touch of meat. ( Would be so convenient if Daddario would sum all the sets by poundage instead of just giving individual string weights. )

I think I'll throw the PBXL's on while I'm waiting for the Silk/Bronze. Before/If I take the PB/XL's off, I might experiment by blending in some other strings. It's definitely going the extra mile, but one thing I rarely hear people talk about is blending 12 string sets to get the right balance of their goals, when discrete sets don't quite do the trick.

Thankfully I also just got ahold of a music nomad string winding drill bit. I just tested and confirmed that these bits will fit on the Guild f512 head-stocks without knocking adjacent pegs. This will make life easier

https://smile.amazon.com/Music-Noma...sic+nomad+bit&qid=1568126143&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Holy thread revival Batman, thought I’d log back in and provide this update. I finally ended up trying GHS Phospher Bronzes on my maple 512 after the above post of 2019, and they stayed on my guitar until last week. Really loved these strings a lot. While the volume is obviously much lower, there was plenty of warmth and sparkle. i learned the low volume doesnt require you to sing vocals as loud, which is convenient for the non amplified vibe. As with any strings, it takes playing them right to wake them up, but thes silk and bronze really would chime, and punch a little bit with a woody sound. I still miss 8020 daddarios, but the silk and bronze really lets me play more due to the softness and lower tension. I had them tuned down a full step, and they still would play well and not become too flabby or thin on the low and high ends Respectively, and capo 2 still had enough tension to sound decent. Tuning to standard sounded “better” but was still a fair amount of tension, so I preferred a full step down,

incidentally, I just bought a pack of GHS silk and steels, thinking I would change my strings and Had forgotten I used silk and bronze before. I guess I’ll try these silk and steels and see how they sound although I’m not sure they will provide the warmth and balance I had with silk bronze. Some people said more meat on bone with silk bronze. Whereas others like silk steel. GHS website claims SS are warm. I’ll post my results, hopefully not three years from now,

Curious if you all have thoughts regarding GHS “Silk and Bronze” vs “Silk and Steels”.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
Curious if you all have thoughts regarding GHS “Silk and Bronze” vs “Silk and Steels”.
The Silk & Steels have a soft feel and warm tone, not as loud as PB's - the Silk & Bronze feel and play like ordinary PB strings but with a warmer tone.

Ll9gklkl.jpg

portsider

Reaction score
I've used Ernie Ball Earthwood Lights on my Guild 12's for years. When I got my F112 it came with d'addario ex lights(EJ41) . They are almost the same. The Ernie's are a little heavier on a couple of the strings but they play and feel the same.
I tune to concert and they both sound great. Heavier strings are too hard to play especially up the neck. I wish I'd learned to tune down years ago, but now I am committed to standard tuning. I've written so many songs that go up and down the neck and I'm not going to spend years adjusting.
My experience hasn't sown any tonal benefit from heavier strings. Perhaps my style just works with Ex Lights .