JSII Electronics

Reaction score
Hello. New guy here with a question about the JS2. I've had one for years, but just started playing a few months ago. A couple days ago when I was playing with some friends I noticed that I didn't have any volume control over my bridge pickup. Mostly I've played through the neck p/u, but recently started using the bridge p/u and I could have sworn that the bottom knob controlled the volume for it. But now the bottom knob seems to act like a mild tone control, and the top knob only controls the volume for the neck p/u.
So, I was wondering if I'm just crazy and the bottom knob IS a tone control rather than volume control, or if perhaps some wiring fried and I indeed lost volume control over the bridge p/u. It seems awfully strange to not be able to control the volume of the bridge p/u, so I'm thinking the wiring must have fried - but just wanted to check with some people who would know for certain what the control knobs actually control.
Thanks in advance!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
---NT--- said:
Hello. New guy here with a question about the JS2. I've had one for years, but just started playing a few months ago. A couple days ago when I was playing with some friends I noticed that I didn't have any volume control over my bridge pickup. Mostly I've played through the neck p/u, but recently started using the bridge p/u and I could have sworn that the bottom knob controlled the volume for it. But now the bottom knob seems to act like a mild tone control, and the top knob only controls the volume for the neck p/u.
So, I was wondering if I'm just crazy and the bottom knob IS a tone control rather than volume control, or if perhaps some wiring fried and I indeed lost volume control over the bridge p/u. It seems awfully strange to not be able to control the volume of the bridge p/u, so I'm thinking the wiring must have fried - but just wanted to check with some people who would know for certain what the control knobs actually control.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome. I took the liberty of starting a new topic. Each PU has an individual volume and tone control and what you describe sounds like something is wrong.

I'm not sure you have the original knobs (assuming your avatar picture is of your bass) so below is a picture of mine. Note that they are labeled Volume and Tone. If you draw a line between the output jack and the tone switch then the knobs on the left (or bass) side of the line control the neck PU and the knobs on the left (treble) side control the bridge PU. Obviously the PU selector switch effects things since if the PU is not selected then the corresponding knobs don't function.

200%2526_09_05_Guild%2520014.jpg

For reference, a hand drawn schematic with values

JSCCA.jpg

and a shot of the inside of the control cavity, just in case.

2007ShrineMont%2520075.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, Frono! I'll have to double-check what's going on, as I had thought the bottom-most controlled the bridge volume (and maybe someone re-wired mine so that it does?). When I was playing the other night I fiddled around with all the knobs trying to get some volume control on the bridge and wasn't able to - so at least you've confirmed that SOMETHING is wrong, and that's a big help.
And yes - that is a photo of my bass as my avatar. Someone swapped out the control knobs at some point. I like the look, but they aren't labeled as vol/tone which could have helped me answer my own question.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow-up to verify that the volume pot has gone bad. I'll have it replaced and back to fully-functioning by the end of the week!