so we all like Guilds but what amp are you using most?

Qvart

Reaction score
tele4tone said:
I am tempted to go stereo with these tho.

CHAMPS.jpg

Nice!

I miss my old Fender Champ (like the right side of your stereo setup :lol: ). It was a hand-me-down but definitely sounded great. I beat the hell out of it though and ended up selling it to a shop where one of the guys retools them. Had no idea what I had at the time. :drat:

Despot

Reaction score
Depends on what guitar I'm using and how much volume I want, but my current set-ups are as follows:

Home/Practice
JMI AC4 (handwired reissue of the old 60s Vox AC4s) with the guitar going straight into the amp. Only two of my guitars make the AC4 go straight into drive ... an 80s LP Custom with those horrible circuit board humbuckers (if you know Manic Street Preachers 'Motorcycle Emptiness' - that sound) and the '74 Starfire IV I picked up at the weekend. The HB1s send the AC4 straight into a fantastic saturated overdrive at anything other than whisper volume levels.

Rehearsal/Small gig
Deluxe Reverb RI with either a Klon Clone (I use one made by an Irish guy called Jimmy Behan, not sure if it's totally klon-like, but it sounds great) or a Fulldrive II. If more volume is needed I switch out the Deluxe for a Vibrolux reissue. I used to use a Bluesbreaker, but found that it was just too damn heavy to drag around. The Deluxe is usually loud enough for me and it's light enough to carry.

alpep

Reaction score
1961 brown fender princeton modified with a 12" celestian blue speaker

maa

Reaction score
My main amp is a Swart AST. A really amazing amp, based on an old gibson amp.

But when I `m playing at larger scenes, I also have a Vox AC15 handwired or/and a `76 Fender Super Reverb that I use.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Lately I've been playing this:

5e3profronthires.jpg

It's a tweed Deluxe-style circuit with 6L6's, a Bandmaster PT and old Hammond OT in a tweed Pro size cab with a 15" speaker. The picture below shows the circuit although I've put a 1960 C15N and a Weber copper cap rectifier in it instead of the Weber Cali and solid state plug shown.

5e3proinnards.jpg

Although there's just 2 volume and 1 tone control, these amps are more versatile than you'd expect due to the interactive nature of the circuit.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My amp lineup has shifted quite a bit lately. sold two and consigned another. Which still leaves me with some very satisfactory choices.

Rehearsal space, NYC band: Allen Encore head into 4x12 Marshall cab.

Rehearsal space, NJ band: '58 Gibson GA40

Most gigs, home use: A Victoria Trem de la Trem, 1x15 15 watts or so. Or a Gries 20, which is an excellent take on the BFDR formula, 20 watts with MV and superior reverb. My big dog amp for louder gigs is the Sewell Wampus Cat, a 35 watt variant on the old tweed pro formula. Recently rebuilt and revitalized by the talented Jimmy Somma. I'm totally enamored of 1x15 amps.

MD

Alan_M

Reaction score
My rig has changed quite a bit since this first went up, so here is an update. Currently running an Orange Dark Terror into a PC112 cabinet and the Fender Blues Deluxe. I generally run them at the same time, using a Radial Big Shot A-B-Y. I run the Swollen Pickle fuzz into the Fender when I want fuzz/distortion from it, or the built in clean and OD channels. The pedals also include a Vox V846-HW, Xotic SP compressor, MXR Phase 90, EHX Neo-Mistres flanger, Dunlop Rotovibe, Ernie Ball VP Jr volume, Pigtonix Echolution, TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb, MXR Smartgate and a GoGo tuner.
It took a lot of trial and error, but I have to say that at the moment :roll: I am 100% satisfied with my tone. My only gear change in the future will be an upgrade to the stock pickups in my Strat.

dsc01234w.jpg

Qvart

Reaction score
It was on the fritz for awhile, but now it's back in action. And it's a beast.

DSCN2393_zpsd1ee90c4.jpg

kitniyatran

Reaction score
I have a Fender Blues Jr.
51d25b85153ac3aa72f4399567d87cf52032d31.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy pic). (Mic is a Shure model 51S, has paper info dated 1967.)

But I prefer my 1965 Epiphone Galaxie EA33RVT.
kgrhqz10.jpg

Sometimes I run a cord from the Epi to the Blues Jr, but I only dabble at home, so I don't even need the full power of either, let alone both.

But I swapped my electric guitar(Kay Swing Master, 1957 - 1960) for an Eastwood Airline Mandola.
Stock Photo from Eastwood:
airline2_mandola_black-0dc911cfff.jpg

guildman63

Reaction score
I just broke down and ordered a George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe. I play mostly jazz with a little blues, and while this is very similar to the original HRD, there are a few differences. This GB model has a solid pine cabinet making it lighter and improving the tone a little. It also has a 100W Jensen ceramic speaker with a 12AT7 in the first preamp slot which allows you to nearly dime the volume without it breaking up. Of course if you want the dirt it still has the Drive and More Drive channels, which I probably won't use much. It's kind of like a baby Twin on the clean channel at half the weight, with the Hot Rod dirt channels on the side. Here are a few links: the first being a thorough demo, and the others being performances in blues/jazz. I can't wait to get it and will be sure to post a review as soon as I can.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PG8PlRZ-dAU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTMt6yeWCo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKoCDJvvLw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x4otSwVSp9Q

And to quote George Benson: "And you can get happy with it, see? It ain't goin' nowhere. It ain't gonna fluff out on you. It ain't gonna wrinkle up and distort...unless you want it to."

Last edited:

laut

Reaction score
I built a Princeton with a 12" speaker and 6L6s that sounds fabulous with my Starfire. It is loud and fairly clean, with a great bias-wiggle tremolo. Also, light and compact.

I also built a 50w plexi to late 60s specs (it's a bit of a mix on specs actually) and a 2x12 cabinet with reproduction greenbacks by Weber. I can get a fantastic rock sound out of that. Again the Starfire sounds great through it. With those 2 amps, I can cover the complete spectrum of sound I'm interested in.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear your report - the Benson HRD is very good-looking - I like the tolex and s&p grille cloth combination. I didn't realize it was a solid pine cab. I wonder how a 12AY7 would sound in the preamp?

Jahn

Reaction score
The Starfire VI is a raw beast that must only be fed Fender Tweed. I have a Harvard that does the trick.