so we all like Guilds but what amp are you using most?

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My Deluxe Reverb. Tried so many other amps but this one really has what I like.
144821434.jpg

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks.
It started out as a reissue but I gutted it and did a point to point chassis and put Mercury Mag Transformers in it. I globalized the Reverb and Vibrato and put a mid Boost on the normal channel volume knob (Push/Pull) which is voiced different than Vibrato channel. I than built a pine cabinet and covered with the correct tolex for the mid 60's. I run both channels at the same time using a Radial Tonebone JX-2 - It has proved to be a great little setup for me.

144827285.jpg

Sal

Reaction score
MrBoZiffer , I would love to hear and play those amps, especially the Deluxe. Here are my two. The Deluxe Reverb is a reissue and the tweed is a '55 Princeton. I also have a 77 Jazz Chorus I put in the basement 20 years ago and haven't had it out since.

Amps01.jpg

Alan_M

Reaction score
I'm playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe on the clean channel of the amp, using a Tonebone Plexitube. So I have the options of Channel 1 or 2 of the pedal into clean or drive channel of the amp, or the bypass of the pedal into the clean or drive the amp. That gives me one distinct clean, and 3 distinct distortions, plus 2 more distortions that I don't really use. The Plexitube gets a pretty good plexi Marshall tone, and doesn't have to be loud at all to get it, as it starves the tubes for power rather than overloading them. So basically I can set the volume of the pedal where I need it, and don't need to touch the amp unless I really want to crank it. This was I set my amp all clean to one level, then match that volume on drive. Then I can either bypass the Tonebone to get clean or drive naturally out of the amps settings, then set the pedal to appropriate settings against the open clean volumes, so that my channel 1 pedal is my normal distortion sound, and channel 2 is the lead overdriven tone. The only downside is the amp itself, when it comes to volume in general. The sweep is not very consistent. It goes from 0 to practice level volume in the first click of the volume. By "2" it's getting pretty loud and then the sweep up to 10 is very slightly changing. I'm going to start looking at some smaller head/cab combos like the Hughes&Kettner's, or a different combo amp to see if there is a better setup for my tastes... and there always is, isn't that so? :lol:

Ravon

Reaction score
Alan_M said:
I'm playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe on the clean channel of the amp, using a Tonebone Plexitube. So I have the options of Channel 1 or 2 of the pedal into clean or drive channel of the amp, or the bypass of the pedal into the clean or drive the amp. That gives me one distinct clean, and 3 distinct distortions, plus 2 more distortions that I don't really use. The Plexitube gets a pretty good plexi Marshall tone, and doesn't have to be loud at all to get it, as it starves the tubes for power rather than overloading them. So basically I can set the volume of the pedal where I need it, and don't need to touch the amp unless I really want to crank it. This was I set my amp all clean to one level, then match that volume on drive. Then I can either bypass the Tonebone to get clean or drive naturally out of the amps settings, then set the pedal to appropriate settings against the open clean volumes, so that my channel 1 pedal is my normal distortion sound, and channel 2 is the lead overdriven tone. The only downside is the amp itself, when it comes to volume in general. The sweep is not very consistent. It goes from 0 to practice level volume in the first click of the volume. By "2" it's getting pretty loud and then the sweep up to 10 is very slightly changing. I'm going to start looking at some smaller head/cab combos like the Hughes&Kettner's, or a different combo amp to see if there is a better setup for my tastes... and there always is, isn't that so? :lol:
I've got a '96 Blues Deluxe and love the thing. I play straight into either the drive or clean channel, no effects with most guitars and music. I have the mid and presence set low with the reverb set to taste and pretty much the rest straight up. I found I use my guitar volume control more as well as a lighter technique when the volumes straight up +/-. It's really night and day from when it's cold to when it's hot. It helps sometimes depending on the place, to face the grill around.

alpep

Reaction score
1961 brown princeton. pretty much all original specs except all caps changed and any low rated resistors.

I got the amp as a basket case and it had no tolex on it when I got it. I had the amp recovered and since it did not have a speaker baffle I had a baffle cut for a 12" speaker. I had a celestian blue bulldog copy in a trace elliott vellocette so I took it out and put in in the fender. wow did it ever open that amp up. it is a very efficient speaker and I use that amp for most of my small gigs. pure magic

Reaction score
I have had a 1964 Fender Tremolux with a Fender 2X12 bottom with 12" Celestion green backs for over 30 years but at 30 watts it's pretty loud when the wife's home. I just picked up a VHT Special 6 Ultra used for 165.00. I changed out the Chinese tubes for old USA tubes and I can't believe what a nice little amp this is, especially for the money. It has output for 3 watts, 6 watts and a boost channel. I am real happy with it and so is the wife.
Thanks John

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
at 30 watts it's pretty loud when the wife's home

That's why you need to play when she's out!

I had a Special 6 (not Ultra) which was a pretty nice amp - kinda tweed champ-like. You should try your VHT through the Tremolux cab - my Special 6 sounded really big, but not too loud through a 2x12.

jmac

Reaction score
I play a X-160 Rockabilly. My amp is a Fender Jazz King. I don't use any effects, the sound is great. I'll try to get a sound clip uploaded

Alan_M

Reaction score
"This is my new Risen Blackbird. Great amp, EL34 based."

Very attractive amp!

Ravon

Reaction score
  • Here's my mid '90's Blues Deluxe (forgive the unfocus on the amp)Behind it is my 'Twin Amp' as well as my reissue Danelectro
  • 030.jpg

Smokestackelropo

Reaction score
Marshall JTM 45 with nos mullard preamp glass and cp KT66s. thru a Marshall 1936 with Eminence barkin blues speaker set.

Just_Guild

Reaction score
Mostly my 1971 Fender Twin Reverb since that essentially is the only amp I have.

Plus occasionally my 1966 Fender Vibro Champ (see related thread, Amazing Vibro Champ Amp) for the story.

232323232%7Ffp635%3A7%3Enu%3D8%3A68%3E%3B66%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D3552888933349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73433%3Enu%3D8%3A68%3E%3B66%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D3552888936349nu0mrj

Would like to get a more acoustic oriented amp sometime in the future (any suggestions?).