so we all like Guilds but what amp are you using most?

blakeley311

Reaction score
I am one of those people who is NEVER happy with tone or guitars so I buy and sell often. I just got rid of a Rivera combo in favor of a second S100 (details on Friday). Now I am on the hunt for a good amp and wondered what everyone is playing.

I am a HUGE fan of the plexi tone. I am not a huge fan of the volume. When I go amp shopping I will either go with:

Obviously not all of these have Plexi tone...

Deluxe Reverb / Box of Rock
Orange Rocker 30 / 2x12
Plexi Clone / 2x12 (Germino, Rheinhardt, Ceriatone or likewise)

Let's hear what you guys dig!

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've just returned to my rig of the mid-90's and wonder why I ever left:

SOVTEK MIG-50
on top of a
SOVTEK 4x10 slant.

Really great, rich, CLEAN sound. Just add stomp boxes.

Qvart

Reaction score
The only amp I have (besides a Peavey practice amp) - JCM900 and Peavey 4x12:

557769_3749376862283_1512192942_33117863_794268649_n.jpg

(Sound improved by switching out the preamp 12AX7 for a 12AT7 per cap'njuan. RIP.)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My main bass rig has always been a Sunn 200S with a 2x15 EV SRO speaker bottom, but I also have a Hartke HA2000 head with a 4x10 and 1x15 Hartke bottom. Interestingly enough, my Pilot bass sounds better with the Hartke and 4x10 bottom. In fact, I'm liking the Pilot bass better than my original owner '73 Fender P-Bass. :shock:

I've just bought a Lindy Fralin pickup for the P-Bass to hopefully breathe some life back into it. We'll see after it goes in.

Geo

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie Maverick 4x10.........

Just like Kent said, "Rich, CLEAN sound. Just add stomp boxes."

Love it!! :mrgreen:

George

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For Jazz, my '60 Guild 99J. Combined with my X-170 it's magic.

For all else, I'm a Vox man. AC30 for that classic sound, Valvetronix for all others and effects.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool Cliff!

I'm a big chicken when it comes to plate voltages. :shock:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The old S-90 sounds amazing through the Allen Encore head and a 1x15 cab. Actually, it sounds good through every amp I have.

The red bluesbird seemed a bit pickier, which I attributed to the stock p/us. Ordered a set of Tom Short undercover minis for it, waiting on them now. In the meantime, I scored a used Victoria Trem de la Trem 1x15 combo - essentially a replica of one of Fender's tweed tremolux amps.

Took the Victoria and the bluesbird to a friends house over the weekend. Here's how good that amp sounded with the bluesbird. He owns a '64 Firebird VII, one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. Never even pulled it out of the case. The BB was rocking, and he couldn't stop playing it. That Trem de la Trem is one fine amp, and I'm beginning to realize how lucky I was to encounter this Bluesbird.
MD

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heh, tough question and one that I'm not going to disclose on a publicly viewable forum. :lol:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SWR California Blonde. And I have the sore back to prove it.

Dave :D

Geo

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying an acoustic amp and the "California Blonde" is high on the list. 8)

George

gilded

Reaction score
When I play out with my band (around 12x a year these days) I use a '68 Fender Princeton Reverb behind a plexiglass screen. I mic it by hanging a Shure SM57 on the front of it.

I used to use a Blues Jr., but the sound I got was inconsistent (too many knobs for an old man, I guess). Before that, I used a '65 Vibrolux Reverb, but it was really easy to overpower the 'Front of House' PA if I couldn't use the screen, plus the on-stage volume was hard on the drummer and the other guitarist.

The Princeton seems to work, at least for now. Sound guys love the screen, too.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Geo said:
I've been thinking about buying an acoustic amp and the "California Blonde" is high on the list. 8)

George

They sound great, George. Lots of power at 160 watts. But 56 pounds!

Dave :D

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
this for recording and rehearsal alone:
CIMG3450.jpg

my wuzzatone 8made by coastie99) lil' lrysh custom pimped champ clone.

and this for live and band rehearsals:
k-studiotools-100303.jpg

carr "the vincent" (now called viceroy), my custom made full tube power amp with 103w and my 2 koch pedaltone preamps.

and here my momentary pedalboard:
CIMG3448.jpg

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I just got out my '70 Pro Reverb after not playing it for a few months. It sounded real good with my X175 for blues/rockabilly/surf. It still has the original Oxford 12T6 speakers in.

As far as plexi tone at more manageable volume - the Dr Z remedy gets great reviews. 20 or 40 watts switchable and internally jumpered with two volume controls for bright and normal. I've got a Carmen Ghia that I really like - it's my first Z, hopefully not my last!

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I'm happy with my old PR for the '64 Starfire. If I need more juice I'll mike it.

emeraldstar.jpg

Zelja

Reaction score
My two main amps are a 1964 Fender Vibrolux Reverb & a Valvetech Hayseed 30 head, which is a Vox AC30 clone. It has the Top Boost Channel, a Normal Channel & an EF86 channel. I had it modded to add a 6 position tone click switch to the EF86 channel a la Matchless, 65Amps, /13 etc. Also modded the Normal channel to be like two different bright channels (added switchable treble bright caps) and added a defeatable mid pot on the Top Boost channel. Love this amp, lots of different usueable tones from clean to mean & also the Vibrolux of course, which is a classic.

Also have a 1974 Vox AC50 head, a silverface Fender Champ, an Aiken Intruder head & a Bassman 50 head, plus a few speaker boxes of course. I'm probably going to sell all of these in the coming months, bar maybe the Bassman 50. Oh yeah, the Champ is with my god-daughter, so she can have it as long as she wants.

I also have a Fractal Audio AXE-FX II, which is fantastic for playing along with CDs, MP3s etc, practising & recording. I cam imagine it would be great live too if played through a power amp/speakers or good quality powered monitors.

tele4tone

Reaction score
If you like the JTM flavored amps I highly recommend Risen Amps. I've owned 2 different amps and played a 3rd extensively. The R45 sounds great and has a Master volume function that is great for lower volume clubs. It is very Marshall flavored. They use a lot of american made parts and everything is handwired by one guy. Check them out. http://www.risenamps.com/

temporary-39.jpg