Foldable Guitar

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On Good Morning America they were raving about this guitar this morning and mentioned several big name stars are buying 'em up. Reviews are all 5-star.

I don't travel by air as much now that I'm retired, but I probably would have purchased one of these a few years ago when I did travel extensively. Three models. This is the OM Songwriter version...

http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Air-Songwr ... d_sim_MI_1

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've seen a number of favorable posts on other lists, both for its convenience and sound.
Brad

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
A frequent-flier friend has one and I've played it a few times. It's a pretty decent guitar... not great but not bad, and it does the folding thing easily and unfolds quickly.

He likes it for travel but at home he has other guitars he prefers. It has its own little case too. It's great if you travel a lot and want to take a guitar safely on the plane but otherwise I'd prefer a set neck instrument.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I got one of these, just as I stopped traveling :D Neat design and decent guitar for the price point. If you're interested I'll let it go for what I have in it. Send me a pm.
T

spiderman

Reaction score
Just like T I got a Voyage-Air (VAOM-06) just as I stopped traveling. I have not been overly pleased, it came in with a bridge that had not been adequately glued down, sent it back. After a few months came back with a very high action, I let it sit thinking it would settle in. After some months I sent it back. A month or so later they sent me a new one, guess what bridge not adequately glued. Sent it back, they returned it, it is OK now but action is a bit high, will diddle with it and probably give it to my daughter who travels. From some of the reviews on AGF you'd think these were Somogyis or Olsens. When they are in proper shape, they are OK guitars for the money, although in my opinion Seagull easily beats them, with the foldable neck hook. There are other similar guitars with removable necks, such as the Brenner, but they are way more costly.
YMMV

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson

Tanque Verde

Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Voyage Airs I've played. For me, it's the most stress-free way to fly with a guitar. As roughly as air travelers cram their rollerboards into overhead compartments, I would never want to leave a guitar neck exposed. Voyage Air solves that problem.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I should add to my earlier comment that I don't know the brand of the one I played.

alpep

Reaction score
I have a close friend that has one and she loves it