New, I mean new GD

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
After 40 plus years of mucking about with guitars I recently bought my very first new one. Strictly used until now.

I had an afternoon off recently and wandered into a couple of music stores up near Baltimore. Shop one I played a Martin M36 that was terrific. At upwards of $2,400 it should be. Also a Martin 000-28 that was nice but I felt a bit subdued compared to the M. Shop two is a small, very friendly place, the Appalachian Bluegrass Shoppe. They had a bunch of Martins, Taylors, a few Bedells and Eastmans. I'm not all that interested in dreads as my Guild D-60 and D-35 pretty much have that area covered so again I focus on the smaller bodies. An Eastman AC722, 000 size, gets my attention and all it takes one G chord to know this is a great guitar. I A/B it with a OM-21, a 000-28, a 000-18, a bunch of Taylors, a couple other Eastmans and I just become even more enamored with the AC722. I ask one of the store guys to play the guitar and a few others and again, the AC722 just sounds great. I had no intention of buying anything. In fact I've been in sell mode of late, w/ a Martin 12 string and a Guild GF-30 heading to new owners. But this one really spoke to me.

So, here she is.
EastmanAC722002.jpg
EastmanAC722003.jpg
EastmanAC722006.jpg
EastmanAC722008.jpg

Some skinny for those that might be interested.
http://www.eastmanguitars.com/ac722/

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats on the first BRAND-SPANKIN' NEW guitar, even!! She's a beauty alright. I guess the fact that you weren't even in "buy" mode speaks to the fact of how good it sounds..... Play it in good health, my friend!! :)

Geo

Reaction score
Good for you!! :wink:

She sure is a pretty. 8)

She must play and sound as good as she looks since as Tom said, you weren't really planning on buying. :mrgreen:

George

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
She's a beauty! Nothing like that "new guitar smell". Congrats. Last time I bought a brand new guitar was 1987. Hmmmmm....

Frosty

Reaction score
Very nice - congratulations!

Peeked at the specs... big fan of Englemann soundboards myself.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frosty said:
Very nice - congratulations!

Me too. The Engelmann Spruce top on my D18DC is the most perfectly quartersawn slab of wood I've ever seen, and the sound that come out of that box is pure Martin at its finest. 8)

Good luck with that beauty J. I love the rosette!

Ravon

Reaction score
Heard good things about their archtops as well, they sure look nice.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Frosty said:

Interesting you mention that. The bright white Englemann I first found a bit off putting, visually. I guess I'm used to having a bit of patina on my guitars. Now, I've grown to really like it. I can't really speak to the sonic differences between Sitka, Adi, Englemann, etc.. I just know I love the way this little box sounds.