$2-3K is not that much to pay for a guitar

MrBoZiffer

Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently. How is it that guitars, especially vintage, command so much money? I mean, these prices are insane. I realize all the textbook economic theories such a scarcity and specialization, and then of course the idea that these are "works of art" that can also make art, but it just seems like our culture's priorities are way off. Paying $50-$100k for an instrument--an arguably mediocre instrument by comparison--is truly astonishing and even revealing. I think much of it has to do with shallowness, honestly. And that's especially true when it comes to old strats and teles or flame-top LPs.

That being said, I'm certainly guilty of indulging too much when it is absolutely nonsensical. Right now I have three amps. I want to sell at least one. I've been racking my brain trying to decide which to let go. All three are 1x12s with 6V6 pairs based on the Fender Deluxe (one is a Deluxe). They're essentially all identical but I'm nitpicking nuances as if I'm trying to split an atom. :roll:

Guitars = insanity. :lol:

Ravon

Reaction score
I should show this link to all my friends and family :wink:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
MrBoZiffer said:
I was thinking about this recently. How is it that guitars, especially vintage, command so much money? I mean, these prices are insane. I realize all the textbook economic theories such a scarcity and specialization, and then of course the idea that these are "works of art" that can also make art, but it just seems like our culture's priorities are way off. Paying $50-$100k for an instrument--an arguably mediocre instrument by comparison--is truly astonishing and even revealing. I think much of it has to do with shallowness, honestly. And that's especially true when it comes to old strats and teles or flame-top LPs.

That being said, I'm certainly guilty of indulging too much when it is absolutely nonsensical. Right now I have three amps. I want to sell at least one. I've been racking my brain trying to decide which to let go. All three are 1x12s with 6V6 pairs based on the Fender Deluxe (one is a Deluxe). They're essentially all identical but I'm nitpicking nuances as if I'm trying to split an atom. :roll:

Guitars = insanity. :lol:
It is unfair to say it is our culture's priorities are way off. By doing so, you are insinuating that we are unique. If you look throughout history, almost every culture has a unjustifiable fascination with something the don't really need. Gold, jewels, sea shells....

It seems to be human nature to put value in items that are hard to find or rare. Silly? Absolutely. I am not the biggest fan of the movie "Fight Club" but it does offer a different perspective on life that is interesting. A vintage guitar is similar to rare stones, old paintings, old cars. They do offer a piece of history, but at the end of the day, you can't eat them and they won't keep us warm at night. Unless they are flammable.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember my one and only trip to New York City and going to Mandolin Brothers. That upstairs room is UNREAL!! I got a special tour and they were REALLY nice but I kept fretting that I was gonna trip on the ripply carpet and plow through a vintage Martin and D'Angelico New Yorker all in one fell swoop and cause a half a million dollars worth of damage.

I was VERY relieved to get back downstairs where the carpeting was smoother and the guitars far less expensive.

If you wanna talk about whacked priorities take a look at our sports greats and look at their salaries. They play games for a living...... jeeze.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
If you wanna talk about whacked priorities take a look at our sports greats and look at their salaries. They play games for a living...... jeeze.

Or how about "The Scream" just selling for 120 million, and it's not the only one; there's four of them? :shock:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Tom: regarding our sports icons, just count how many of them, with their bloated salaries, declare bankruptcy a few years after retirement. It is nuts to see how many can't handle their money.

Jim: thanks for the other link. I just posted a thread with that link an hour ago. Very interesting stuff.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Tom: regarding our sports icons, just count how many of them, with their bloated salaries, declare bankruptcy a fe years after retirement. It is nuts to see how many can't handle their money.

Jim: thanks for the other link. I just posted a thread with that link an hour ago. Very interesting stuff.

But think about it Ridge. You take kids....kids who have been told all of their lives that they are better than anyone else kids that have rarely been told "No" and are used to getting virtually anything they like (in college and after turning pro), and they've never been responsible for anything other than their performance on the field. Then throw in the partying and the women. Then combine that with the agents and bloodsuckers who's only objective is to get their hands on the athlete's $ millions. Just a bad combination, and the reason so many go broke.

I can remember many years ago when Tony Dorsett signed for an unheard of $850,000/year and just a few years later, filed for bankruptcy a couple of years after retirement.

Back to the guitars.........I'd be all over Gruhn's '42 D45 is it hadn't had a cracked headstock :shock: :shock: :shock: What was it.......$140,000?

West

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
twocorgis said:
davismanLV said:

Or how about "The Scream" just selling for 120 million, and it's not the only one; there's four of them? :shock:
Agreed, Sandy. It's a work of art that hangs on a wall. The best emotion it congers up would be "unsettling" in my case...... and it's usually worse than that.

That's ONE-HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS!!

Ridgemont said:
Tom: regarding our sports icons, just count how many of them, with their bloated salaries, declare bankruptcy a few years after retirement. It is nuts to see how many can't handle their money.
All too true, my friend. I wish I had even a small percentage of that money to NOT squander.

Sheesh.....

Ridgemont

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Ridgemont said:
Tom: regarding our sports icons, just count how many of them, with their bloated salaries, declare bankruptcy a fe years after retirement. It is nuts to see how many can't handle their money.

But think about it Ridge. You take kids....kids who have been told all of their lives that they are better than anyone else kids that have rarely been told "No" and are used to getting virtually anything they like (in college and after turning pro), and they've never been responsible for anything other than their performance on the field. Then throw in the partying and the women. Then combine that with the agents and bloodsuckers who's only objective is to get their hands on the athlete's $ millions. Just a bad combination, and the reason so many go broke.

I can remember many years ago when Tony Dorsett signed for an unheard of $850,000/year and just a few years later, filed for bankruptcy a couple of years after retirement.

West
Wait, don't tell me you have never dreamed about a swimming pool full of champaign and strippers. I can't think of a single kid who hasn't wanted that.

If you look at athletes today, there are many who were originally underprivileged and/or come from 3rd world countries (especially in baseball). So practically overnight, they go from rags to riches. But chances are, during their upbringing, they were never taught how to control enormous amounts of wealth. Control is not rocket science, but it is difficult to have if not embedded from an early age combined with your current day thinking that you are the king of the world. Too many ways to get taken advantage of.

That is why I choose to stay poor. Less to worry about. :lol:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Same discussion we've had before - Business 101 - you sell it for what someone will pay for it. And I agree with all of you that these prices are insane! But if someone buys it, it was a "fair" deal...

Then, of course, P.T. Barnum was very accurate - there's a sucker born every minute!

walrus

john_kidder

Reaction score
The total that I have paid for my guitars is probably about the same as a new pickup truck. So if I keep driving my '78 3/4 ton van for chores, I can keep the gits without guilt.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
john_kidder said:
The total that I have paid for my guitars is probably about the same as a new pickup truck. So if I keep driving my '78 3/4 ton van for chores, I can keep the gits without guilt.

You can rationalize with the best of 'em John! :lol:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sometimes its the cost of what really doesn't matter that amazes me... coffins for example....... :shock: Steffan

Ridgemont

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Sometimes its the cost of what really doesn't matter that amazes me... coffins for example....... :shock: Steffan
I believe that is not really for the deceased, but to prey on those who are left behind. :evil:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Look at the price of paintings.
The prices of vintage, rare, collectable things are simply based on demand.
If there are enough people willing to pay these prices, then that's what the items are worth.

Remember though that these are asking prices and not what was paid for the items.

In reality, that may be what draws us to Guilds. Fair prices on great guitars.
How good is that?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't believe Gruhn doesn't have those little locking devices on his wall hangers, gee whiz, I even have those on my guitar stands :shock:

I've also noted the comparison of prices for vintage paintings vs vintage instruments - at least you can play an instrument, all you can do with a painting is look at it. Even a rare, vintage Stradivarius goes for a fraction of what "The Scream" sold for; the highest price ever paid for a Strad was $16 million, previously the record was about $4 Million. Compare that to $120 Million for "The Scream." Not that any of us at LTG will ever be in the market for either of these items. :roll:

But life, liberty, the joy of making music; who can put a price on these? They are priceless :D :D :D