Expensive strings on a cheap guitar.

Geo

Reaction score
The folks up North and especially our Canadian friends have probably heard of and know how great Lado guitars are. I own two. The first one pictured I had custom made by the master luthier himself, “Joe Lado”,,, aka Joe Kovacic.

Last time I talked to Joe, he said he was retiring and going to build some high-end acoustics with his 45 year stockpile of Brazilian Rosewood.

All Canadian Lado guitars are handmade and the quality is outstanding. No offense to Leo but this is a Strat killer. :twisted:

Three piece neck,,, Neck thru design,,, birdseye maple fingerboard,,, Real McCoy made in Germany Floyd,,, Coil tap,,, on & on & on... :mrgreen:

Lado1.jpg
Lado2.jpg
Lado9.jpg
Lado8.jpg
Lado7.jpg

The second is a Lado Hawk,,, it’s an import from S. Korea. Joe had the “Hawk Series' guitars crafted there so younger entry level players could afford to buy them. They're Joe’s design and great guitars for the money.

This thread is to share how much the tone improved when I put a set of Thonstik-Infeld “Plectrum” strings on this inexpensive guitar. I can't believe the difference!! :shock:

If you’ve never tried these strings you should check them out. They’re pricey. This is the first set I’ve ever bought so I can’t say how well they will wear but the tone is incredible. I bought the AC111. They’re light gauge. You might want to get AC112 for even more tone. 8)

P1010463.jpg
P1010483.jpg
P1010473.jpg
P1010476.jpg
P1010467.jpg

George

kitniyatran

Reaction score
I have Thomastik strings on my Kay mandolin, over $30 street per set; and used double digit priced strings on my (now stolen)Victoria, made in the twenties or thirties by the company that became Kay. I have Pyramids, similar in price & characteristics to the Thomastiks, on my Washburn bowlback, that cost me about $70 shipped off ebay.

Sometimes it's worth it to put "overpriced" strings on "underpriced" instruments.

Thomastik's are often worth the higher price, anyway, as they'll often last far longer, as well as playing & sounding better, at least on some instruments.