Larrivee

rmiller9969

Reaction score
Who owns one? What do you think? I really like the ones I've played but they are hard to find here in Florida.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
rmiller9969 said:
Who owns one? What do you think? I really like the ones I've played but they are hard to find here in Florida.
Steffan (Taabru45) has, or had, one. Might want to send him a pm in case he doesn't see this.
When I was shopping my D25 w-a-a-y back in '97, the salesman had very good things to say about them in the price-to-value category, they were pretty new to the market back then.
But I wanted to buy American and the D25 had the best neck out of several potential prospects.
A buddy owns one, concert size, but it sounds like it's a bit lacking in volume compared with my similar sized F65ce. In fairness I haven't really given the Larrivee the kind of workout I'd give the F65 for an "in the driver's seat" perception, mainly 'cause it's got a 1-3/4 nut which I just can't get used to.
I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of one.
:wink:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I did have a cutaway L 09E pretty high end rosewood. with pickup ....lovely good sounding instrument(s)....If I had to buy a new guitar sight unseen, Guild and Larrivee would be my top 2 choices....All Larrivees have ebony fingerboards and bridges...and Jean developed is own bracing system that optimizes both the sound and the strength to maintain a flat top over the years...great guitars...Jean still goes all over the world to buy and inspect the logs they use for manufacturing....I remember hearing stories of him living in the north west, and buying specific logs, after going to the log boom, where the logs were floating but constrained...and walking and jumping from log to log to find the best ones for the tops...now folks...that's hands on....if you buy a burst Larrivee, the spraying is also done by Jean....he enjoys doing it, and I guess he's pretty good at it....they are all in all great guitars, always have been....Steffan :D

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got three. A jumbo in maple, and hog dread and a hog jumbo 12 string. All great guitars. Probably sell the dread and the 12 string, just don't get played enough. Been playing the jumbo lately tuned to G.

Great company. I bought the 12 string used, and there were some warranty problems with it. During discussion about the guitar at the Larrivee forum, Matthew Larrivee sent me a pm and his phone number. I called him and he told me what was done to the guitar and why. Said although it was a used guitar, he would guarentee the warranty work. Of course, I've never had to take him up on that, but I was impressed. He seems like a real down to earth fella, and every picture I see of him, he's covered in sawdust with a smile on his face.

tjmangum

Reaction score
I have two Larrivees: OM-9 and an LS-03 (Forum III). Both are nicely made and sound IMHO somewhere between a Taylor and a Guild. They are about as hard to find as a Guild in most parts of the country. Jean Larrivee is considered to be one of the best wood sourcers in the industry.

Geo

Reaction score
I had a D03R. Wish I still did. Great guitars!!!

George

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I have played some Larrivees in the past. I have also seen some youtube videos of some parlor Larrys I was interested in. The youtube videos sound great!

rmiller9969

Reaction score
I played approximately 6 yesterday and they were all nice but really lacked any projection. I know 2 were rosewood backs and one was a hog back. I also played a Martin JM signature which I enjoyed.