My Guild x-170's very distant cousin 3 times removed??

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
I have a guitar bucket list, and of the 3 guitars I own, 2 of them were off said list so it's going well. Not as well as Grot though. 8)

Many of you I'm sure have never seen/heard about this one, but let me tell you; after a year with it I really love playing this guitar. This is a 1986 Fender Performer. 1986 was an odd year for Fender as the FMIC/CBS transition was in full swing and something like 80%+ of all fenders made that year were built in Japan. The Performer and it's flying V sibling the Katana were only built for the one year, and discontinued with the finalization of the FMIC purchase.

As you can see, it's kind of like a "future" strat if you will, down to the logo on the odd head-stock. It's small too, kind of like a 3/4 sized strat body. The twin humbuckers in thier odd placement with factory coil tap switch makes for a lot of options in tonality as well. The clumsy locking nut is proof that Fender didn't quite "get" this EVH craze yet lol.

My DX-170 is also an '86 so I like to think of the two as distant relatives :lol:

f2pqmt.jpg

34yy6o9.jpg

2a99u00.jpg

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Interesting looking guitar, one Fender I wouldn't mind having, if only for its shock value!
Brad

Beat_Dominator

Reaction score
Yeah, if you see these mentioned on a Fender forum, you get all the curmudgeons that cry foul as they think any Fender that's not a Strat or a Tele is an eyesore :mrgreen: