1970's Guild D55

Reaction score
I bought this 1973 D55 from famous Arthur's music store, as I know, 73 was the last year this was a custom built. If anyone knows more about anything about the process or craftsmanship used in 1973 I would love to know more guild history!!!! Fantastic guitar.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I bought this 1973 D55 from famous Arthur's music store, as I know, 73 was the last year this was a custom built. If anyone knows more about anything about the process or craftsmanship used in 1973 I would love to know more guild history!!!! Fantastic guitar.
Welcome aboard Ben!
It's true D55's were "Special Order" starting in '68 and became "regular production" in '74.
I'd make a distinction between a special order and a "custom build" (meaning a unique guitar as opposed to one they would make to order using a standard set of specs), but that might just be casual usage of the term on your part.
In any case, the best insight available for that period is to be found in Hans Moust's "The Guild Guitar Book", covers up to '77.
Since it might be a little hard to find right now, I will share one of his observations that during those "early" years the entire production process was more like a custom shop than a "cookie cutter" production line like Martin and Gibson.
To me that implies that every guitar got similar standards of workmanship whether it was a production model or a special order or a custom.
This thread is already one of the better ones to be found on the subject, but there's another that deals with differences between the D50 and the D55.
Oh yes, in case you didn't know this yet, the D55 was born when Tommy Smothers started ordering D50's with F50 necks (Wide headstock with G-shield, block fret inlays, and "railroad tracks", in ebony) shortly after they were introduced in '63. Those were labeled "D50 Specials".
Of course a lot of us suspect that a little extra special care might have been taken with a flagship like the D55, in terms of maybe the most senior or skilled builders doing the work, maybe selecting for the best available woods in stock, that kind of thing.
Also don't worry if your next couple of posts get delayed, moderators vet new accounts before your posts start showing up in real time, and will post in the order and time sequence they were first submitted.
Usually takes just a couple of days.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Ben! Agreed with the others, Hans Moust's book is the best read (by far) and our go-to reference for Guild' early period. Ted Beesley and George Gruhn have also published material on Guild. I have Gruhn's "Vintage Guitar Guide" which has some interesting information about a later period than Hans' book covers.

Anyway, the forum search is often a great tool for finding details from our participants on LTG (including Hans!).

Again, welcome, and hope you enjoy. Would love to see pictures of your 1973 D-55. I have found the early-Westerly guitars to be highly desirable. I don't think I've ever played a D-55 that old though. Awesome!

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and information! Super appreciated! Glad to be here! I'm going to add pictures in just a moment when I figure out how. Stay tuned

Reaction score
Pictures of 73' Guild d55

The other interesting thing about this guitar that was pointed out when I bought it was that they accidentally put a d50 sticker inside the body. 4 minor bumps on body. But this guitar is way older than me, so it's awesome and I don't care. I Hope to look as good when I'm 44.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, Ben, I'm a little confused... You put a different label in there?

Anyway, that is one beautiful, early D-55. Looks to be in great shape. Terrific outdoor pictures you posted there.

[sorry, I was commenting on the original poster's pictures... Ben, would love to see pictures of yours]

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The other interesting thing about this guitar that was pointed out when I bought it was that they accidentally put a d50 sticker inside the body.
Guild's famous around here for that kind of stuff.
If there were any doubts before, we know it's authentic now!
:biggrin-new:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Loving a well-used Dee Five Five

Congrats on the purchase, Ben!

My '81 D55... dinged, dented, finish-checked, clearly a survivor of some less-than-gentle treatment along the way, including a bodged
bridge reset... now right as rain, in a loving household, hopefully for good!

Such great character in sound and appearance... still very much getting to know this guitar.

Phatty phat phattest frets I think I've ever seen on an acoustic guitar... can anyone tell me what's up with that?
I like them, very different feel, but notice they're literally about twice as wide as the frets on my Martin & Taylor... seem
like electric 'gitter frets vs acoustic...

Guild%20D55%20Left%20Front.jpg

Guild%20D55%20fretboard.jpg

Guild%20D55%20left%20upper%20front%20detail.jpg

Guild%20D55%20right%20upper%20back.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Jim... something about a beat up, sweet playing, loud & proud old
Guild that makes me smile :tranquillity:

Still interested if anybody has any comments on those phat frets...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is really wide fret wire, bonneville. It's probably a re-fret job (someone wanted it that way). I'm not sure, though. Could be the period.