'61 Bassman 6G6 / 6G6A

DKB

Reaction score
So, other than my modest Marshall collection and other assorted Fender amps.... This one stands out for wide open throttle blues/rock playing with a great Les Paul or other equivalent humbucker based guitar...

It has a Dec '61 date code on the tube chart and it retains the tube rectifier but has 6G6A circuit elements included in the preamp section. So mine is a hybrid between the two circuit configurations.

61Bassman_cab_sm.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1019.jpg

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tube rectifier, wow, never seen one that early in person. Used to have a "tuxedo" version of that (black faceplate with white knobs, presence know and brownface circuit), but it was too loud (=too clean) for my purposes.
Nice amps though!

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Nice Bassman, and interesting hybrid. I used to have a 6G6, it was rusty on the back of the chassis. I could never bond with it - when I would hit a big chord it would compress to the point where it almost coughed. There would be no sound for a split second before it would come out. I consulted with one tech about trying to improve it and sent it to another tech for only slight improvements. Ended up selling it and use a 6G6B now. Looking back, I guess it could've been a transformer problem.

6G6_back.jpg

I wouldn't mind trying another one sometime -the tube rectifier in that circuit always interested me.

DKB

Reaction score
Hello Jeff,

What you describe of your 6G6 experience is a sick amplifier. It definitely had things wrong with it. Mine had to be re-cap'ed, not just the power supply but the cap's in the preamp section too. They were all dried out.

What I've found is that for that real Bassman blues growl, you just simply turn all the controls on 10 and have at it. And mine is partial to humbuckers and in particular my '57 Goldtop. This combination gets the "Wow!" response.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Yeah, I've learned a bit in the 10 years or so since I've sold it that I could have given it more help.

I think a '57 Goldtop would get a "wow" response played through a tin can! :D

Csquare4

Reaction score
Beautiful amp!

Makes me think to myself - "Thou shalt not covet...thou shalt not covet...thou shalt not covet..."

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! I have a 6G6-B in my garage that I rescued. Sounds delicious!