Recent Jam

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Willy said:
Craig, when do we get to see you on one of your Guilds? :D

He's posted stills but no vids. Personally I'm waiting to see one of his Starfire basses in action.

Willy

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Willy said:
Craig, when do we get to see you on one of your Guilds? :D

He's posted stills but no vids. Personally I'm waiting to see one of his Starfire basses in action.

:D

The F312 has me drooling, I've quite literally played many thousands of Guilds in my time in Westerly, and I don't remember ever seeing an F312 - maybe there were some in 1975-1976 but I don't recall it. There's just NOTHING like a Guild 12-string!

idealassets

Reaction score
Gents,
Thank you for your comments on my posting. I never play drums any more, but did enjoy that jam. The players (including me) sounded a little bit rough in my opinion. The house band (lead singer & rhythm guitar) asked me to join the father & daughter bass & lead guitar team for a 1 song jam.

I think most of the host band was waylayed after many elixir's, especailly that lead singer. And I wonder just who that drunk, screamiong woman was?

I have to get hip to the modern era, and learn how to record my own stuff, even if its with a cell phone. Hopefully I'll do that soon. It seems the local hard rockers know all that stuff, whereas the local acoustic folkies are not so technically versatile.

Thank you,
Craig

idealassets

Reaction score
He's posted stills but no vids. Personally I'm waiting to see one of his Starfire basses in action
I will start "soon". Last Monday I had a broken pinky finger (fret hand) re-splinted. The knuckle bone has fused "OK", but after a lot of therapy for 2 months, the doc wants to go for 2 more months in a splint. Thats to let the tendons reform.

So I play missing one finger, but will learn how to record, and get some gear to do it with. I think it will be some fun.

Craig

idealassets

Reaction score
Craig, when do we get to see you on one of your Guilds?
I'll get oof to a start soon. Please see my previuos post. I'm looking forward to it.

The F312 has me drooling,
I'm beginning to like this guitar. I like the F512 the best, it has the DTAR for use in those noisy clubs.

I will be bringing the F312 to my luthier class this Monday for a thorough inspection. So far the sound has opened up after a few months under humidity/ temp control. The structure and quality of the guitar appears to be sound, and I like the old workmanship.

Please feel free to check it out it here:
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k524/guildguitars/1965_F312/

Craig

Willy

Reaction score
idealassets said:
Craig, when do we get to see you on one of your Guilds?
I'll get oof to a start soon. Please see my previuos post. I'm looking forward to it.

The F312 has me drooling,
I'm beginning to like this guitar. I like the F512 the best, it has the DTAR for use in those noisy clubs.

I will be bringing the F312 to my luthier class this Monday for a thorough inspection. So far the sound has opened up after a few months under humidity/ temp control. The structure and quality of the guitar appears to be sound, and I like the old workmanship.

Please feel free to check it out it here:
http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k524/guildguitars/1965_F312/

Craig

Craig man, what're you doing to me!? Now I have to go change my shirt :shock:

Seriously, that is gorgeous and I look forward to hearing it. Thanks for linking the pics.

idealassets

Reaction score
Craig man, what're you doing to me!? Now I have to go change my shirt
Its merely a guitar. I drool somewhat playing my F512, but whats up with that? Its a relatively new guitar. I was nearby you a few weeks ago on vacation in Evergreen. Check out your other posts, I gave you some info of some local (CO) music stuff I did while there. If interested I can give you some more. There's a great botique old style guitar dealer, and few other things. Let me know if you're interested in more info.

Craig

idealassets

Reaction score
I've quite literally played many thousands of Guilds in my time in Westerly
Wait a minute, I missed this earlier. What did you do at Westerly? During the Westerly era it was all hard rock for me. Everyone had a Strat, etc at the time. Guilds are still hard to get here, and I have played less than 20 of them so far.

I lived off Evans & Holly in Denver most of the Westerly era. What do you do now?

Craig

Willy

Reaction score
idealassets said:
I've quite literally played many thousands of Guilds in my time in Westerly
Wait a minute, I missed this earlier. What did you do at Westerly? During the Westerly era it was all hard rock for me. Everyone had a Strat, etc at the time. Guilds are still hard to get here, and I have played less than 20 of them so far.

I lived off Evans & Holly in Denver most of the Westerly era. What do you do now?

Craig

Evans and Holly!? What are you doing in Michigan? That explains your familiarity with the Little Bear.

I grew up in Ashaway RI, just 3 miles or so from the Guild plant, got my first Guild while in high school, a T100D blonde. I worked at the plant for a couple of years in the mid-70's some of the time in the repair department and the rest of the time doing final setup on the guitars. A significant number of the instruments that went out the door in 1975 and 1976 didn't leave until I worked on them, which (very) happily meant...I got to play them :D If I went into what happened with the union coming in I would probably get censored for expressing controversial views on the thread, so I'll just say that it was one of the reasons I didn't continue there.

idealassets

Reaction score
Evans and Holly!? What are you doing in Michigan? That explains your familiarity with the Little Bear.
I am from Michigan originally. In the late 70's I moved to Denver, because the area was growing for my type of work. Also dozens of my Michigan friends had moved to Denver already. I soon learned that Denver was the world's foremost "revolving door" employer with the oil related companies there. Steady employment was hard to keep in Denver during all those years.

I now live back in my home town, and am "early-retired". I took a fancy to playing guitar in a more deliberate manner about 18 months ago. I may soon audition to play drums in a few bands, also in order to learn more about guitar. Its all good.

You could look up Olde Town Pickin Parlor in Arvada. He had 2 Collings guitars, and 2 Martin OM-28V's when I visited last. He is the antithesis of Guitar Center I do not know where the Guild dealers are in Denver. Wedgel's Pawn Shop had 2 Guild's when I went to visit in Dec. I used to buy some drum gear there, when they were a little more upscale than today.

Craig

Willy

Reaction score
idealassets said:
I am from Michigan originally. In the late 70's I moved to Denver, because the area was growing for my type of work. Also dozens of my Michigan friends had moved to Denver already. I soon learned that Denver was the world's foremost "revolving door" employer with the oil related companies there. Steady employment was hard to keep in Denver during all those years.

I now live back in my home town, and am "early-retired". I took a fancy to playing guitar in a more deliberate manner about 18 months ago. I may soon audition to play drums in a few bands, also in order to learn more about guitar. Its all good.

You could look up Olde Town Pickin Parlor in Arvada. He had 2 Collings guitars, and 2 Martin OM-28V's when I visited last. He is the antithesis of Guitar Center I do not know where the Guild dealers are in Denver. Wedgel's Pawn Shop had 2 Guild's when I went to visit in Dec. I used to buy some drum gear there, when they were a little more upscale than today.

Craig

I missed your 3:34 comment earlier. I try to keep track of what Olde Town Pickin' Parlor has in stock. They had a bunch of Guilds, new to old, a few months ago but very little now. They had a red SFXII hanging on the wall last Fall. My office is about a mile west of Olde Town Pickin' Parlor (55 miles from my house) so I try to stop in when I have the chance - a lot of great instruments there. Next time you're in town, check out Harry Tufts down on South Pearl St., he has been a Guild dealer since the early '60's - there's an article about Harry on the Guild website from a few months ago. Harry's a blast to talk to and it's one of the true Guild havens. There are only a few other Guild dealers in the Colorado area. There's a school in Colorado Springs, Harry Tufts' shop Denver Folklore Center, Drum City Guitarland in Wheatridge, and Robb's Music in Boulder. A couple of years ago there was a dealer up toward Fort Collins but I don't see them listed anymore. Wedgel's is under new ownership now I think, that happened some time in the last year or two and I don't know if the new owners have the same interest in guitars - used to be they had some real gems hidden away, sort of the private stock.

Willy

Reaction score
If you're in Denver again and have a chance give me a heads up, it'd be great to meet up somewhere - also the friends you mentioned in Evergreen.

idealassets

Reaction score
Willy,
I was aware of the Starfire XII that Kit had in stock at Olde Towne. At the time they were not brining much on ebay ($700-$800). But since then I actually had a chance to hear on on youtube. They sound nicer than I thought, but I had just gotten a nice deal on a nearly new Rickenbacker 360/12.

I was invited to come out for a private household jam in a few weeks, but I have lots of irons in the fire locally, and can't.

I never say never about a Denver trip. It would be great to meet. I don't know anyone personally yet that is as much an advocate for Guild guitars as myself. But I'm certain there are a lot of them around, just not by me.

I met fellow LTG member "frettedstrings" in Detroit. He has a D35 & F212 (1967), which he showed me at folk music event.

Craig

Willy

Reaction score
Did you get the Rickenbacker from Kit? A friend of mind was looking for a 360/12 last fall also and had talked with Kit, I think he bought his off ebay finally but I haven't had the chance to see it yet. I look forward to meeting you when we get the chance.

idealassets

Reaction score
Willy,
It would be great to be back to Colorado. I'm not in a big hurry to fly back due to:
1. Its not getting any cheaper to do it.
2. My life long friend lives 80 miles from the airport in Evergreen.
3. Its difficult to be there, since I'm still in love with the place after many years of living there.

But I'll still never say never to it.

I bought the "new" Ric 360/12 from a dealer in New York City. It is a good one and looked unplayed. I still like the acoustic sound of the Guild F412 or F512. I have one of each. Also I'll expand to a larger pedal box for more effects for the Ric.

I like the fact that Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn, and Johny Marr all wrote some great 12 srtring songs with leads that I can actually play. But I doubt I will ever be a guitar shredder like so many can.

"Uncle" Kit is a fantastic player and dealer of guitars. He prefers songs like the 40's swing, and material such as "The Story of Love", with some jazz influence. I began my musical interest in rock and think the retro rock & folf/rock is here to stay. Thats what I like to play, with a little Crosby Stills & Nash acoustic thrown in.

Just between us LTG'ers Kit talked me out of buying a Martin OM-28V since he thought I didn't have the soft picking finesse. Instead he stated the Collings (similar to the Gibson advanced jumbo) was just right for me. But I don't want another dread. He may still have that Collings in the store and it is a beautiful tobacco burst jumbo dread.

It appears that we have mostly 2 way traffic on this thread. Apparently the drunk lead singer, and my rusty drumming didn't bring much interest from our fellow LYG'ers. But did I mention there was a lady bass player in there? She's 25, single, and friendly. I am still faking that I'm younger whenever I'm around her.

Craig

Willy

Reaction score
I'll have to stop by and check out that Collings, I have played some of the vintage braced Martins and do like the sound of them. Unlike Martins, I've never seen a Collings that didn't impress me.

It seems about 80% or more of the LTG posts go pretty much unnoticed or at least people look and don't comment, I see this post has gotten 72 views which is more than most posts get before they fade into the sunset. When I saw the F312 in your signature I had to respond - do hope you'll record something for us with it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I have no idea WTF you and Willy are talking about, but I don't care either (so please do not explain). The singer had some intonation problems, but so did I the last time I heard myself sing. Monitors and earphones are your friends. I find it enhances too many geezer stereotypes to comment about a performer just because she is female. I would describe her playing as pedestrian by which I mean "I can play that, too", but she's playing for a bigger audience than I usually am so who am I to talk? Bottom line - I pretty much said all I had to say.