blind owl blues

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember listening to others(especially Hallelujah), but, prior to Hooker "n Heat, Boogie With... was the one I overplayed(though Scat, from Future blues, is one of my most fave Owl songs!)

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Yeah, I remember listening to others(especially Hallelujah), but, prior to Hooker "n Heat, Boogie With... was the one I overplayed(though Scat, from Future blues, is one of my most fave Owl songs!)

My copy of Hallelujah is worn even more !

I used to flog "Get Off My Back". That circling - sort - of sound between the speakers on the instrumental break was something else !

Apparently, one of the worst things you can do with vinyl is play a track repeatedly while it's still hot from the previous play.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
I used to flog "Get Off My Back". That circling - sort - of sound between the speakers on the instrumental break was something else !
For some reason panning the mike technique is one of the things I've yet to hear successfully or faithfully reproduced on CD...also present on "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf; ""Baxter's" by the Airplane ( I forget the track name, I think it's "Spare Chaynge"), and a cut on Electric Ladyland, "And the Gods Made Love", IIRC.
I have to allow that perhaps thse defects have been corrected on remasters I haven't heard yet, but it does still seem to be a bit of a generic shiortcoming with cd's, somehow spatial definition always seems to be "flat", no depth or instrument location presence.

coastie99 said:
Apparently, one of the worst things you can do with vinyl is play a track repeatedly while it's still hot from the previous play.
Well thank goodness that idiosyncracy seems to be limited to inanimate pieces of vinyl.... :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
coastie99 said:
For some reason panning the mike technique is one of the things I've yet to hear successfully or faithfully reproduced on CD...also present on "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf; ""Baxter's" by the Airplane ( I forget the track name, I think it's "Spare Chaynge"), and a cut on Electric Ladyland, "And the Gods Made Love", IIRC.
I have to allow that perhaps thse defects have been corrected on remasters I haven't heard yet, but it does still seem to be a bit of a generic shiortcoming with cd's, somehow spatial definition always seems to be "flat", no depth or instrument location presence.

Not sure whether it is the same recording technique but I always used a segment of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" (on vinyl) to balance the two channels in whatever room I was listening.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Not sure whether it is the same recording technique but I always used a segment of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" (on vinyl) to balance the two channels in whatever room I was listening.
Forgot about that one. I know for sure it was mic panning on the Baxter's cut (read about it somewhere), with Zeppelin it might have been accomplished with sliders at the mixing board. Still why is does the separation seem so much cleaner on vinyl? Seems they ought to be able to acconplish teh same thing digitally. It tells me they're not paying 100% attention to the original engineering. Sacrificing overall spatial definition for a cleaner mix. That was one of the first things I noticed about CDs, "back in the day".
I'm gonna see what happens on my copy of "Living the Blues" when it arrives. I seem to recall some pretty exotic engineering on "Parthenogenesis".
Also ordered the re-issue/re-master "Are You Experienced" at the same time, we'll see if that one has any "depth" too.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Still why is does the separation seem so much cleaner on vinyl?

FWIW, I think the strongest sense of stereo separation that I have experienced has been playing CDs and listening with headphones. I don't recall it being quite as good with vinyl and phones but it may just be that I own better phones these days.

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Also ordered the re-issue/re-master "Are You Experienced" at the same time, we'll see if that one has any "depth" too.

Most of the Hendrix CDs in my collection were early releases that sounded pretty bad. I got the latest remaster of Axis and was so impressed I replaced all of those early CDs with the new ones. I usually don't go crazy over remasters like that, but in this case I'm really glad I did. I think you'll enjoy the new mastering of Experienced.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Yeah, when CD is done good, it's good, but if they flub the remaster, forget it. When I first got a CD player, I got a Buddy Holly CD, & as soon as I heard "Well Alright", I was sold; awesome sound.
I'll have to give a good listen to "Get Off My Back" on the house system & see how the separation is. And,
Better have the Koolaid ready for Parthenogenesis !! :wink: :wink:
Yes indeed, quite a trip there!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
adorshki said:
Still why is does the separation seem so much cleaner on vinyl?
FWIW, I think the strongest sense of stereo separation that I have experienced has been playing CDs and listening with headphones. I don't recall it being quite as good with vinyl and phones but it may just be that I own better phones these days.
Ahhh...good detail. A buddy of mine introduced me to some Hendrix stereo imaging on headphones way back in high school, but I don't like. don't use 'em.
It's the "fling saucer" at the end of "1983/Moon Turn the Tides" on Electric Ladyland IIRC. Goes up, down, back, forth, and all around your head in a circle. Why we thought it was supposed to be a flying saucer. :lol: