blind owl blues

Ravon

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I was just starting out on guitar back in the early seventies and Canned Heat was a favorite of mine from my brothers LP collection. There was a music festival nearby and Canned Heat was one of the headliners (probably '73). I tried to go but my mom stopped my older brother from taking me (smart woman). Of course, me being 14 I knew it all and didn't appreciate still being treated like a kid! Never did get to see'um live

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Thanks for that, mellow. Blind Owl was one of my greatest music inspirations, & one of the few white players I consider authentic bluesmen. Always annoyed me that people neglect including him with Jimi, Janis, & Jim in the 27 club.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
And Larry "The Mole" Taylor's bass playing I always thought among the best, as well.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Someone commented on the UTub page about how amazing it was for Alan to be so good with Son; what impressed me was that Son sounded so together at that stage of his life!

That Bukka/Wolf clip is great, too. There are a bunch of good vids from that Newport festival, especially of the Wolf, including at least one where he's kind of distressed at how Son had let himself go into the bottle.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Someone commented on the UTub page about how amazing it was for Alan to be so good with Son; what impressed me was that Son sounded so together at that stage of his life!

That Bukka/Wolf clip is great, too. There are a bunch of good vids from that Newport festival, especially of the Wolf, including at least one where he's kind of distressed at how Son had let himself go into the bottle.

Mando, I've watched a lot of Newport festival, and other stuff on the 'Toob.

Trouble is, I haven't got enough time to look at every darned thing !

kitniyatran

Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
And Larry "The Mole" Taylor's bass playing I always thought among the best, as well.
Nice bass solo, as well as the backup!
Sometimes "notey", but always tasteful & appropriate to the music. Went from the Heat to playing in John Mayall's brief jazz band with Sugarcane Harris on violin.

Here's another Blind Owl feature with hot bass solo by The Mole as well as guitar by Harvey "Snake" Mandel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9_AzjRZSQ&feature=related

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
I ordered Canned Heat and Boogie With Canned Heat reissues on vinyl yesterday. Been spinning blues records all evening, George "Harmonica" Smith, some early Freddy King and Slim Harpo. Tired of changing records, got Sam Meyers on the CD plater, Little Milton is on deck. I was thinking of teaching the girlfriend to handle records properly and operate the turntable, but I'd pay for that deal one way or another. :roll:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
I ordered Canned Heat and Boogie With Canned Heat reissues on vinyl yesterday.
Must be sumthin' in the ether...I just ordered a CD of "Living the Blues" yesterday. :lol: One of those vinyls I had for a short while as a kid (probably traded it in for something new and exotic from Europe like Gong) and finally got around to replacing.
Yep, thanks Mando, Larry Taylor was on a bunch of Harvey Mandel albums too.
A buddy turned me on to "Baby Batter" in high school, that's got some great extended (Snake) jams, for those who don't know about it. :wink:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Must be sumthin' in the ether...I just ordered a CD of "Living the Blues" yesterday. :lol: One of those vinyls I had for a short while as a kid (probably traded it in for something new and exotic from Europe like Gong) and finally got around to replacing.
Yep, thanks Mando, Larry Taylor was on a bunch of Harvey Mandel albums too.
A buddy turned me on to "Baby Batter" in high school, that's got some great extended (Snake) jams, for those who don't know about it. :wink:

Wow; such a blast from the past !!

That album hasn't been played here in a very long time !

WARNING to Canned Heat fans. DO NOT purchase the re-mastered CD version of Boogie With Canned Heat.

It is without any doubt, the worst piece of re-mastering I've ever heard, and a complete piece of shite !!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
adorshki said:
Must be sumthin' in the ether...I just ordered a CD of "Living the Blues" yesterday. :lol:
WARNING to Canned Heat fans. DO NOT purchase the re-mastered CD version of Boogie With Canned Heat.
[/quote]
Assuming you mean ""LtB" by the subsequent comments.
Saw some similar reviews on Amazon about a couple of earlier versions of it (LtB). According to one review "BGO got it right with this release..." if that's got any relevance. :wink:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
adorshki said:
coastie99 said:
adorshki said:
Must be sumthin' in the ether...I just ordered a CD of "Living the Blues" yesterday. :lol:
Assuming you mean ""LtB" by the subsequent comments.
Saw some similar reviews on Amazon about a couple of earlier versions of it (LtB). According to one review "BGO got it right with this release..." if that's got any relevance. :wink:
I suspect coastie meant what he said; I was recently looking at Heat CD's on Amazon, also and read reviews saying that about a particular (American, I think) "Boogie..." reissue CD, recommending an import, instead. I have one that was shipped from Germany & sounds good.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard a re-mastered CD version of LtB. I have it on vinyl, somewhat worn.

If there is a decent CD re-mastering of BWCH out there, I'd sure like to have it. That is the album that turned me on to the Blues, way back when I was 17.