Value of a Gibson Console Grande Lap Steel Guitar?

Walking Man

Reaction score
I had a gentleman send me these two photos...What exactly would it be called and what kind of value would one place for an opening offer?
I'm waiting on some more info, but these were his first lob.
Thanks

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Google on "Gibson Console Grande" suggest that calling it a lap steel guitar might be correct. Guitar Center has a two neck version here for $900. That number is high enough to justify research into what the gentleman really has and how it fits in the market, but I'm probably not the person to do that.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
The Vintage Price Guide lists a Console Grand Steel (no "e" on the end of Grand), but only as a double neck. A Console Steel (legs optional) and a Consolette table steel are also listed, but again only as double necks. VPG values of these instruments range from $1,200 to $1,600.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
The Double necks were the most desireable as they were what the late Don Helms played with Hank Williams Sr. for many years. The Tripple necks were also a very good steel but just not as popular. Usually tuned E13,A6,and C6 front to back but, many players had there own favorites. If its a good price...buy it! They were very nice.