M-85

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I always suffer greatly from buyer's remorse. And I try to keep GAS in check by rigidly applying the "if you buy one, you gotta sell one" rule. Nor do I see buying a new bass as a cause for celebration. It's a tool, right?

Anyway, Frono was curious about who bought this bass and I confessed to him. And then he hounded and browbeat me into posting some photos once it arrived. So here they are.

On the plus side, it's that wonderfully easy to play Guild neck. And with new strings and a few subtle tweaks, it is set up beautifully... harp bridge style. Meaning the damn E string is an issue.

The negative for me, so far, is getting comfortable with the depth of the instrument. (It is the semi-hollowbody model.) But I figure if folks can handle an acoustic guitar, I'll learn to handle this baby.

85M003.jpg

85M001.jpg

85M005.jpg

Happy Face

Reaction score
The bass was said to be made in 1969 so it is in pretty good shape.

The only eyesore is the neck heel which looks to have been chewed right off by a puppy or termites.

85M006.jpg

And the bridge was modified. I asked the seller, who had owned the bass for 31 years, if he had done it. He replied :

"I didn't do that change but I showed it to a tech who felt it was an improvement so I didn't revert it. Makes sense to me too, a more solid connection. Certainly sounds fine. If you were to take the bridge plate off you would see the original little holes where that contact plate was previously located. I think it's a good modification and reversible if anyone wanted to."

Right now I agree with him. I was able to set up the bass, so why mess with it?

85M010.jpg

But down the road, maybe I'll restore it. I'm seriously pondering putting a reissue Starfire bridge on my warhorse JS-II. That would free up an un-molested harp bridge for the M-85. But that'll happen when it happens.

It's a tool!

idealassets

Reaction score
Congratualtions, that's a great looking "tool". If you ever decide to sell (one fine day) list it here on LTG first.

Craig

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, I don't even like black much, and that bass is magnificent! The heel should be pretty easy to repair I would think.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice!

As for getting used to it, it's nothing compared to a B-50. Between my paunch and formerly broken wrist I can barely play the thing.

Happy Face

Reaction score
I know what you mean, Frono. I'll have to flatten out my belly to handle this baby.

Hey, maybe it explains why mgod is up at 6 am evey day... He must be a gym rat just to stay in good enough shape to play his M-85s!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Give our PM discussion, I am glad to see the bridge has been modified. I'd hate to think there was another factory bridge variation.

Do you have Starfire experience? I ease the pain of not being in the hunt for a hollow M-85 by saying that it would sound like my Starfire...

dlenaghan

Reaction score
Awesome, awesome bass. The more compact body has me wondering whether I'd be better off to try for a semihollow M85 than a Starfire, but the M85s are even harder to find, especially in a semi-hollow build.

I got a message from the seller about this particular M85 from a WTB I had posted in TalkBass, but his asking price was way higher than I expected. I also don't recall the neck heel or modded bridge being mentioned, but it seems like the bridge has been improved!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Happy Face said:
The bass was said to be made in 1969 so it is in pretty good shape.
The only eyesore is the neck heel which looks to have been chewed right off by a puppy or termites.
85M006.jpg

Hello Happy Face,

Great looking bass. Looked at the various features of the instrument and it seems to me that it was probably made a little later than 1969. Not that it matters all that much, but I was thinking more like 1970. During that particular time the specs. for the electronics were all over the place but I would think in 1969 it still would have had a Master Volume. The 'gassed' heelcap is also a typical feature from that period ( not intentional) but as far as M-85 bassess are concerned I've seen it mostly on instruments with ser. numbers in the # 49xxx range. Does your bass fit into that range?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Happy Face

Reaction score
Thank you Hans. The number is 484@@. But from reading what you and mgod have often said, who knows if that means anything?

Was that heel piece made out of the same material as the binding?

Thanks.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Good man, Happy Face!

This should keep your face happy for a while.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Happy Face said:
The number is 484@@. But from reading what you and mgod have often said, who knows if that means anything?

Well it does mean something but it doesn't tell you much about the date that the guitar was completed.

Was that heel piece made out of the same material as the binding?

Yes, during that particular period both were still made of celluloid.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Derek, can we get a shot of the head?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mgod said:
Hey Derek, can we get a shot of the head?

That would be similar to the one on your bass, since they are from the same batch; no volute, big head, lines in Chesterfield, metal truss rod cover.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Happy Face

Reaction score
Since I had to sell my Steinberger to partly cover the cost of this baby, I cut the head off of the Guild out of nostalgia....

Hans nailed it, but I'll post one.

dlenaghan

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
That would be similar to the one on your bass, since they are from the same batch; no volute, big head, lines in Chesterfield, metal truss rod cover.

Are (were, I guess - past tense) any Guild basses built with a volute? After you mentioned this I checked my JS-IIs, one a '70, the other a '72, no volute on either. I can't recall my guitarist's late 70s B-302 to remember what that headstock looked like.

No volute, and yet the damage one often sees to Guild headstocks seems to involve split laminates rather than the extreme breaks showcased in Gibsons.. sorry if this is mildly off topic, but Hans' comment about the volute got me thinking.

That is seriously a gorgeous M-85.