Are we the GB's?

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Ridgemont said:
music began with Nirvana and the '90s is the only decade to really take seriously in terms of music. Everything before and after are just imitators. Mediocrity to merely fill the void of silence. :wink:
:lol: :wink: We know you better than that Ridge, :lol: Heck, Even Mississippi John Hurt knows you better than that. :lol:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Ridgemont said:
Mediocrity to merely fill the void of silence. :wink:
Puh-LEEZE...that's "Sounds of Silence". :evil:
Not that I have a vested interest or anything.
:lol:
I didn't know what you meant by Sounds of Silence so I googled it. After listening to some song by two goofy looking white guys I was impressed. I looked to see who they were and saw that the song was written in 1964. That is outside the 10 year timeframe I have allocated for quality music so I have deemed that song awful on all accounts.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
Ridgemont said:
music began with Nirvana and the '90s is the only decade to really take seriously in terms of music. Everything before and after are just imitators. Mediocrity to merely fill the void of silence. :wink:
:lol: :wink: We know you better than that Ridge, :lol: Heck, Even Mississippi John Hurt knows you better than that. :lol:
Well there is some truth to what I said. Being born in 1981, my interest in popular music began in middle school which was early 90's. Hair bands were going out and Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" was the song that sent them packing. Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins....my list of obsessions can go on and on. My first delve into old music was with the Pixies and that was only a couple of years before in the mid to late 80's. A deeper appreciation for music and music history came much later.

griehund

Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
southernGuild said:
Ridgemont said:
Well there is some truth to what I said. Being born in 1981, my interest in popular music began in middle school which was early 90's. Hair bands were going out and Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" was the song that sent them packing. Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins....my list of obsessions can go on and on. My first delve into old music was with the Pixies and that was only a couple of years before in the mid to late 80's. A deeper appreciation for music and music history came much later.
1981? 1981? Born in 1981?. I was 20 years out of high school and had gone through C&W, blues, R&R, folk, Doo-wop, R&B, Motown, Disco, Reggae, and that's all I can remember that might fit in that time frame. There was lots of good music and some pretty awful stuff before any one of us set our baby butts on the changing table of life. Did I mention I'm old and biased? Now if we could get rid of that Epi and get a guild in their hands, that would be an accomplishment. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
griehund said:
There was lots of good music and some pretty awful stuff before any one of us set our baby butts on the changing table of life.
It's funny how music dramatically changes throughout the years. As time passes you see evolution of genres and sub-genres that make it into the landscape of popular culture. When Dave Van Ronk started his career in the early 50's as a Jazz musician, he was engulfed into the end of a decade long genre battle known as the Mouldy Fig War. I am no expert on Jazz, but there was a division between "Progressives" who appreciated the contemporary version of Jazz known as bebop and "Mouldy Figs" who thought the only true form of jazz was the traditional New Orleans style that heightened in popularity a few decades prior. DVR admitted that his ideological decision to support the Mouldy Figs prevented him from embracing talented current day artists such as Charlie Parker, but instead collect everything he could find from a different era which included a lot of junk.

Musical genres may continue to change and popular music always sounds different, but the one thing that will always be constant no matter what decade you are in is that there is a lot of crap music being made.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back in the day, there was an awareness campaign for classical music that followed the pattern "If you like <insert name of popular band/musician here> then you should try listening to <insert name of classical composer or one or more compositions here>." It was a deliberate attempt to get people to cross both generational and genre boundaries. I suspect the kind of marketing muscle required to do something similar today no longer exists.

griehund

Reaction score
I could easily listen to The Four Seasons, The Commodores and Vivaldi in the same afternoon. But I'm weird that way. :) I like Maroon 5 also.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
griehund said:
I could easily listen to The Four Seasons, The Commodores and Vivaldi in the same afternoon. But I'm weird that way. :) I like Maroon 5 also.

Guitarist Richie Blackmore was heavily influenced by Vivaldi et. al. Alas, this was the best link I could find and it is not quite as focused as I recall but... At some point, it is all music with more in common than the separation of genres would make you believe.