Gibson buys into Onkyo

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Brad Little said:
Somebody just posted this link over on Flatpick-L:
http://www.twice.com/article/478488-Gib ... _Onkyo.php
I guess diversity is a way to offset some of their problems, might also give them better positioning in the Japanese market.
Brad
So many synergies created that way for purchasing leverage of larger quantities of components, access to new distribution channels, things like that.
First thing I thought of was Fender's move into car audio.
Article specifically referenced intent to create a partnership company focused on development of "consumer audio".
I'm thinking, with 100 watt home theater systems becoming commonplace, everybody wants a piece of that market.
I'd love to hear a 100 watt Marshall stack in my living room. :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In addition to Fender's branching out, there was also an interview with Henry of Gibson (not to be confused with the image below)

images

in which he said that the worldwide market for guitars is about 10% of the population, whereas 90% of the population are potential consumers of devices that play recorded music. In order to grow and survive, the Gibson product line needed to expand to capture markets bigger than players and wannabees. There is probably a link in the dreaded Gibson thread but I don't want to search for it because of my fear that someone will make a flip comment about something that was laid to rest on the page before they felt they had to chime in.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
...just please don't tell me I have to relabel my '80's-something TX-8210 with Gibson script :shock:
N-O-OO-O-H-H-H........
In a couple of years you'll be able to sell it as a genuine "pre-Gibson" gem. :lol: