1977 JSB-2LS

hagmeat

Reaction score
Here`s some pics of my 1977 JSB-2LS that I bought off the ebay earlier this year. These were the sellers pics.

Enjoy. Cheers.

guildbass4.jpg

guildbass3.jpg

guildbass.jpg

guildbass2.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did we talk about this one? I won't argue the JS name but I note that the bridge and PUs were never catalog standard on a JS although they were the same ones as on the B-30x that "replaced" it. If we didn't talk about it thin this is the second or third I've seen. Congratulations, regardless.

hagmeat

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Did we talk about this one? I won't argue the JS name but I note that the bridge and PUs were never catalog standard on a JS although they were the same ones as on the B-30x that "replaced" it. If we didn't talk about it thin this is the second or third I've seen. Congratulations, regardless.

Thanks Frono. I searched through some old posts that mention a JS2 long scale,but no pics came up so I wasn`t sure if this was the one in question.
A crack in the neck has been repaired,which doesn`t affect playing and it will need a refret in the near future, but I`m digging it for now.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations on the new score hagmeat! Looks nice. 8)

dlenaghan

Reaction score
Congrats on the score! I recall seeing this one online a while back and being somewhat perplexed at first, but since then I've seen so many factory stock variations of Guilds I wouldn't even bat an eye. Nice to see those single-coils on what's in my opinion a far more user-friendly body style.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I got it in late september. I remember when I first saw it - instant Guildgas. After asking him, the seller was cool enough to ship it to Oz.
I bought my 1971 JS2 earlier in the year and really liked the sound of the Guild humbuckers. I was thinking about a B302
for a different sound but wasn`t keen on the body shape(I`ve grown to like them since), so when this came up,I had to go for it. Being made in `77-the
year of my birth, and it being somewhat of an oddity sealed the deal. It`s in very good condition with just some slight crazing on the neck and back of the headstock.
The deep/hard switch also gives a lot of variety in sound, but I find the deep setting more favourable to my ears, I like a warm/bubbly sound, with a little bit of bite,
similar to Geezers on the early Sabbath albums. Cheers

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
hagmeat said:
Thanks Frono. I searched through some old posts that mention a JS2 long scale,but no pics came up so I wasn`t sure if this was the one in question.

I can't find the earlier discussion but it happened before I started this thread. Not a lot of JS LS discussion. I remember a thread where I learned that a JS LS will not fit in a JS case and you can count the frets if you can't tell whether a picture is of a JS LS or just JS.

Given that you were predisposed to want the B-30x PUs this is quite the find for you. Again, congratulations.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello hagmeat,

Your bass is part of a small batch of guitars that were done just before the discontinuation of the JS-Bass and the introduction of the 'new' B-301/302 Bass.
At this point it is not completely clear to me if these were just try-out guitars for the new pickups and bridge that they were going to use.
It is also possible that Guild seriously considered to bring 'm out like that but the reactions may not have been postive enough. So they may have decided to scrap the whole model and come out with a completely new model, which was the B-301/302.

Since they did a small batch of those I'm leaning towards the thought that they initially wanted to bring 'm out like that.
I asked a few people who were around at the time but they could not give me a definitive answer.

At some point we may figure this out but right now it's not all that clear. We only know that they didn't continue making 'm like that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
I asked a few people who were around at the time but they could not give me a definitive answer.
How surprising!

hagmeat

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Hello hagmeat,

Your bass is part of a small batch of guitars that were done just before the discontinuation of the JS-Bass and the introduction of the 'new' B-301/302 Bass.
At this point it is not completely clear to me if these were just try-out guitars for the new pickups and bridge that they were going to use.
It is also possible that Guild seriously considered to bring 'm out like that but the reactions may not have been postive enough. So they may have decided to scrap the whole model and come out with a completely new model, which was the B-301/302.

Since they did a small batch of those I'm leaning towards the thought that they initially wanted to bring 'm out like that.

At some point we may figure this out but right now it's not all that clear. We only know that they didn't continue making 'm like that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi Hans, Thanks for your input. I suspected that it was a transition model.
It looks like they did away with the deep/hard switch for the B301/302, I`m
glad they kept it on my one. I`ve seen a few other JS2`s from 1977 with the
muller bridge, but with the Guild humbuckers instead of the single coils.
I`m guessing that was the first phase in the transition to the B301/302.
Cheers. Rob

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mgod said:
hansmoust said:
How surprising!

Hello mgod,

Knowing where the 'how surprising' remark comes from, I think I can assume that it was spoken in jest.
But in all seriousness, if I had assumed that nobody would remember anything anyway, I would not have presented the question to any of these former Guild workers to begin with. You would be surprised what kind of details some of these people remember, once you 'trigger' their memories with the 'right' information.
Not too long ago I asked the foreman of one of the departments if he remembered the visit of a specific artist to the Hoboken factory during the mid-60s and his words were: ' I sure remember that visit as if it happened yesterday. The guy came into the factory with a guitar case in one hand and a bottle of wodka in the other and he almost emptied it during his stay there '.
However, the foreman did not remember the wodka brand!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Hello mgod,

Knowing where the 'how surprising' remark comes from, I think I can assume that it was spoken in jest.
But in all seriousness, if I had assumed that nobody would remember anything anyway, I would not have presented the question to any of these former Guild workers to begin with. You would be surprised what kind of details some of these people remember, once you 'trigger' their memories with the 'right' information.
Not too long ago I asked the foreman of one of the departments if he remembered the visit of a specific artist to the Hoboken factory during the mid-60s and his words were: ' I sure remember that visit as if it happened yesterday. The guy came into the factory with a guitar case in one hand and a bottle of wodka in the other and he almost emptied it during his stay there '.
However, the foreman did not remember the wodka brand!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
I was thinking more about how utterly vague and apparently random so many of Guild's decisions and choices were; not so much about not remembering, but never having had any idea in the first place.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mgod said:
I was thinking more about how utterly vague and apparently random so many of Guild's decisions and choices were; not so much about not remembering, but never having had any idea in the first place.

You're absolutely right about that. For the longest time, Guild didn't have anything that would even slightly resemble a 'research and development' team. Like every other manufacturer they would listen to feedback from players and dealers, but there was no professional inside the company, who would look at the feedback, understand what they were asking for, come up with an idea and incorporate that idea into an existing or completely new model, that at the same time looked good.
It was a bit like building a house together with a contractor and leaving the architect out! It can be done when you're using proven designs, but very often, when you're trying to come up with something new, the end result is not very successful.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hagmeat

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
You're absolutely right about that. For the longest time, Guild didn't have anything that would even slightly resemble a 'research and development' team. Like every other manufacturer they would listen to feedback from players and dealers, but there was no professional inside the company, who would look at the feedback, understand what they were asking for, come up with an idea and incorporate that idea into an existing or completely new model, that at the same time looked good.
It was a bit like building a house together with a contractor and leaving the architect out! It can be done when you're using proven designs, but very often, when you're trying to come up with something new, the end result is not very successful.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

You hit the nail on the head with that one Hans !