GAD D-125 is terrific

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
http://products.guildguitars.com/produc ... 3810110821

I just had an opportunity to play my first in the new series of GAD instruments (the "100" series or whatever you want to call it). This is the GAD version of the D-25.

Guys, I gotta' tell you, this is a great guitar. And does it sound like a Guild? Hell yes. At $7xx-something retail, it was $525 on the store wall. Oh, my!!!!

Geo

Reaction score
That's good to know. How did the top look? I don't care for the asian mahogany but that's just my opinion. I know ladytexan feels the same way. She started a post awhile back on the subject.

George

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It looked nice, George. I little streaky, but that was muted because of the coloring. I'm not sure how or whether they stained the wood, but was sort of reddish-brown. I assumed it was stained since it was much darker than natural Honduran (for example) would be, but not nearly as dark as my older mahogany guitars are.

I can only say that I would not have guessed that this was an all-mahogany guitar from the sound. Most all-mahogany steel strings feel tight and overly dry to me. Not this guitar. Not at all. Quite the opposite. I only played it with my fingers, but it was full and rich. I'm also sure it would've handled a pick just fine.

As for the gloss UV finish on the body... I'm sure I'd prefer lacquer, but there are some virtues in the polyester. Again, it didn't affect the sound at all.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
By the way, George, don't be under the misapprehension that they are using native wood in the (Chinese-built) GADs. Not so, according to what we learned at LMG2... The quality may not be the same as what you get from US builds (if that's what you meant, then yes), but the wood is imported into the factories that make GADs. It might well be Honduran or some other Central American mahogany that they use.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Good to know about the mahogany being imported to China. Regardless, I am not a fan of streaky mahogany as a guitar top. That is why I never cared for the Martin -15 series when they were sapele. Aesthetics helped dictate my all-hog guitar purchase.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The picture on the Guild web page (see my first post) is pretty close to what I saw. The one in the store seemed a bit darker.

Geo

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
By the way, George, don't be under the misapprehension that they are using native wood in the (Chinese-built) GADs.

Yes, I just assumed it was native wood from China or perhaps Veitnam. I think the darker the stain on streaky mahogany the better. I have no problem with the poly finish and the pickgurad sure looks a lot better.

George

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Geo said:
Chazmo said:
By the way, George, don't be under the misapprehension that they are using native wood in the (Chinese-built) GADs.

Yes, I just assumed it was native wood from China or perhaps Veitnam. I think the darker the stain on streaky mahogany the better. I have no problem with the poly finish and the pickgurad sure looks a lot better.

George
I thought the same thing too, George. It was only when I spoke privately with Tim at LMG2 that I learned the truth about the wood. I also told him how confusing things were with the introduction of these new GADs.

All I can say is that that this is a fabulous guitar, regarless of price. And at this price, it's insanely good!

ladytexan

Reaction score
Geo said:
That's good to know. How did the top look? I don't care for the asian mahogany but that's just my opinion. I know ladytexan feels the same way. She started a post awhile back on the subject.

George
George,

I don't remember if I started a thread on the subject, but I do remember commenting on my total lack of love for the GAD mahogany guitars ("streaky" is such a good description). I've never played one, so I'll defer to Chazmo and others on the sound. But, from an aesthetic perspective, I'm not a fan at all....regardless of the originating country of the mahogany.

Charlie, I'm glad you took the time to play the D125 and let us know your opinion. Now, I'm intrigued to try one as a comparison to my '73 D-25. :)

Geo

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
I don't remember if I started a thread on the subject, but I do remember commenting on my total lack of love for the GAD mahogany guitars

Well Toni, I wouldn’t testify in a court of law that you started the thread but that’s the way I recalled it. I do remember you were adamant about your disdain for the GAD mahogany. My wording might sound more severe than your description but anyway it was clear you didn’t like it. I was thinking I felt the same way as I read your post and I also didn’t care for the old pickguards. My apology to any of you who own and like the look of the old GAD pickguards. I have always liked the shape of Guild's pickguards better than any other brand and it sure improves the look of the imports. IMHO.

I’d like to play one myself.

George

ladytexan

Reaction score
George,

Excellent memory! :) My curiosity getting the better of me, I went back and found my two posts on GADs and mahogany. Here they are:

P.S. The GAD or 1+ mahogany top/b/s models still look cheap. :roll: :?

Whether it's GAD or 100 + something, the Asian mahogany is still some of the ugliest, cheapest looking stuff....next to plywood.

Please note: I would like to change "Asian mahogany" to "mahogany used in the production of the GAD models". It's the look of the tiger-striped (streaky) mahogany, not the country of origin, that is keeps it out of my 'like' category. :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Geo said:
I was thinking I felt the same way as I read your post and I also didn’t care for the old pickguards. My apology to any of you who own and like the look of the old GAD pickguards. I have always liked the shape of Guild's pickguards better than any other brand and it sure improves the look of the imports. IMHO.
George
You know, George, it's easy enough to replace those awful GAD pickguards with the traditional Guild pickguard. Like so.....

gad30onthecouch.jpg

GAD 30

It even sounded better when I installed a new Guild pickguard. :wink:

Joe

Geo

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
George,

Excellent memory! :) My curiosity getting the better of me, I went back and found my two posts on GADs and mahogany. Here they are:

P.S. The GAD or 1+ mahogany top/b/s models still look cheap. :roll: :?

Whether it's GAD or 100 + something, the Asian mahogany is still some of the ugliest, cheapest looking stuff....next to plywood.

Please note: I would like to change "Asian mahogany" to "mahogany used in the production of the GAD models". It's the look of the tiger-striped (streaky) mahogany, not the country of origin, that is keeps it out of my 'like' category. :)

Whether it's GAD or 100 + something, the Asian mahogany is still some of the ugliest, cheapest looking stuff....next to plywood :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't you just love this gal 8)

Toni, well put!!!!!

George

Geo

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
You know, George, it's easy enough to replace those awful GAD pickguards with the traditional Guild pickguard. Like so.....

gad30onthecouch.jpg

GAD 30

It even sounded better when I installed a new Guild pickguard. :wink:

Joe

Now that does look nice Joe!!!!! :D

Reformed George

Geo

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
plywood can look really nice. especially when it's made from brazilian rosewood! :D

IMG_1180.jpg

That's the kind of streaky I can live with. :lol:

George

Geo

Reaction score
taabru45 said:
So you could be a streaker George? :shock: :shock: Steffan

streaker.gif

"Don't look Ethel"!!!

Streaker George :oops:

Mad Rose

Reaction score
ladytexan said:

I'm pretty sure it's 'African Mahogany', better known as Ribbon Mahogany. I wouldn't discount the sound of the GAD series Guilds. I have a couple: M-20 & a 30R. They both sound pretty good...imo. Far better than the '80 D-50 & 90's D-30 I once owned. The striped wood doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like it & the bride went completely gonzo over it.

I got lured back into the Guild fold 2 years ago when I went looking for a smaller sized guitar for my Grand Daughter. I came across the GAD M-20 at a local music store & was awe-struck at how good it sounded & how well it projected. So I copped it for $5 bills from the store owner. Needless to say, my G daughter hasn't shown any interest in it, as it's still a bit too big for her to hold...let alone play. So it's been hibernating in a closet for the last 2 years, until a couple of months ago when I took it out to restring & give it some playtime. Yikes, what a fabulous sound, esp when playing it w/ my fingers. Only problem is, the nut width's to tight for my fingers. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/ ... M20003.jpg

Plan B: I had heard about the GAD-30's & how some player's initially took to them. So about a month ago, I bought one of the 1st edition GAD-30R's w/ a 1 3/4" nut width in Rwd. What's not to like? Solid woods, 1-piece mahogany neck, dovetail joint, maple binding, pearl inlay, ebony board & bridge, scalloped bracing, exclt playability, pkgd...meh! I did upgrade the tuners to 18:1 Sta-Tites for better tuning. The poly finish is very durable. A little thick but doesn't seem to affect the tone. A little bright sounding when flat-picked, but when played finger-style...I'm duly impressed. This is what I wanted it for. It's a keeper.

Of course economic's played a part in these acquisitions as my other half & the current economy, have put a dampener on spending. With that, I'm giving some thought about the other 7 acoustics I have that aren't seeing much playtime lately, except for one Collings SJ. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Rnbguitars/SJ-101.jpg.

I'm new here & have been an on & off lurker, mostly trying to get a grasp on the Guild nomenclature. Still can't figure it out? :roll: ...& I thought Martin's naming was difficult. From what I've gathered thus far here, is that the USA Guilds are the top dogs & the GAD series Guilds are kinda swept under the carpet? ....Say it ain't so!

Happy New Year
~Rich

Geo said:

gad30onthecouch.jpg

GAD 30

Joe
[/quote]

Joe: Where/how does one acquire a pickguard like that for a GAD-30R...?