Quintessential Bass albums?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm anticipating a lot more free time this January, so I intend on screwing around with the Pilot bass that I bought from Graham a while back. I was thinking (always a bad sign) that "Buffalo Soldiers" was probably the best song to showcase reggae bass. Sooooo....

What albums would you recommend to a fledgling bass player as the best example of a particular style of bass, i.e. C/W, blues, Jazz, etc?

bassmyf

Reaction score
Default said:
I'm anticipating a lot more free time this January, so I intend on screwing around with the Pilot bass that I bought from Graham a while back. I was thinking (always a bad sign) that "Buffalo Soldiers" was probably the best song to showcase reggae bass. Sooooo....

What albums would you recommend to a fledgling bass player as the best example of a particular style of bass, i.e. C/W, blues, Jazz, etc?

Would have to give more thought ( and I will), to a favorite in each genre, but if I had to pick one and only one album: Jefferson Airplane- " Bless It`s Pointed Little Head"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's much to choose from in Guitar Squid's 25 Best Bass Lines. A lot of my learned riffs came from anyone who was sticking to a standard blues progression. Cream and Led Zeppelin I and II come immediately to mind although Jack Bruce and John Paul Jones played a lot more notes than I could. You can learn a lot from Jack Casady on Bless Its Pointed Little Head although I learned a whole lot more from that after I had studied the studio renditions which are scattered over a couple albums. I also find Hot Tuna cuts worthy of study.

I liked a style, looked for examples to emulate and then to some limited extent "grew" into a bass player by emulating more and different styles.

Lot of good online resources, tab, YouTube "how to" and so on and always remember that even the lowly Windows Media Player can play back at half speed and retain pitch.

zulu

Reaction score
Guild Total
Lots of Elvis Costello has bass that is so locked in with the drums it's scary. Especially "Watchin' The Detectives".
Listen to how tight the bass and drums are in "Every Day I Write the Book".
Great bass work on the Police albums.
Check out The Specials.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
In addition to what others have said (all good suggestions), I always think first of Jack Casady's bass on "Feel So Good" from "Thirty seconds Over Winterland". Onto Paul McCartney on "Getting Better" and "Fixing a Hole" (great bass lines on not-so-great songs), Berry Oakley on "Whipping Post", and the incredible Graham Maby's hyper-caffeinated bass work on Joe Jackson's "Friday".

idealassets

Reaction score
I recently bought the Byrds 4 CD set for about $5.95 on ebay. It has about 100 songs on it, and I like all but the psuedo country material thats sprinkled in the CD's.

I don't know what most bass players think of Chris Hillman's playing, but it fit the part very well. I am not quite as fond of the free form jamming from Cream, and the long Dead jams, etc as I was when it was all fresh and new stuff.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
In addition to what others have said (all good suggestions), I always think first of Jack Casady's bass on "Feel So Good" from "Thirty seconds Over Winterland". Onto Paul McCartney on "Getting Better" and "Fixing a Hole" (great bass lines on not-so-great songs), Berry Oakley on "Whipping Post", and the incredible Graham Maby's hyper-caffeinated bass work on Joe Jackson's "Friday".

Love that bass part on "Friday" as well! A picked P-bass?

Having learned bass in the late 60s, I was with many of you learning from the two Jacks and Phil. (Even won a spot in a really good band by playing It's No Secret pretty well as my audition piece.)

And to this day when I listen to Live Cream I'll hear a riff I still use and think "ah, that's where that one came from."

But also learned a lot when I had to learn Ten Years After bass. Leo played such lovely long scales on the earlier material.

Just an old man ranting..

Yggdrasil

Reaction score
Jack's the man -

I think you need to listen to the entire timeline - standouts off the top of my head for studio albums: Baxter's: Spare Chaynge, Martha,& everything else; Crown: In Time, Bark:extended Feel So Good, LJS : title track (Jack writing credit) Blows : Child is Coming, Sunrise: Sunfighter : Silver Spoon ; Baron v Tollbooth: Mind has Left body & Fishman; Burgers: Water Song; Am Choice: Invitation ... & many more...

Numerous Tuna recordings from the early/mid-80s on. Unfortunately none of the 90s JS Acoustic Explorer is available on disc - those shows featured Kantner, female singer (usually Mangano), maybe a keyboard & Jack, who was effectively both the bottom end & the lead. Astonishing stuff.

jte

Reaction score
Where to start? Or, more succinctly, where to end?

"Wheels Of Fire" by Cream- it's the perfect combination of studio and live. Jack Bruce is still the biggest influence on me as a bassist. His approach is that while the bass does have a specific function to fulfill, that shouldn't limit HOW you fulfill that function! "White Room", "Crossroads", "Spoonful", etc. And also listen to his 50th birthday party concert (released in at least two versions, one is "Sitting On Top Of The World") and the Cream reunion at Albert Hall- it's important to hear how he totally reinvents the lines to his classic songs. He's no slave to the recording and that's vitally important I think.

Get the live Aretha Franklin at the Fillmore (with Jerry Jemmott on bass) and Donny Hathaway's live album (make sure you get the on that has "Everything is Everything/Voices Inside" and "Ghetto Boy") with the under-rated and totally remarkable Willie Weeks. These two albums on a cassette were my pre-gig ritual for years- always got me into the right frame of mind to play bass with a band!!!

B. B. King's "Completely Well" is important and another example of Jemmott's inventiveness. While on the topic, we also need to mention the classic Aretha stuff with Chuck Rainey on bass too, around the time of "Rock Steady" etc. Rainey's also found in an important role with Steely Dan- that's him on "Peg".

The Tower of Power album with "What Is Hip" showcasing Rocco's deadly 16th notes. Two of Jaco Pastorious' biggest influences are Rocco and Jerry Jemmott.

Another vote for "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" too- because Jack Cassady is another one who's never limited by what he recorded, but reinterprets every song based on NOW.

And any bassists simply MUST get a copy of "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" by Dr. Licks- both the DVD and the book/CD set. It's an exposition of how the Motown session band, pinned by James Jamerson's other-worldly imagination altered the way the bass was thought of and utilized. It's not hyperbole to say that there was the world of electric bass before Jamerson, and a totally different world after him.

"Jaco Pastoious", his first solo album- Like Jamerson the world changed around Jaco, and this is the best examples of all his facets. If you like this then add "Bright Size Life" by Pat Metheny and "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report to the library as well.

A good Stax/Volt box set to learn from Jamerson's more earthy Memphis counterpart, Duck Dunn.

Another vote for "Live At Leeds" because The Who is the only straight ahead rock 'n' roll band that I care about. The Stones wrote some good riffs and a couple of cool songs, but The Who had it all. A wonderful SONG writer in Pete, the epitome of what a lead singer should be (that's why Bonzo's and John Paul Jone's highly over-rated buddies based their vision of a lead singer on Daltrey), and the bassist who MADE them sound like The Who. No one else could have anchored the insanity of Moon's drumming and still make it sound like music.

"Elite Hotel" by Emmylou Harris- this album combines traditional real country music with the LA cowboy thing. Emory Gordy Jr. is the perfect example of playing what the song needs, and nothing more.

"Stand" by Sly & The Family Stone- Larry Graham unleashes his thumb to the world on "Thank You (Falletine Me Be Mice Elf, Again)", and plays the perfect one-note bass line on "Everyday People".

"Takin' My Time" by Bonnie Raitt- This early '70s album features Freebo's impressively sensitive bass work all over it.

A James Taylor greatest hits to hear the best of one of the best session players ever, Leland Sklar. Also dig Jackson Browne's first album "Saturate Before Using", if only for Sklar's sly work on "Dr. My Eyes".

Trisha Yearwood's "Thinkin' About You" for Dave Pomeroy's sensitive and touching support of about the only "contemporary" country artists that can sing and chooses great material. Dig his heartbreaking slides on "On A Bus To St. Cloud".

Get a Parliament/Funkadelic compliation, a James Brown hits, and The Brothers Johnson hits album. Bootsy Collins is THE funkiest human being alive and to think he recorded the impossibly convoluted line to "Sex Machine" with James Brown when he was like 19 is amazing. And Louis Johnson came up with the thumb/pop thing independently of Larry Graham, taking it to new places. Also get some stuff that features Bernard Edwards playing with Chic.

That's a great wide-ranging introduction to the bassists that clearly define a lot of the best bass playing. I've left out a good bit, mostly because I'm just not into Rush, Yes, RHCP, metal, etc. And while I love Victor Wooten's approach with The FleckTones and his solo stuff, that's the kind of stuff I'm hesitant to recommend to people because it's of limited appeal.

And as much as I find Led Zeppelin highly over-rated, JPJ is one of the best bassists ever. So if you can get past the sloppy guitar work and the mind-numbing caterwauling vocals, dig "The Lemon Song", "What Is and What Shall Never Be", "Whole Lotta Love", etc.

Simon & Garfunkle's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" has Joe Osborn's bass lovingly supporting and yet slipping to the forefront without attracting attention to itself all through that record. You HAVE to listen closely to "Only Living Boy In New York" and experience the beauty of those sliding parts under the vocals. Other important Osborn tracks are S&G's "America" and The Fifth Dimension's "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In".

Carol Kaye is another one who defined the LA session scene that Joe was active in, and an important figure in the role of the electric bass. Put aside her personal quirks and the whole Jamerson debate- focus on her impeccable work on the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" album. If you're serious about bass, get the boxed set that has the out-takes of Brian talking to the band. It also has some of the tracks without vocals so you can really hear a lot of the subtle stuff that makes the record come alive. As a bonus it's also got some of the songs with JUST those wonderful vocal harmonies!! Plus dig Carol's funky line on Joe Cocker's version of "Feelin' Alright".

No bassist's collection can be complete without a healthy dose of Paul McCartney- I sometimes think even his farts must be melodic... "Something", "Here, There, and Everywhere", "Come Together", "Hey, Bulldog", "I Saw Her Standing There", etc. etc.

Get a Paul Young greatest hits album to hear Pino Pallidino at his best- well at the best of ONE phase of his many faces. He's also done great but totally different things with D'Angelo, John Mayer, and he got the gig with The Who two days after Entwistle died.

Speaking of filling in at the last minute- Jeff Berlin got a call from Yes three days before a world tour. He listened to the recordings and transcribed Chris Squire's parts on the plane to London, did a one day rehearsal, and did the tour. His best work is all over the place, but if you like progressive rock combined with fusion stuff, get Bill Bruford's "Gradually Going Tornado".

I also need to mention some important bassist without reference to specific albums- do a google search and see which ones strike your fancy, but be aware of the contributions from:

Bill Wyman, Bruce Thomas (I just heard "Allison" again last night...), Stanley Clarke, Jeff Andrews, Bee Spears, Carl Radle (it was a stroke of genius to NOT double the guitar part on "Cocaine"), Nathan East, Tommy Cogbill, Anthony Jackson, Bob Babbitt, Aston "Family Man" Barret, Timothy B. Schmitt, Bob Moore, Tal Wikenfield, Nathan Watts, Freddy Washington, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Phil Lesh, Tom "T Bone" Wolk, and a million others.

John

gilded

Reaction score
Tons of great choices already listed, but honestly, is it so strange that I find myself compelled to add a few more?

Check out the first three Paul Butterfield Blues Band studio albums ('65 eponymous, '66 East-West and '67 Resurrection of Pigboy Cranshaw) Bassists Jerome Arnold and Bugsy Maugh, are really great. If you learn those bass lines, you could work in Blues bands for the rest of your life.......

The first two Delbert McClinton albums, Delbert & Glen in '72 and Subject to Change in '73 have some great bass playing, too.
Tommy McClure, Bob Wray and David P. Jackson share the duties. There are some wonderfully classic bass lines in these albums; classic, simple and solid.

You can find the Delbert albums in a double, titled the Delbert and Glen Sessions, 1972-1973

idealassets

Reaction score
"Elite Hotel" by Emmylou Harris- this album combines traditional real country music with the LA cowboy thing. Emory Gordy Jr. is the perfect example of playing what the song needs, and nothing more.
This is definately one of my favorite albums of all time. It was during a time when I needed a break from the usual hard rock & disco of the time. I was not aware that it was noteworthy for bass work. I rather preferred the great mix of vocals and true country style. I'll check out some of the bass material (after all this time, since 75')

Craig

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Plan to read this thread in full when I have a little extra time, but for now I'll just offer the $.02 off the top of my head -- a few of them might not be of too much surprise to some of you :mrgreen:

I hate to go into genre so I'll just say "general quintessential bass albums according to mello":

Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane
Hot Tuna live at Berkeley
The Game by Queen
A Ghost Is Born by Wilco

honorable mention for blues bass:

Natural Boogie by Hound Dog Taylor and the House Rockers

dlenaghan

Reaction score
I can't believe no one's mentioned Mark Sandman of Morphine on this list. He does (did) more with two strings than most do with four or five or even more.

Standout albums for me are probably the last two, 1996's "Like Swimming" and 1990's posthumously released "The Night". Earlier stuff is good too, though somewhat less mature regarding the overall composition, I would say.

Props to a guy who basically reinvented the instrument.

And, I mean, come on: according to Wiki "Sometimesaccurate" Pedia, 'On July 3, 1999, Sandman collapsed on the stage of the Nel Nome del Rock festival at the Giardini del Principe in Palestrina, Italy (near Rome).[3] He was soon pronounced dead of a heart attack and Morphine immediately disbanded. His last words before he died were, "It's a beautiful evening and it's great to stay here and I want to dedicate a super-sexy song to you."[citation needed] The Night was released in 2000.'

Beat that.

dlenaghan

Reaction score
I almost forget: James Whiton of the Eric McFadden Trio does a mean upright and electric upright - two standout albums are 'Diamonds to Coal' and 'Joy of Suffering'.

They are absolute madmen live...

mikko

Reaction score
I spent a sleepless night thinking what is the most important bass album for me. I couldn´t figure out what would be the one and only but I know a bunch of albums and artists that were important for me from childhood/early teens to present. Of course there were a whole lot of other albums that were equally or even more important, but these were important especially because of bass part. I´m not necessarily a biggest fan of all these bass playing styles/sounds anymore but these are what I listened when I started to learn bass by myself and hence the most influential. Order is random, not from best to worse or anything like that.

“Fragile” and “Close to the Edge” by Yes.
Two albums that opened my ears when I was 13. Also one of the main reasons why I wanted Rickenbacker bass so badly. I´m not a fan of “treble bass” sound but Chris Squire still sound good.

“Per Vers, runoilija” by Juice Leskinen & Coitus Int.
Great album where all songs are driven by bass. Guitar only comes up on solos. Nice bass playing by Juuso Nordlund.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-owzPX0uy-w

“American Beauty” by Grateful Dead
Bass sound that got my attention when I was kid. Wonderful album also.

“Screaming Target” by Big Youth
I have no idea who´s playing bass on this album. Probably more than one player because this is a DeeJay album where Big Youth is “toasting” over songs originally recorded by other artists. Reggae bass at it´s finest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz9w3cRMn0Y

The Jam in general…
I like Bruce Foxton´s punchy playing style. If I have to mention one song it could be for example “Eton Rifles”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG0L86DRuC8

Iron Maiden in general…
the greatest band of all time…to me at least. Steve Harris has his own style which I like to listen. I can´t play like him and even if I could, I wouldn´t play like him. That´s just not my style at all.

Jefferson Airplane in general….
Do I need to say anything here? I think this is self explaining on this forum. JA is also the answer to questions like “The best guitar album ever”, “The best female vocals ever” etc.

Lemmy
I remember being outcast in kindergarten because I liked Motörhead and other kids didn´t have a clue about anything else but children´s music. I like Lemmy´s playing in Hawkwind too.

“Love is Still Blue” by Paul Mauriat
Nice playing by some unknown(?) studio musician. Nice bass sound, nice arrangements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3W2ccwOSos

“Aamu toi ilta vei” (song) by Jamppa Tuominen
Nice playing by some unknown(?) studio musician. Nice bass sound, nice arrangements. Simple and ingenious bass line. Very depressing lyrics, which is always nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWvztZ1pZoA

”Pihkasilmä kaarnakorva” by Pekka Pohjola
This album made me buy a wah-wah pedal for bass. Almost 20 years later I sold the pedal because I finally admitted that I will never be anywhere close to Pohjola´s playing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekka_Pohjola

”Guinnevere” (song) by C, S & N, early demo version feat. Jack Casady
Guess who´s my favorite bass player?