Epiphone ES-295 in the house

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
As so often happens, I get interested in a Guild, and end up with something else. Longtime lust for a Starfire III with P-90s or equivalent (Heritage H-525). Not many - as in none - around. Got thinking about this ES-295, realized it was essentially what I was looking for, though with a larger body. Anyway, found one not far from here, and tried to trade for it. The trade didn't happen, but I had to leave with the guitar.

ES-295_over.jpg

ES-295_front_detail2.jpg

It's Peerless made, from 1998 or '99. And like the other two Peerless built guitars I've owned, has obvious build quality, plus a distinctive voice of its own. The owner had gone all Eddie Cochrane here. Intriguing, but I'm not much for dynas. Figured I'd rewind the stock P-90s and sell the dynas. They're actually Dearmond 2000 pickups, turns out this bridge p/u sounds quite nice, not much like the dynas I have not liked. And it matches perfectly with what might be (surprisingly) one of the best neck P-90s I've encountered.

This guitar impresses me more every day. It's hard to change from the neck only p/u spot, as that sounds so fine. There it's very bluesy, warm and surprisingly clear. In the middle and bridge spots, more clarity with twang, but still warm. In all positions, combines remarkably well with delay. Makes me think I've found one great rockabilly guitar. Sure glad I found this Epiphone.
MD

Thunderface

Reaction score
Sweet guitar, MD. I've owned a few Epiphones in my day and I have always been impressed with the built quality. That one is very cool.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very pretty, nice gold color. The Peerless and Samick Epis I've played have all been very nice feeling instruments.
Brad

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw that over on the GDP. Never had a chance to play one, but have heard nothing but good things about it! Have you tried it with the band yet?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default: No, I haven't rehearsed or gigged with it. This will require some thought. It has no soundpost, is fully hollow. Seems to be more feedback resistant than some, but even moderately loud in a small enough room will require some kind of adjustment. Think I'll go for a set of Doug's Plugs. Bet they'll do the trick without possibly changing the tone (as a soundpost might, though that's just a guess.)

It's a learning curve. I'm getting better at the technique side of controlling feedback too. With that and F-hole plugs, I'll get into the louder stuff.
MD

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice guitar, mad dog! I think if you can learn to control the feedback, you may end up not using any f-hole plugs. I always found the beauty of a fully hollow WAS the feedback you can get - as long as you can control it, it can be very interesting!

walrus

RussB

Reaction score
That's a sweet guitar...but I'm with you on putting a P-90 back in there.

I'll bet the noiseless Fralin's would be a cool choice ;)