Tommy Emmanuel

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
I'm a long time lover of that song and he might have a great voice but I don't care for that version. It just doesn't do it for me.
It's the epitome of different strokes, I'd say. Nothing more, nothing less. :wink:

Joe

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ah, yes sir.......different strokes. I guess it helps if you're a Josh Groban fan (as I am), but I've also admired Christopher Parkening's genious for many years.

West

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
killdeer43 said:
I'm a long time lover of that song and he might have a great voice but I don't care for that version. It just doesn't do it for me.
It's the epitome of different strokes, I'd say. Nothing more, nothing less. :wink:

Joe

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ah, yes sir.......different strokes. I guess it helps if you're a Josh Groban fan (as I am), but I've also admired Christopher Parkening's genious for many years.

West
It's not the artists, necessarily. I appreciate both talents and I've been a Parkening fan for decades. It's just that Vincent is a very private and personal song about Van Gogh and the pain he must have experienced to cause him to take his own life. It's much better (to me) when it's performed in a quiet setting, with one guitar and one voice. It's an introspective piece and this version is overdone, IMHO.

Different strokes, indeed. :wink:

Joe

smilinjack

Reaction score
Does anyone know about a one of a kind Guild built for Tommy Emmanual? It has no serial number and the custom shop sticker simply says Tommy Emmanual. There is also a hand written note from the guy that actually built the guitar at Guild saying "Tommy, come by tomorrow and we will do anymore laying on of hands that you request and install the custom sticker". Tommy donated this guitar to a charity that auctioned it off. I bought it along with the documentation pictures of Tommy playing it and pictures of him handing it over to the director of the charity.

70man

Reaction score
Does anyone know about a one of a kind Guild built for Tommy Emmanual? It has no serial number and the custom shop sticker simply says Tommy Emmanual. There is also a hand written note from the guy that actually built the guitar at Guild saying "Tommy, come by tomorrow and we will do anymore laying on of hands that you request and install the custom sticker". Tommy donated this guitar to a charity that auctioned it off. I bought it along with the documentation pictures of Tommy playing it and pictures of him handing it over to the director of the charity.
,I'd like to see that........Tommy is nut's Clever,and his touring schedule is over the Top ,about 200plus days a year,maybe more...I played a Maton last week at a place called Kingdom music,here in good old nz ,not sure it's worth $3799.99 ,here a local ad,sorta like nz version of ebay.Called Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-inst...r-bass/acoustic-guitars/auction-605320304.htm huge fan of Tommys, I love the clip The Band.... very clever "talent to burn,down to earth God fearing soul" that is brilliant,and loves to share his brilliance with others
I GIVE THE Band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UIXEDZGmg

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score

That statement is absolutely no good without pictures!!!!! : ))) Pictures????

West

70man

Reaction score
I Hear that Tommy E ,got on the list and had a Henderson built,wonder if Clapton is still waiting.Would you say that Tommys main guitar a Maton is a Martin OM shape?I just love the chops on this guy,but he is so gracious,he is great master himself ,then just says how great Eric Clapton is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJCeN2_ZLU ,Tomm ,had Wayne make him a guitar ,this guy can play....watch his fingers,seem so light on the strings, pretty guitars too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I Hear that Tommy E ,got on the list and had a Henderson built,wonder if Clapton is still waiting.Would you say that Tommys main guitar a Maton is a Martin OM shape?I just love the chops on this guy,but he is so gracious,he is great master himself ,then just says how great Eric Clapton is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJCeN2_ZLU ,Tomm ,had Wayne make him a guitar ,this guy can play....watch his fingers,seem so light on the strings, pretty guitars too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k

Most videos I've seen him in he plays a Maton. When I saw him in Dallas last year, he played a Martin.

West

smilinjack

Reaction score
Here you go. Let me know what you think.

20130623_232052.jpg

20130623_232136.jpg

20130623_232207.jpg

70man

Reaction score
Nice score ,I'm going to try and load a picture of that I got ,it's of Carlton Jones receiving the guitar from Tommy,outside his place,and them playing on the stage together.Carlton runs Guitar ministries.com,a charity set up to provide guitars to orphanages,missionaire ,and the like that Tommy supports,He donated the guitar to the charity to be auctioned.Guild had made it as a one off ,hoping that it would become a signature model,But Tommy a man of integrity ,has been supported by Maton,and he supports them.

smilinjack

Reaction score
Yep. This is the guitar Carlton Jones got from Tommy. I won the auction for it a few years back.

70man

Reaction score
Tommy and Carton ,with the Custom Guild TE
o8ci.jpg

Tommy And Carlton playing on Stage in Baton Rouge
1zj2.jpg
Took a while but here they are,nice Guitar smilinjack
70man

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
There up. What do you think. Who signed the custom label?

I think that's the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Congratulations to you and may you get a lifetime of enjoyment form her. Bears a striking resemblance to a DV52.....cool guitar.

And to show my appreciation.....how about an entire TE concert from YouTube......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWfvdi4uCYM

West

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not to veer too much, but here are a few clips of the Tommy Emmanuel that I first got turned onto being a jazzer. I wish he would play more like this because he kills it!

Tommy kills anything he touches.
Arguably the best guitar player alive today.

guildman63

Reaction score
Tommy kills anything he touches.
Arguably the best guitar player alive today.

The guy playing with him (Frank Vignola) gives him a run for his money, but that's coming from a guy who will never even play half that good in my wildest dreams.