Tommy Emmanuel

fearless

Reaction score
I have a Maton too - great guitars. All Australian tone-woods make it quite a different tonal proposition from other acoustics I've played. It too is a tough guitar and I have trouble keeping it away form my daughter ("but Dad, it is so much better than mine!)

Fantastic set of video links in this thread - showing many different sides to Tommy's playing. I went to a clinic of his back in the late 80's. He completely re-strung his guitar while we were all finding our seats. Seems like it took him about 90 seconds flat - another skill I can't hope to emulate!

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Maton guitars, fellas. Sure got my curiosity up as I watched that particular video and I visited their website. I also noticed every 'used' Maton on eBay is located in Australia. They sure look and sound like nice instruments...

Thanks too, Carl, for the intel on the two plugs. That one had me going!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
Thanks for the info on the Maton guitars, fellas. Sure got my curiosity up as I watched that particular video and I visited their website. I also noticed every 'used' Maton on eBay is located in Australia. They sure look and sound like nice instruments...

Now wouldn't that be a hoot - a thread on shipping guitars FROM Australia instead of the other way around.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Keith Urban, another great guitarists and Australian, also often plays a Maton acoustic.

West

fearless

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:
Now wouldn't that be a hoot - a thread on shipping guitars FROM Australia instead of the other way around.
Yea, verily! If anyone needs enabling assistance, I'll put my hand up to assist in my area (South East suburbs, Melbourne). It would be nice to have the opportunity to return the favour/s (keeping in mind that this forum is not called letstalkmaton) :wink:

laverda

Reaction score
fearless said:
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:
Yea, verily! If anyone needs enabling assistance, I'll put my hand up to assist in my area (South East suburbs, Melbourne). It would be nice to have the opportunity to return the favour/s (keeping in mind that this forum is not called letstalkmaton) :wink:

And I'll be happy to assist from country New South Wales as well... should the need arise lol
:lol:

Metalman

Reaction score
Hello, everybody,
I have been a way for a while, been working on cruise ships these last 3 years, don't have much time to be with my "family" of Guilds, but when I am home for a few weeks, out comes my '82 D-50!
At this time last year, and into 2011 I was in Australia for a series of cruises aboard the Volendam, a Holland America ship and while in port, I sought out the local music stores, to see what they had for sale "down under". Of course, they had a number of Maton guitars.
I played a number of them, and after spending my years playing Martins and Guilds, the Matons did not impress me very much. They did sound very bright, were well made, but didn't have that warmth, the fullness of tone that I have come to expect from a high end factory built guitar.
And of course, I was looking for that signature "Tommy E." sound. Was not there. I was told that Tommy plays very high end instruments from the factory, and the store didn't have any of that caliber.
So that is my experience. A few years back I had a Corona-built Guild F-47 RCE that sounded more like Tommy Emmanuel's than those I played in the shops in Australia.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Dennis (metalman)

fearless

Reaction score
I have never sat down and played a range of Matons as you have, so I'll take your word for it. Do you remember what prices they were?

I haven't had the pleasure of playing many good acoustic guitars so my ability to compare is limited. My particular guitar is very different from what you describe, warmth actually being its defining characteristic. It has a mellow tone which I enjoy, although it is only gets closer to Tommy Emmanuel's with brand new strings. TE is also big on mixing the piezo and end-mounted microphone balance in his guitar, I'm not sure how much that has to do with it.

Here is an excellent insight to Maton guitar tones, 3 models. There is a great performance at 2.30 in the one about "Jessie". My guitar is similar to the Messiah. You need to skip first 2.30 in that clip also.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-000-GuitarGear.php

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey Scratch, Russ, Ridge and Toni.......Tommy Emmanuel will be in Austin at the Moody Theater on Mon., Feb.20.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Hey Scratch, Russ, Ridge and Toni.......Tommy Emmanuel will be in Austin at the Moody Theater on Mon., Feb.20.

West

So c'mon down, buddy. Great seasonal rates at the Scratchpad... We'll all have us an LTGer's night out. :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well after all of these years, I finally got to see Tommy Emmanuel play, and not in any setting, but in the incredible Majestic Theater in Dallas.......truly a night to remember. We were sitting fairly close to the front and after about 2 hours of playing, Tommy left the stage, but returned for an encore.

The theater was quiet for a few moments after the ovation for his return, so quiet you could here a pin drop as he was contemplating what to play. I blurted out "For Those Who Wait"........and it began to roll off his fingers :D . My gosh what beauty. My Austin brothers are being treated to the same tonight.

I though this was one of the songs that stole the show......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pS_6hErDA

West

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Well after all of these years, I finally got to see Tommy Emmanuel play
Glad for you West!

West R Lee said:
I though this was one of the songs that stole the show......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pS_6hErDA
And thanks for the link to such a wonderful song! I've been listening recently Tommy's music, but I'd not heard this piece of art. WOW

Thanks West! :D

All the best,

B.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
SouthernSounds said:
West R Lee said:
Well after all of these years, I finally got to see Tommy Emmanuel play
Glad for you West!

West R Lee":3op1jtgb]I though this was one of the songs that stole the show...... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pS_6hErDA said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pS_6hErDA[/url]
And thanks for the link to such a wonderful song! I've been listening recently Tommy's music, but I'd not heard this piece of art. WOW

Thanks West! :D

All the best,

B.[/quote:3op1jtgb]

You're welcome B. I had never heard "Lewis and Clark" either, not until last night........but I was in awe watching him play it, and will never foregt it's title. T.E. explained that he had done a 4 day seminar in Oregon I think it was, and how rare it is that he gets 4 days in the same spot. He described sitting by a river or lake and that these kids came walking by in what looked like costumes right out of a John Wayne movie. He asked about their costumes and they said they were walking a trail in commemoration of Lewis and Clark. Tommy asked....."Who" :) ? And he began to read about the adventures of Lewis and Clark.......and that is how the song came to be......his attempt to celebrate the adventurous spirit of the two men.

West

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
You're welcome B. I had never heard "Lewis and Clark" either, not until last night........but I was in awe watching him play it, and will never foregt it's title. T.E. explained that he had done a 4 day seminar in Oregon I think it was, and how rare it is that he gets 4 days in the same spot. He described sitting by a river or lake and that these kids came walking by in what looked like costumes right out of a John Wayne movie. He asked about their costumes and they said they were walking a trail in commemoration of Lewis and Clark. Tommy asked....."Who" :) ? And he began to read about the adventures of Lewis and Clark.......and that is how the song came to be......his attempt to celebrate the adventurous spirit of the two men.

West
Hi West!

Thanks for sharing that cool story! That's a wonderful song, more if you know his origin! :D

A hug West! All the best,

B.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way, during the concert (Scratch will love this), TE said his guitars are equipped with K & K pickups.

West

rmiller9969

Reaction score
The coolest part of that vid is seeing the damage he has done behind the soundhole from his pinky stabilizing! You know that guitar has been played alot when your resting pinky has marked through the finish! Amazing.

spiderman

Reaction score
West
Thanks for the "Lewis and Clark", nice to see Tommy not shredding, it shows what he can do emotionally. Here is my favorite TE youTube, admittedly a duet and with another superb guitarist albeit way different. She started out as bluegrass prodigy but shifted to nylon and classical, and also harp guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeGGlviGOb4

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time lover of that song and he might have a great voice but I don't care for that version. It just doesn't do it for me.
It's the epitome of different strokes, I'd say. Nothing more, nothing less. :wink:

Joe