Tommy Emmanuel

Sal

Reaction score
Thanks West. That was really something to see. Poetry in motion and a beautiful song.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My oh my Tommy; a song you just kinda wish would go on and on... One example of why they say once you go acoustic, it's a done deal... Noticed there are two end plug jacks on that beautiful ole guitar. Whassup with that?

Has anyone here ever played a Maton guitar?

Thanks for the clip, Jim...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Never seen Tommy Emmanuel perform, but just scored some great seats to see him in Dallas.

You know how we "guitar guys" who know all there is to know talk a bit about what we call buzzing? You know that undesirable, horrible sound created when the strings are so close to the frets they create a buzzing noise? Go back and watch and listen to the first video I posted and see if you can hear the low E on Tommy's guitar buzzing like crazy (the first being at about 18 seconds)? I don't think a guitar of Tommy Emmanuel's ever made a sound he didn't intend to make, so I'm really wondering just how undesirable "buzzing" is. I think there are songs in which it works......this obviously one of them. :) In this case, it sure doesn't seem like it bothers Tommy Emmanuel.

West

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Wow. Nice Flat Picking. It's good to see Tommy Emmanuel not shredding his guitar with all that harsh strumming that I usually see him doing.

-frettedstrings

cjd-player

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:D I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Never seen Tommy Emmanuel perform, but just scored some great seats to see him in Dallas.

You know how we "guitar guys" who know all there is to know talk a bit about what we call buzzing? You know that undesirable, horrible sound created when the strings are so close to the frets they create a buzzing noise? Go back and watch and listen to the first video I posted and see if you can hear the low E on Tommy's guitar buzzing like crazy (the first being at about 18 seconds)? I don't think a guitar of Tommy Emmanuel's ever made a sound he didn't intend to make, so I'm really wondering just how undesirable "buzzing" is. I think there are songs in which it works......this obviously one of them. :) In this case, it sure doesn't seem like it bothers Tommy Emmanuel.

West
Jim, he keeps the action very very low, and a flat fret board, i.e. no relief. Makes his guitars extremely easy to play but does result in string buzzing as you noted.

Scratch said:
l... Noticed there are two end plug jacks on that beautiful ole guitar. Whassup with that?

Ken, he uses two pickups in the guitar. If I recall correctly, one is an under-saddle piezo and the other is a soundboard transducer - like a K&K - to pick up his percussive hits and scratching on the body.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
Wow. Nice Flat Picking. It's good to see Tommy Emmanuel not shredding his guitar with all that harsh strumming that I usually see him doing.

-frettedstrings
Tommy E. "shredding his guitar?" :shock:
Surely you jest!

If I practiced another lifetime maybe I could shred my guitar the way he does. I'd like to give it a shot. 8)

Joe

frettedstrings

Reaction score
No, Joe....I'm not a Tommy E. fan. He seems to be rather harsh on guitars. I don't think I would let him play one of my darlings.

-frettedstrings

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've seen his name around here so many times I figured he must have some great chops, but I never got to actually hear 'im 'til last weekend, as my 'puter lacks a soundboard.
Saw him over the weekend on a PBS fundraiser using a concert of him at Balboa Theater in San Diego CA, and have to say I was suitably impressed.
Gotta admit he does stuff I wish I could do.
Oh well, I can keep tyrin' at least. :lol:
I understand all the Tommy E. love around here, now. 8)

Ravon

Reaction score
I've got a feeling Tommy E's gonna be great. Alot of guys aren't Al DiMeola fans either. I always loved his music and was always in awe of his technique and phrasing. I saw him live a bit ago and while the guy could fly that wasn't what his concert was about. I wasn't a Tommy Emmanuel fan either, the clips Ive seen of him I got the feeling he was just above average. Then someone posted him playing some jazz..... :shock: That cat can play!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Tell you what guys, I'm not a big blues fan, but regardless of what genre I enjoy, I think this might very be the greatest show of guitar prowess I've ever seen in my life. Yes he beats the hell out of them from time to time, but as long as they're his, I don't mind. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGl4RCtw0Y

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Tell you what guys, I'm not a big blues fan, but regardless of what genre I enjoy, I think this might very be the greatest show of guitar prowess I've ever seen in my life. Yes he beats the hell out of them from time to time, but as long as they're his, I don't mind. :wink:
West
What if he signed 'em on top of everything else? (ducks and covers) :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
West R Lee said:
West

:lol: Ouch! You gotta draw the line somewhere Al!

West

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
adorshki said:
:lol: Ouch! You gotta draw the line somewhere Al!
West
I gotta admit, if it was owned by Tommy Emmanuel and signed by Tommy Emmanuel, I wouldn't hold it against it.
Might even let it sit in my lap.
Not sure if I'd be able to work up the gumption to play it though. :lol:

laverda

Reaction score
Scratch said:
My oh my Tommy; a song you just kinda wish would go on and on... One example of why they say once you go acoustic, it's a done deal... Noticed there are two end plug jacks on that beautiful ole guitar. Whassup with that?

Has anyone here ever played a Maton guitar?

Thanks for the clip, Jim...

Hi Scratch,
I used to own a Maton ECW80/12C http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/cw80-12-series.html before getting my F412. Matons are made in Australia and hang in bunches on just about every music shop wall in Oz. They have a full range from entry level stuff to high end signature series stuff. I always wanted a Maton 'Messiah' 12 string but the ECW80/12C was the next best thing without all the bling.

My Maton basically travelled everywhere with me from outback Australia to the Pacific Islands to India and lots of places inbetween. Maton guitars are renowned for their proven durability in extremes of conditions and mine certainly lived upto that reputation.

Cheers,
Mick