1955 Guild Model 66 Masteramp

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just acquired a little Masteramp masterpiece......

IMG_0525.jpg

This exact model was cataloged in 1955, though I'm not sure how long its production ran.

Screenshot2011-10-07at61546AM.png

I didn't get the "Guild" footswitch......darn!

Its got the "transformerless" circuit with the pair of 50L6GT tubes....I wasn't hearing anything good about this from my forum research but am completely happy and even amazed at how nice this sounds.
Its as close to pristine as an old amp can get.....just a few nicks and even the fake wood covering has survived in good shape.
For safety's sake I have shut it down for an inspection by my amp guy. Its never been touched inside...the tremolo circuit isn't working.
I'm no amp expert as far as the inner workings go, but would be love to hear from those that might have some knowledge to share.

Other photos including one showing the original canvas zippered cover...

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Lastly...to put this in perspective....

Might as well pose this thing with a couple old Guilds from the very same catalog....I'll bet someone in '55-'56 bought either of these guitar/amp combinations.

With 1955 X-50...

IMG_0514.jpg

With 1956 CE-100 (cataloged in '55)

IMG_0518.jpg

Screenshot2011-10-07at62100AM.png
Screenshot2011-10-07at62001AM.png

ziz

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! I love the rich sound of my '60 99J, which also had to have the tremolo worked on when I had my tech go over it and get a grounded plug. Must have been a common problem.
I got a cheap single foot switch for the trem. It works, but, like you, would love to find an original Guild one.

Get it fixed, get it safe and ENJOY!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweet looking amp! Needs new filtercaps, caps in the trem circuit, three prong plug and an ISOLATION TRANSFORMER, then it's safe to use.
About 10 watts on a good day, down the hill, with a stiff tailwind. The power and rectifier tubes are cheap and common. Would love a gut shot of the chassis and soundclips would be great. I have a functionally equivalent amp sitting over at the "shop", but have not been able to get to it...

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments....sorry for my delayed response but life got strange for a few days there....

I'm taking this in to my amp guy for a good looking over tomorrow morning....filtercaps, tremolo caps, and to address any safety issues that an old amp of this design might be known for. I'm confident that I've got the right person for the job...he's been gradually getting some of my older nonfunctioning Gibson GA and BR amps up and running and I couldn't be more happy with the results.

It may be awhile, but I'll try to get back on this.....more photos etc......
I've got to get set up to record some soundclips....this is a good sounding amp and would love for all to get a chance to agree....(or not!)

Thanks,

ziz

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Default....

Maybe we'll both be inspired....at least I am right now!

Just brought this to my amp guy....Chris Davis of Wappinger's Falls NY by the way.....

Quite reassuring, especially because he knows his stuff.........he's brought back from disfunction several weird old amps I've brought by, and to my great satisfaction. He completely knew the situation with this Model 66, described the dangers and will be going over everything as you described, including installing an isolation transformer. Thats going to cost a little, but from what I did manage to hear from this amp, I'm sure it will be worth it.....I'll want to play it often and without concern.

So thanks for the heads up on some of the quirks and scary stuff.....I went with all the right questions and managed to learn some things!
Will let everyone know how this turns out.

ziz

skinny

Reaction score
Congrats ziz,
That thing is in beautiful shape !!
I would also love to see a pic of the "inner workin's" as well.
My Masteramp is rough compared to yours, and I need to get it
looked at soon.
Let us know what you find.

skinny

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Times like this I'm missing the Cptn... somehow he always managed to shine light into the dark corners of these kinds of things....Steffan