Martin HD-28 close-up look

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I only have a little experience with stringing slotheads, but I think you can avoid the blood if you clip the string first and use the Taylor method (see last page: http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdf ... string.pdf) . I'd probably get a power winder too. :)

That looks slick. I'll give it a whirl next time my Lyon and Healy parlor needs a string change. Thanks :!: :D

tjmangum

Reaction score
Looks great. What strings are you using on the HD? I've been using D'Addario mediums Ej17s, on mine.
T

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tjmangum said:
Looks great. What strings are you using on the HD? I've been using D'Addario mediums Ej17s, on mine.
T
I put medium EXP phos-bronze on this time, TJ. I'm curious how some of the other strings I have would work on the HD, but I figured these would serve it best.

Ravon

Reaction score
Nice. When looking at dreads recently I was torn between the HD28 and a D55. I probably would have settled on the HD but the D55 happened to be in a music store. Maybe when the stars align again I'll have me a Martin.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I really think the braces in this HD are very creatively shaped. These were probably carved/shaved by hand in '96, not sure.
They still are. Martin makes many guitars per year, but much of the craftsmanship is still done by hand. Here is a factory tour video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNYxjlU_-0). If you fast forward to about 7 minutes, you will see workers hand scalloping braces on the sound board. A nice little discussion on how they shift the braces forward to open up the lower bout for more movement.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Chazmo said:
I really think the braces in this HD are very creatively shaped. These were probably carved/shaved by hand in '96, not sure.
They still are. Martin makes many guitars per year, but much of the craftsmanship is still done by hand. Here is a factory tour video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNYxjlU_-0). If you fast forward to about 7 minutes, you will see workers hand scalloping braces on the sound board. A nice little discussion on how they shift the braces forward to open up the lower bout for more movement.
Well, there's an interesting difference, then, between Martin and Guild manufacturing. The modern Guilds are all CNC machined braces.

Martin has proven (to me, anyway) that the bracing is a huge factor in the instrument's tone.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Ridgemont said:
Chazmo said:
Well, there's an interesting difference, then, between Martin and Guild manufacturing. The modern Guilds are all CNC machined braces.

Martin has proven (to me, anyway) that the bracing is a huge factor in the instrument's tone.
When I got my custom Martin, I called them to talk about the manufacturing process. From what I understand, the only steps where machines are used are to bend the sides, cut the neck, and to buff.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ridgemont said:
From what I understand, the only steps where machines are used are to bend the sides, cut the neck, and to buff.

Which is an interesting contrast to Guild who will use a machine for any process that needs to be precise, repeatable and can be done better by machine than by hand. "better", of course as determined by Guild's Chief Engineer and advisers.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Ridgemont said:
From what I understand, the only steps where machines are used are to bend the sides, cut the neck, and to buff.

Which is an interesting contrast to Guild who will use a machine for any process that needs to be precise, repeatable and can be done better by machine than by hand. "better", of course as determined by Guild's Chief Engineer and advisers.
What's interesting is that Martin definitely builds more guitars than Guild, but they don't use CNC. Either they don't see it as an improvement, or they are intentionally remaining hand-built to preserve their legacy.

RussB

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
What's interesting is that Martin definitely builds more guitars than Guild, but they don't use CNC. Either they don't see it as an improvement, or they are intentionally remaining hand-built to preserve their legacy.

The costs involved and the immense growing pains associated with bringing new machinery in that would occur are also a big deterrent to "going CNC"

The old saying applies...

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Guild started from square one in NH and had big money from FMIC to get manufacturing up and running

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's true, Russ. But, it's not so much having tons of money to throw at the issue. Even my very limited, high-end brass instrument manufacturer, Shires and Co., has lots of CNC. But that's grown "organically" if you will over the last 15 years (and without 100+ years of history prior to that)... Machines have been purchased as a need has come up for them. Martin's got the resources (I would guess)... But, then again, it's as you say... If they don't feel the process is overburdened by all this hand work, why change it? I think it's kind of charming to think that Martin is still making them like this today.

idealassets

Reaction score
the Volvo was already kinda' loaded down with 12-strings at LMG2
Chaz, I would like to see all of your 12 strings at LMG III. I can bring my HD28, if you don't have room in your car to add an HD28. I picked mine out new, at Guitar Center, under warranty, during 2010 "Labor Day sale". I really do like my "new" Guild D55 better though. And its not because I have a bias toward Guild either.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
idealassets said:
the Volvo was already kinda' loaded down with 12-strings at LMG2
Chaz, I would like to see all of your 12 strings at LMG III. I can bring my HD28, if you don't have room in your car to add an HD28. I picked mine out new, at Guitar Center, under warranty, during 2010 "Labor Day sale". I really do like my "new" Guild D55 better though. And its not because I have a bias toward Guild either.
You missed your chance in October, buddy! :)

IMG_3502.jpg

But, Bill didn't (oh wait, that ain't mine!!):

IMG_3508.jpg

I wish I had a wall of these to do some A/B comparisons, but what sticks in my head (purely my own opinion) is that the HD-28 is more comparable to a D-50 than a D-55, Craig. I don't know whether it's the bracing or the Adi top on the D-50 or even the bling level. But, from a *purely* tone point of view, I think the D-55 is more similar to the standard D-28, straight braces and all.

What I've learned from Martin is that otherwise similar guitars sound quite different with different bracing.

idealassets

Reaction score
You missed your chance in October
Of course, but I would look forward to not just seeing, but hearing these guitars next year. My plans for next year are to drive there, so that I can bring some of my Guild (and other)guitars also.

Additionally it was not clear to me until the write up AFTER this year, that I would be able to play a good assortment of factory new Guilds all in one place at LMG.

So you can see that now I am aware of some very good reasons to attend the next LMG.

Craig

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
What's interesting is that Martin definitely builds more guitars than Guild, but they don't use CNC.
Just a point of correction. Martin does use CNC machines for the guitar necks. I visited the Collings factory a couple of years ago. They use CNC for necks but not braces.

For what it is worth, I highly doubt it is a cost issue that prevents them from carving braces. From the video factory tours I have seen, they have a slue of folks that have been carving braces for 30+ years and have the process down to an art....and are quite fast. I understand that Martin is a business and most decisions are ultimately decided by the "bottom line," but they do take pride, and have been very vocal, on the fact that they are still a family business that has employed much of the town of Nazareth for many generations.