Re: Need a Bass bridge for a 1965 Guild Jetstar Bass

Status
Not open for further replies.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Edit: This is a now a locked place holder for the remnants of a topics originally started by Baz Cooper who needed a pickup and bridge to restore a JetStar bass SD-101.

Baz Cooper said:
Anybody got one???? Please help!!!

I think, from pictures, that the "harp bridge" that was used on Starfires, JS' and M-85's would work. That said, if you want the straight bridge which would be the period correct one then you are pretty much looking for mid-1967 or earlier. Hagstrom made them and I think I have seen some on non-Guilds. All that said, I don't think I have seen a vintage bridge, that would work, on eBay for quite some time so I hope you are patient.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

Baz Cooper said:
I am being patient............ But seriously...does anyone know where to get a bridge???

Patience is relative. I was suggesting you might have to wait a year or two unless you are willing to offer $500 for one.

The usual suspects are eBay, Hans Moust, who is a member here by that name, and Jay Pilzer who posts here but I forget his name. Recently someone posted a URL for a dealer in New England who was primarily a luthier but apparently has access to parts that had been used in Westerly. If that person is not Ken Nash then you might try looking for his contact info since he headed the repair department at Westerly. The part was made by Hagstrom so maybe these folks could find one.

I'll be glad to sell you mine but it comes with a bass and negotiations will be in the four figures.

But I'll repeat my point - getting the bridge is going to cost you a lot of time, a lot of money or both.

planetguy

Reaction score

i'll stick my beak in here....

i suspect you're looking for an original style brdg which is all well and good.....however if you're merely wanting to get your bass up and going and don't mind a non original brdg that you'll likely have to drill new holes for....i'd suggest a LEO QUANN BADASS bridge. they have (had?) two models. The II being a direct replacement for FENDER style brdgs and the original BADASS I which i believe was intended for narrower spaced necks/fingerboards.

i used to have an old mid '60's EPI Newport (batwing headstock) that had all kinds of intonation issues. i replaced the stock brg w a BADASS I that helped w the intonation and greatly improved the tone. heresy to many of course, but it did make the instrument a better player and didn't hurt it's resale too badly when i did (foolishly) part ways w it.

good luck in your quest.

Reaction score

+1 on the Badass. My '69 fretless has one and I love it. They are a little higher than the stock Guild bridge, so it can be a little tough to get the strings low enough, but they work really well with the narrow spacing and also improve the tone, sustain, etc. a ton.

Reaction score

I have an old new stock guild bridge with wooden saddles that should match. It's straight across not harp shaped as were manufactured at that time. Send me a PM if you're interested. A badass bridge would work too.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: BASMANSAM email me ASAP!!!!

Baz Cooper said:
Tried to email you and PM you don't know if it is working. I am interested in the Guild Bass Bridge you mentioned. Please email me at:
jswoquinn@sbcglobal.net
or call me at:
773-259-6926
Baz

A couple of things.

First, when I am feeling cranky and uncharitable, I find you to be sorely lacking in patience and that, in turn annoys me. I have pills I can take.

Second if you look at the Profile for basmansam (press the Profile button under the post) you can see that basmansam has not logged in since Oct. 22 which should suggest he has not received your message. Nor has he read any of your posts asking that he contact you. If he is hiding his status then I do owe you an apology because as a Moderator I can see his last login but maybe you cannot. In any event he has not been here for a few days.

Finally, if you go to your Messages (pressing X new messages at the top of the page is one way to get there) you will see your Outbox. Messages stay in the Outbox until the recipient reads them so you have a way to check whether a message has been read, or not.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total

I think it's part of the Baz magic - this guy makes things happen! 8)

Baz Cooper

Reaction score

I am TERRIBLY sorry to have offended you, Mr Fronobulax.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

Baz Cooper said:
I am TERRIBLY sorry to have offended you, Mr Fronobulax. I meant no disrespect. I apologize. But when I say something, I mean it. I reply immediately. I need the parts quickly so I can continue one with my restoration. I didn't know if Basmansam had received my messages or not. I'm new here. I won't bother you or anyone again. I apologize. I am merely trying to restore a 1965 Guild Jetstar bass with 2x2 headstock, serial number SD101. Terribly sorry. Life is too short to wait. I make things happen fast.

Sarcasm and irony don't work in well in online postings. I will take your post at face value, accept your apology and offer my own just in case you are serious when you say "I won't bother you or anyone again". I am not trying to drive you away and we really do want to see pictures, even of the un-restored bass, and follow your story of restoration.

In that spirit I will note that basmansam still has not logged on recently.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

Baz Cooper said:
Actually...Now...I only need the metal plate the goes under the bridge with the 2 screws...Thanks to Alex, we had swapped bridges and now his Starfire Rocks and my Jet Star is almost there!!!

Glad to hear that.

Baz Cooper

Reaction score

I think Harry will post pics later for me.

gilded

Reaction score

Baz Cooper said:
I think Harry will post pics later for me.
Which 'Harry'? Are you talking about me, or a 'Harry' to be named later? Enquiring minds want to know!

Regards, gilded aka Harry

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total

It's me! I have the pics, just got home, need to host 'em then post 'em!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total

OK, here we go:

img3763mp.jpg

img3766c.jpg

img3767sh.jpg

img3768et.jpg

img3769ut.jpg

img3770m.jpg

Will post the "finished" pic as soon as I get it!

Baz Cooper

Reaction score

Thanks for posting those!!!

Reaction score

Looks awesome, Baz! Did you end up machining the base plate? You should post some pictures of your Thunderbirds and your 8-strings. They might not be Guilds, but they sure are pretty.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

bassmanpatsfan18 said:
8-strings.

Mrs. Fro saw a 12 string Hamer bass at LMG II. Kinda makes me feel inadequate :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

bassmanpatsfan18 said:
Baz-

There's a 4 in line Jet Star on ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/60s-GUILD-JET-S ... 405wt_1094

I've seen it on there before, so you probably know about it, but just thought I'd clue you in in case you haven't seen it.

I think it has been for sale for a couple of years. The price and the location in Germany, plus the refin and the PU seriously reduces its appeal, IMO, but if that is the headstock that you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.