I'm on the road with Wanda Jackson and my Starfire

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm typing this from a hotel room in Nice, France, on the way to Barcelona, Spain. Already played Brussels, Belgium, Haarlem and Hengelo in the Netherlands, Zürich and Lausanne in Switzerland, and last night was Vienna, Austria.
I'm using my black '61 Starfire, and it's performing great - especially since I recently put new drop-in-replacement Grover Statite tuners on it, shoulda done that years ago, the originals were shot, and these work much, much better.

Here's a clip from Lausanne saturday, Wanda's little "Elvis tribute" part of the show : http://youtu.be/b3dE-INZIl0

jmac

Reaction score
walter bros.

You sound great!

Who's Wanda Jackson? She obviously must have a following in Europe, but can you tell us more?

jmac

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations Walter; great stuff !! 8) 8)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's really cool that you and the band are backing her, Walter. I love her latest, especially the cover of "Shakin' All Over". 8)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jmac said:
walter bros.

You sound great!

Who's Wanda Jackson? She obviously must have a following in Europe, but can you tell us more?

jmac
Jmac, Maybe you should google her name - she's probably the first white female Rock and Roll singer with any succes/hits, her "Let's have a Party" is a classic, she's 74 now, and just released a record on Jack White's label, produced by him. Like Default says, she's "the queen of of Rockabilly". Some fine picking on her early records btw, courtesy of Grady Martin, Joe Maphis, and Roy Clark.
(and I'm not a couple of brothers, my name is Broes! :D )

Thanks everyone, I'm having fun. Just arrived in Barcelona, playing here tomorrow night.

Ravon

Reaction score
I saw a special not long ago that included Wanda and have learned more since. What a cool lady. Your living many a guitar players dream with all your doing Walter....especially mine! :)

jmac

Reaction score
Gotcha...I looked up some stuff on Wanda.... very cool.

Didn't she object to your drummer having the logo, "the seatsniffers" on his bass drum?

In any case, the sound you get out of your starfire is excellent, as is your playing. If you have any other clips please send post them.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks! She's not crazy about our bandname, and jokes about it onstage every night - but she never objected to the bass drum head. She's a super nice lady. If you type "Wanda Jackson" into the youtube search box and search for the latest uploads, plenty of clips from the last couple of days come up.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Joe Maphis in the "Hard Headed Woman" clip?

Shouldn't Wanda's mic volume be upped a bit on the OP clip?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, Maphis. On her studio recording of that tune, Roy Clark plays electric. But she has recorded a bunch with Maphis too, tunes like "I want to know" and "cool love", and plenty of others.

Wanda's mic volume was just fine I'm sure (our FOH technician is traveling with us, and I trust him 100%), but I'm fairly sure the person holding the camera (or cellphone, or whatever!) was standing right in front of my amp, very close to the stage. I'm not playing loud at all this tour, btw