'60's Ampeg B-15 and a Starfire Bass?

gilded

Reaction score
Hey, Amp friends,

I was thinking about Ampeg B-15 amps today. I've had a few over the decades, but never one when I had a Guild bass of any kind. Anybody have any experience with B-15s and Starfire Basses? Is it a winning combination?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got my nephew's BA-115 sitting in my former dining room right now. Not the same thing unless one of the 'emulations' is supposed to be a B-15 but if there are specific questions I can answer by putting the '67 through it, then ask away.

I have to confess - I only ask three things of an amp. Can it make things as loud as I want for the circumstances at hand? Can it give my Starfire a sound that reminds me of Jack Casady's live sound on "Bless It's Pointed Little Head" and other live recordings of the same era, so that I can live in my little fantasy world? Can it give me an indistinct and boomy "thump" for those time when I don't want people to know what pitch I actually played? If I get three "yes" answers then I'll make a choice based upon weight and footprint.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
gilded said:
Hey, Amp friends,

I was thinking about Ampeg B-15 amps today. I've had a few over the decades, but never one when I had a Guild bass of any kind. Anybody have any experience with B-15s and Starfire Basses? Is it a winning combination?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/2672180304.html

note, the "head" needs work, however, it's close to me.

gilded

Reaction score
Default said:
gilded said:
Hey, Amp friends,

Default, if it's really close to you, go buy the head for me, and I'll pay you $100, plus shipping to Texas for it. If it's not 'really' close, don't worry....
PM if you want to and we'll work out the details.

Harry

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
gilded said:
Default said:
gilded said:
Hey, Amp friends,

Default, if it's really close to you, go buy the head for me, and I'll pay you $100, plus shipping to Texas for it. If it's not 'really' close, don't worry....
PM if you want to and we'll work out the details.

Harry

I'll check when I get done work, whether it will still be there when I call is another thing. ;-/

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is a transistor model and actually sounds pretty good, but it's no better than any other 300 buck bass amp, I would think.

Deal on hold, pending input from gilded.

gilded

Reaction score
The transistor amps are okay, but not what I'm looking for. As far as I know, they're not from the '60's, either.

I do want to take the time to thank Brother Default for taking the time to help me out on this deal. He's going to get some serious barbeque when he comes to Arlington next year....... :lol: