What the heck's a g13?

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
What Frosty said exactly!

Theory isn't music, it's just the study of how we describe music. Theory is in your head, the music is in your heart. All the theory in the world won't make you a good musician if it's not in your heart.

Ian, I hear you on different guitars bringing out different things in your playing (I'm self-taught as well)... since I got that Starfire the blues been hangin' heavy round my door! :lol:

griehund

Reaction score
IMHO the complete package involves understanding the music in my brain, hearing the music in my ears, playing it with my hands and feeling it in my heart. I can often get to where I want to go with just the last three but sometimes I have to stop and go figure out what the hell is going on on paper. I find it helps to understand the theory if I approach it with a specific question in mind rather than just trying to memorize names of stuff. Been playing the nursing home circuit with a 90 year old friend who picks the music every month. When he throws me one I don't know I have to sit down and actually read the freaking notes, then lay in the chords and then hope he's going to play in the key it was written. He plays a home made 12 string that's never in tune cause he can't hear too well. :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
griehund said:
Been playing the nursing home circuit with a 90 year old friend who picks the music every month. When he throws me one I don't know I have to sit down and actually read the freaking notes, then lay in the chords and then hope he's going to play in the key it was written. He plays a home made 12 string that's never in tune cause he can't hear too well. :lol:

Nice work, though. I'd like to thank you on behalf of your audience members and their families.

Homemade 12 string? Pictures? :wink:

griehund

Reaction score
Going out again second Wed of Nov. I'll try to remember to snap a pic. He told me he used to soak the sides in the bath tub for 6-7 hours before bending them and that he finally resorted to a tail piece instead of bridge pins cause a couple of tops collapsed on him. Bought himself a snark and fiddles with it for hours on end. Tuning 12 strings is tough even if you can hear what you're doing.

griehund

Reaction score
Speaking of links.........just found soundcloud.com. Have to spend some time snooping around. Some interesting traks. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to make some loops.