What the heck's a g13?

griehund

Reaction score
Has anybody been to chordbook.com? My favorite spot when I can't figure something out on my own. Scales, chords, jam tracks, community forum, etc. Kinda cool.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hadn't seen it before, but thanks for posting it! Methinks we should have a sticky for cool sites like that.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chords are stacks of thirds (notes that are two letter names away.) You can extend these thirds up to a 13th before you start repeating notes.
So, a G13 would be G-B-D-F-A-C-E. In practice, you can leave out the 11th and 5th (even the 9th if necessary) when voicing the chord, leaving you with G-B-F-A-E.

I am a Music professor, so if you (or any LTGers) have any other theory/chord questions, feel free to post or PM me.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Default said:
http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

It makes my head explode.

Back in the day, before the USA went all metric for liquor, "circle of fifths" made for a very interesting drinking game.

griehund

Reaction score
Default said:
http://randscullard.com/CircleOfFifths/

It makes my head explode.

The modes looks like a list of Roman senators. I thought a mixolydian was a bar tender.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
I always thought it odd that on a guitar forum we don't have a place for music theory/lessons etc.

G13 is a great dominant chord that can be used anywhere you can play a G7.

It imparts a pleasant jazzy sound without sounding too 'outside'. By adding a 6th to the 7th (6+7=13), you get the dominant sound of a G7th but with the softness of a G6th.

One commonly used form is:
bottom E string 3rd fret = G (root)
D string 3rd fret = F (b7)
G string 4th fret = B (3rd)
B string 5th fret = E (6th)

This form is shown here second from the bottom row, second from the right:
http://www.guitarchords247.com/guitar/1061.html

I have no formal training, so I hope this passes the Acorn test. I come from the self-taught school so I may get things wrong now and then but I've been doing this for awhile and I'm happy to help where I can.

griehund

Reaction score
Dang. Another great link. If I can ask questions and get answers I can understand I'm overjoyed. I like chordbook.com cause I can actually hear the different voiceings. Working on T-Bone Walker's "They call it Stormy Monday" trying to work in the g9s and solos. Love the slow smooth blues sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVR8lg1YLuc

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
AlohaJoe said:
Nice, Joe. Try adding the 9th by fretting the top E string at the 5th fret, too. I like the extra kick to it.

(I promise not to bring my red pen to the forum.)

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
AlohaJoe said:
Nice, Joe. Try adding the 9th by fretting the top E string at the 5th fret, too. I like the extra kick to it.(I promise not to bring my red pen to the forum.)
Yes, thanks... that's very cool too. A half-step farther "out" but not discordant.

griehund

Reaction score
Born in 43. Too old to be a dirty hippie. Too young to be a boomer. Love and working at learning old blues and R&B songs. From Bo Diddley to Delbert McClinton. Also some newer stuff like from Buddy Guy,
"let the Door Knob Hit Ya, My Damn Dog Should'a Bit Ya".
Always been a rythm strummer. Working on blues chording and solos. As always, more education means more questions. From brain to ears to hands to heart, I'm strong in the ears and heart and weak in the brains and hands.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
204084 said:
AcornHouse: What kind of music do you play and/or like?
Hey Shawn, I grew with Classical, Jazz, Blues and Rock in the house, so I have very eclectic tastes that have been refined over the years. As a music student, I've was exposed to so many types of music so my classical tastes range from medieval Masses to the most avant-garde composition of John Cage.
In Jazz, I tend to bebop and newer, but not "lite-"jazz.
Rock tends to classic British rock from The Beatles to The Jam, with a smattering of American bands here and there.
A few folk acts, esp. Ritchie Havens; his voice with a Guild, what could be better!

As far as playing guitar, I'm self taught, (I do NOT teach guitar) so my technique limits me more to rock and blues, but I'm trying to expand bit by bit. Worked on some classical this summer. Started with The Who songs, so I tend to emulate Pete Townshend, as much as I can.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
Started with The Who songs, so I tend to emulate Pete Townshend, as much as I can.
You can go through a lot of guitars doing that. :lol:

Ian

Reaction score
Man I am waay out of my league on this forum :oops: Having just got use to the idea that there's a bunch of guys here that can actually play (Bluesy, Frosty et al), now there's guys that are Music professors and know all the theory stuff too. Remind me never to get up in front of you fellows with a guitar :lol:

Cheers, Ian

Frosty

Reaction score
Ian said:
... Remind me never to get up in front of you fellows with a guitar

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but since the subject was raised...

Making music is part of being human. Everyone can do it, and no one need be
concerned about getting up in front! I often attend local open mic nights where
you can find people all along the path, and we inspire one another. We all
appreciate what comes from the heart.

So, Ian... you're up next. What're you gonna play for us?

Ian

Reaction score
Damn... Knew I should have just sat down the back of the class and shut up :oops:

Actually Frosty, I'm the self taught type of guitarist, I'll never be any great shakes on the guitar, but I can belt out a tune and get enjoyment from doing so. I am lucky enough to still be able to play after my stroke (althougfh I've had to relearn much of it as the muscle memory disappeared), and am starting to really enjoy playing again. I find that new or different guitars give me the impetus to try playing in different ways: i.e Since I got the Gretsch I've been playing more Rock n Roll type things, and trying to learn to solo (this has meant learning and practising scales....).

Cheers, Ian