Willy Porter - what model is he playing?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Willy said:
FNG said:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/valencia.html
I'd bet that's a Valencia custom shop model.
It seems to match body shape, add the cutaway, lose the pickguard and simplify the rosette and that looks pretty close.
Maybe it's just my astigmatism, but to me Willy's guitar is closer to the body of that G37 (although I agree now, it's probably not that G37) than the Valencia, notice the waist on the Valencia's very pinched and makes the shoulders stand out more, also it's got a comparatively huge soundhole.
The soundhole'd be easy to change f it was a "custom", but I still think the body itself has more of an F30 profile (or Tacoma F40? ) than that Valencia...
Just mentioning it more for the sake of noting the details than anything else.
Hoping Chaz can post a pic of that Tacoma catalog... 8)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll scan the catalog later, guys.

My understanding was that the contemporaries were based on the F-40 body shape. Lemme get a good read of the catalog tonight.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Video was shot in 2003; well before Tacoma started production in early 2005... Most likely a custom shop model then copied later as a WP Contemporary...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Video was shot in 2003; well before Tacoma started production in early 2005... Most likely a custom shop model then copied later as a WP Contemporary...
Good catch! THANKS!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn good thing I didn't shell out any cash on this. :) So, yeah, the WP model looks quite different, and that's not what he was playing in that video. Here's the WP signature model. I was thrown off because there's a picture of Willy with the other guitar in the front of the catalog I have. But, clearly, that's not his signature model.

BsBz63wEGkKGrHqIH-DIEvBI7teBL2Mge8jOw_3.jpg

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
FNG said:
It's a Valencia from the custom shop. Cloud inlays, G-Shield, abalone trim around the body.

I think you're right Effin. Willie has always played Valencias, he owns or has owned a bunch of them. He discussed it in an interview which as I recall was on the old Guild website. He played an older guitar on a few songs when I saw him a couple years ago. I wasn't at a good angle to see it very well. May have been one he doesn't take on the road normally, as the gig was in the Milwaukee area.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I THINK that's the same guitar Curtis "Mr. P owns. I also think they were based on an F40. There was a 45th Anniversary and almost identical model that Curtis owns. Curtis' is a Custom Shop model. Could be wrong, but it looks just like it.....had the pleasure of playing that beauty in fact.

West