Willy Porter - what model is he playing?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that's the Willy Porter Contemporary model (built in Tacoma). I didn't recall that it had a G-shielded headstock though, so I might be way off.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, Willy, I just checked my Tacoma-era catalog. Yes, that's the WP model you'.re looking at. Nice, huh?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I think that's the Willy Porter Contemporary model (built in Tacoma). I didn't recall that it had a G-shielded headstock though, so I might be way off.
w-e-rr-y interesting...Florentine cutaway (I think those were only done in Westerly?), narrow headstock?(I think they only made those from '87 thru end of Westerly production), deep body, abalone binding and rosette...looks like 'hog sides with light stain...maybe the Willy Porter model got the extra details? Whoahhh...just found this on Westerly Guild Guitars:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/g75rc.html
Fretboard inlays seem to match, I think that's gotta be it...
Chaz I see you just confirmed Tacoma...even with the narrow headstock detail and all that abalone? Or ya think Tacoma just went ahead and copied a good thing that had been done before?

Willy

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
w-e-rr-y interesting...Florentine cutaway (I think those were only done in Westerly?), narrow headstock?(I think they only made those from '87 thru end of Westerly production), deep body, abalone binding and rosette...looks like 'hog sides with light stain...maybe the Willy Porter model got the extra details? Whoahhh...just found this on Westerly Guild Guitars:
Chaz I see you just confirmed Tacoma...even with the narrow headstock detail and all that abalone? Or ya think Tacoma just went ahead and copied a good thing that had been done before?

Yes, interesting but the body shape is a little different, the one Porter is playing is definitely not Rosewood but doesn't look like Maple (at 1:20 good view-quilted like Maple but large pattern and seems more Koa dolor) or Mahogany either?! Also has a different rosette (pretty good closeup at 1:56) and the body on Porter's is full depth.

At 4:30 onwards it appears more likely it is a quilted Maple that the lighting is playing with.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm gonna guess that it's maple.... could be wrong but, I think it is. But all that aside, how AWESOME is that performance. Willie Porter ROCKS! What an amazing musician.....

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
adorshki said:
Chazmo said:
Yeah, for sure the Contemporary Series was built in Tacoma... WP's signature model (as shown) was indeed a Florentine cutaway. Not sure of the body material, but I'll check that later when I'm home. There's a nice picture of it (and him) right in the front of the catalog.

As far as I know, this has the Contemporary Series neck (which is bolt-on to a graphite block). But, I've never seen one, so I might be wrong about the details.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it's not the dread that Al linked to on the Westerly Guild site, even with its florentine cutaway. But if you watch two videos further in the set that comes up from the initial link, he DOES play one that looks surprisingly like it. This is a smaller bodied guitar..... it sure is a nice one.

Willy

Reaction score
FNG said:
http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/valencia.html

I'd bet that's a Valencia custom shop model.

It seems to match body shape, add the cutaway, lose the pickguard and simplify the rosette and that looks pretty close.

Willy

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Well, it's not the dread that Al linked to on the Westerly Guild site, even with its florentine cutaway. But if you watch two videos further in the set that comes up from the initial link, he DOES play one that looks surprisingly like it. This is a smaller bodied guitar..... it sure is a nice one.

Wonder if I could play like that if it was mine? NOT! I'd still love to play it though.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Willy, I'm pretty sure it's the WP Signature Contemporary Series axe (from Tacoma). I will be very surprised if someone discovers otherwise.

Willy

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Willy, I'm pretty sure it's the WP Signature Contemporary Series axe (from Tacoma). I will be very surprised if someone discovers otherwise.

I'm sure you're right Chazmo, it'd be good to know what structure it's built on.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I think Jeff confirmed it with the link to that review, it does mention that model having a G-shield which was my main question. The Contemporarys I can remember seeing had a different version of it, but they were just regular production models.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a Valencia from the custom shop. Cloud inlays, G-Shield, abalone trim around the body.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I smell a wager on the way... ;)
I wager 5 posts you know whatchyer lookin' at......sure wish I had that Tacoma catalog, but I bet you'll figger out a way to show us !!! :D