99J repaired (with pics)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I took my 99J up to the vintage amp tech to get the the cord switched over to a grounded 3-pronger, and had him clean up an overly goopy repair a previous tech had done. Also, after I finally got around to putting a footswitch to it, I found that the tremelo wasn't working.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm happy that it has the Guild plate.

Here's the back closed up.

Complete with ghost label!

Here's the before, with the lovely silicone goop on the right.

And the cleaned up, repaired/replaced innards.

Everything works great now, including the tremelo.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
I took my 99J up to the vintage amp tech to get the the cord switched over to a grounded 3-pronger, and had him clean up an overly goopy repair a previous tech had done. Also, after I finally got around to putting a footswitch to it, I found that the tremelo wasn't working. Everything works great now, including the tremelo.

Hi AcornHouse: I picked up a few of the pics from you ImageShack slideshow; not sure if there were more. (Sorry for the margin blowout folks):

99js.jpg

99jback.jpg

99jghost.jpg

beforegj.jpg

after1c.jpg

Bill Ashton's J-model amp was a 'gooper job' too :shock: :shock: ... my compliments to your tech ... there's very fine looking work!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Capn. (Looks like we were both working on the pics at the same time. :) )

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
No problem ... No problem :wink: :D

Dealing with obsolete can capacitors is a headache ... your guy found an elegant, accessible solution.

In the future, if one of those were to give it up, it's an easy deal snipping in out and soldering in a new one. With moderate use, no reason the amp won't last another 50 years!