(2)-SF Bass NGD This week

jte

Reaction score
Because almost all "active" inputs are electronically the same as the passive input except with a pad, start with the normal input setting. If there's obvious preamp distortion that you can't control with the first gain control, then use the active input. I believe that some early Trace-Elliot amps had a different input impedance on the active input to work better with the lower output impedance of many active basses.

There's a presupposition that active basses have higher nominal output levels than do passive ones. In my experience with active basses- based on ones I've owned and ones I've worked on including pre EB StingRays, Guild Pilots (both EMG active PUPs with passive controls and the Pilot Pro with the Mighty Mite preamp after the active EMG PUPs), Seymour Duncan active EQ, assorted active Fenders, and Laklands with the Bartolini pre-amp- unless you're boosting the EQ substantially, most active basses are very similar to most passive basses. In fact, the basses with the most output I've ever played are the G&Ls from the early '80s with the original MFD pickups- and the L-1000 is totally passive yet able to be noticeably louder than my StingRay with both EQ's nailed wide open. So don't assume an active bass is louder than a passive one.

John

idealassets

Reaction score
How do you feel about that little amp?
I really like the BA112 50 watt amp. The lighter weight will be great for the many 3 hour long jams that I go to. Most of these require with 2 or 3 trips from the car for the gear. Its not like the good old days when we left our gear at the club for 5 weeks straight, with "bruno" the bartender "keeping on eye on it".

With this amp, it will allow time to check out the various other player's gear, before needing something bigger.

I demo'd many amps at Guitar Center to pick this amp. A lot of them initially sounded great, but then I noticed a "tinney" sound, or too much treble. The Fender "Rumble" was a close second, with more wattage for the money. But the Ampeg won, sounding more traditional in my opinion, with an excellent deep bass sound.

Except with my 4003, seems like Rickenbacker and Ampeg really like each other.
This is good to know, since I will also get a Ric 4003 soon.

Craig