1st Guitar

ladytexan

Reaction score
I was reading the Guild newsletter article about The Guilds of Grot (Kurt) when the section about what is his favorite (of 102 guitars :shock: 8) ) made me stop and think.

Kurt said:

“It’s my favorite guitar (T-100D) because it was my first guitar ,” Grotyohann said. “I think a lot of people out there wish they still had their first guitar.”

Do I miss my 1st guitar? No....I don't miss my first guitar because it was a cheap Kay (Silvertone) that would cut one's fingers every time it was played. What an awful little guitar it was. But, I did persevere and learn to play it. :) With that being said, my heart and unconditional fondness and love goes to my first good guitar, my D25. I'm lucky. I still have this great guitar and it sounds so amazing (and, I'm the original owner....remember the exact warm, sunny Autumn day I bought it in Broad Ripple Village, IN). Would I miss it if it were gone? Wow, I can't even imagine it! :shock: I was just wonderin' how many folks have their first guitar or first 'good' guitar. And, if they don't....was/is it your favorite?

P.S. Again, congrats, Kurt, on a great article. 8) :wink:

TonyT

Reaction score
I had a "first" in Broad Ripple as well, but this might not be the proper forum to tell it. :)
Spent many,many hours there back in the day.

ladytexan

Reaction score
TonyT said:
I had a "first" in Broad Ripple as well, but this might not be the proper forum to tell it. :)
Spent many,many hours there back in the day.
Tony,

Maybe we need to compare notes.....spent many, many hours on Rush Street (Chicago) back in the day...gosh, the piano bars and discos....YIKES!! :shock: 8) :wink: My gosh, we might be giving away our age.....::::teehee:::::

P.S. Lived near 'downtown' Broad Ripple Village.....back in the day. ;)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My first "good" guitar was a Yamaha acoustic. Then I moved way up to a Martin D-35. Weirdly, I thought that was as good as it gets until I got my Guild D-64, which blew the Martin away (IMHO).

But no, I don't miss the Yamaha. It served me well as I was learning to play, so did not mind trading it in when I did. The cheap Sears acoustic I had "very first" does not really count as an actual guitar, it was impossible to play. I definitely do not miss that one either, as I never even played it, in fact its a miracle I still had any interest in playing guitar after trying that one as a kid.

walrus

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Well, while I wouldn't consider it "good," it does beat many of those you can find at Guitar Center. I still have my Sigma classical. It was bought new at some store back in the mid-90s in Seattle. I always had trouble fretting up the neck, and now realize that the action is too high. So I still have my first guitar, but recently, I have considered selling it and putting the money towards some form of Mark XX.

Now for steel string guitars, I had a Seagull S6 before I switched over to Guild and Martin.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first good guitar was, and is, my D-25M. Still playing it. First guitar was a crappy no-name classical that I put steel strings on.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first bass was a no-name bass and I barely remember it, let alone miss it. My first "good" bass was my Guild JS II which I still have. But alas, almost anything the JS can do, the Starfire can do better and it is sentiment, not utility, that keeps the JS around.

I've alluded to the story before, but I have a friend who received a Martin as her first good guitar one Christmas when she was a young girl in the 1960's. Recently some housecleaning at the family homestead turned up some reel to reel tapes including a tape from that Christmas so she has a recording of the first time she played the guitar, which she still has.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My first guitar was a good guitar, even if I didn't appreciate it back in the day.

dobro66.jpg

It was the 60's and that old (1930's) Dobro sounded nothing like the music I liked. Sorry to say it's long gone.

Dave :D

Ridgemont

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
My first guitar was a good guitar, even if I didn't appreciate it back in the day.

dobro66.jpg

It was the 60's and that old (1930's) Dobro sounded nothing like the music I liked. Sorry to say it's long gone.

Nice PJs.

Do you still have those?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
dapmdave said:

dobro66.jpg

Nice PJs.

Do you still have those?

Nah. Can't do flannels in Florida. :lol: Don't have most of that hair, either. :lol:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Like Toni, my first guitar was a bottom of the line Kay, my mother got it with Top Value Yellow Stamps, probably had a retail value of around $20. My first good guitar was my F-212 that my mother also bought after she was sure I was serious about learning to play. In between I had a pretty fair Japanese classical that I didn't appreciate and wish I had kept, all I remember about it is that it was rosewood and probably had a solid top. The F-212 is the one in my signature and even though it doesn't get played as regularly as my F-50 or a few other guitars, if you put a gun to my head and said you can only keep one, it would be the F-212, impossible to give up my oldest companion.
Brad

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first guitar was a crappy Giannini classical that I surely don't miss, followed by my first steel string around 1974; a Hohner Contessa dreadnought similar to this one

martin%20Acoustic%20Guitar-2046932606723315900.jpg

It actually wasn't too bad for what it was. I sold it to a friend of mine who I think still has it.

After a couple of years of mowing lawns, raking leaves, shoveling snow, delivering newspapers, and caddying at the golf course, I scraped together enough money for my D50, which I still own and love. 8)

geoguy

Reaction score
Found my first guitar awhile ago in a closet, while clearing out my parents' home. 3/4-size nylon string, now suitable only for a wall decoration or as a planter.

My first good guitar was a D-25M that I still have. Like Toni, I recall buying it new (1977, I believe). Initially thought it was goofy looking (what kind of acoustic guitar has a burgundy-colored soundboard?!?), but the store clerk recommended I try it - it had great tone, & still does.

In-between those two was a Lafayette strat-copy . . . no idea what happened to it, though I did find the amp that accompanied that guitar while emptying my folks' barn. Didn't have the courage to plug it in, though . . . :mrgreen:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I started trying to learn guitar on my roomies old small bodied Goya, which was mahogany and spruce. Nice little straight braced guitar. Then I played his Martin D-35 and that one sounded better but was more difficult to play for some reason. He ended up selling both.

My first guitar that I bought, was in 1994 and it's my Guild D-65S. One of only 20 made. Probably one of the nicest and best guitars I've ever played. It's with me still and I'll never sell it. Maybe make sure it goes to a good home before I die, if I have that luxury.

Oh by the way, I'm STILL trying to learn guitar.......
014rro.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll give it a good home, just in case you plan on dying any time in the near future :lol:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My parents bought me my Yamaha FG-110 in '69 (that's me on the left playing it in 1974). Money was tight, and they still managed to figure out a way to buy it for me - they knew it was important to me. Still have it, and hope to refurbish it some day, not because its a great guitar (it isn't), but for what it represents.

If I didn't have it, I wouldn't have met my wife, and my life would be very different, and not in a better way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm gonna plan on sticking around for a while. But if I get any bad news, y'all on the forum will be the FIRST to know!! :shock:
:lol: :lol: