" A Jar of Beads "

Roger Smith

Reaction score
When my son Evan was 5 years old he turned all the pieces of a 100 piece puzzle...upside down...and proceeded to put the puzzle together perfectly...seeing only the backside pieces. We were stunned.
Last year the public library had a contest...guess the number of skittles in a half gallon glass jar...Evan,at age 8, guessed 3,222. His guess was closest and he won. The total was 3,242.
This year another larger jar was filled with beads. Evan's guess was 5,011. The total was 5,511... he won again with the closest guess.
I read somewhere that one of the indications of a 'gifted child' is their ability to accurately guess the quantity of items in a container.
As parents we all want to believe our children are 'gifted'.
I believe we as parents are the gifted ones. And the gifts are these amazing,extraordinary and captivating children placed in our charge.
I love being a father ! ?

Tonight my boys and I played guitars together for nearly an hour...at their request...
what a grand time !

Sometimes I just feel like crying...because I am so blessed...with family,friends,health,job...such an abundance of joy !
And I have the privilege to live an honorable life through the music
in my heart, with an instrument and voice.
I love my life.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How nice! Thank you...we sometimes need to be reminded of the blessings around us.....Steffan

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I count my blessings everyday and I too love my life.

Roger, check is math skills.
Tell him the square root of 144 is 12. Then tell him 12 times 12 is 144 and that's what square root basically means. Then ask him if he can tell you the square root of 16. My son, at around 6 or 7 asked me what square root meant. He had heard some older kids talking about it. Well, I did that little experiment on him and he came up with the right answer. I gave him other, rather simple, square root problems and he was right on. Turns out he "was" a math prodigy. It also turned out that he couldn't have cared less, hated school, hated homework. Still proud of him today though. He busts his tail off in a steel mill 6 days a week; a minimum of 10 hours a day and often 12 hours.

You're right on there Roger. It's just darn cool to be a dad.

Peace

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, especially interesting that he got the last digit correct in both cases, and the last two digits in the second contest!

Sounds like you're doing a great job of being a dad :D

I also enjoyed playing guitars with my son last night, what a treat. The way he's getting after it, he'll probably be better at guitar than his old man. Of course, that ain't sayin' much... :lol: