" Changing strings on my Taylor 910

Roger Smith

Reaction score
I carved a neck rest and body rest out of foam padding and used my Milwaukee drill on low speed with a tuning peg adapter.

changingstringsonthetay.jpg

Roger Smith

Reaction score
I learned about this tecnique watching a Taylor video.
It makes re-stringing a guitar fun !
:D

And,Yes ! It does speed up the process !

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice guitar. Just curious... why do you cut the strings at that length? I've seen them cut off completely (as I do) and seen them left completely uncut. Don't know if I've seen them like this. Not that I've toured the world studying strings, of course... :wink:

Dave

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the Taylor video, they cut the strings to length BEFORE they wind and don't have that much sticking out. It's a great video and I use the technique myself now. I have to get a string winder attachment for my driver.... that is just too awesome!! Where did you get yours? Nice guitar, by the way. :D

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
EXACTLY, Joe!! I'm trying to find some smallish easy to hold driver to buy to use.... instead of my DeWalt 20v power drill/driver.... which seems just like a bit too much tool for the job. Can't seem to find anything. Anyone have any ideas? Also has anyone used the Zap-It EZ Winder they sell at StewMac? I'm fixin to buy that one.... looks good to me.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh WOW, thanks Ralf!! That G-string winder seems like exactly what I'm looking for. Don't really want a pistol grip because I think it would make access more difficult. But I know I need a slower speed..... wondering if 130 rpm is too slow? Have you ever used either one?

The Ernie Ball one doesn't even list the rpms......

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, I have not used any of them and only saw the Ernie Ball thing a few times on Youtube videos, probably on some Taylor or Fender pages.
Fast speed might not be good, after all you don't want to ruin your tuning machines on the guitar, that kind of gear is not made for fast speed rotation.

Ralf

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not looking for FAST speed at all. I mean, if I was after that I'd just use the old DeWalt. I'm looking for small and lightweight and convenient. But I'm just not sure how fast 130 rpms is. Probably be just fine..... I'll probably just get one. However, I don't want the thing taking forever..... the one in the Taylor vid is pretty quick. That would be just fine......

Roger Smith

Reaction score
Here's where I got the string winder drill attachment...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... ing-winder

Regarding the powerful drill...mine is adjustable so I can lower the RPM's and wind the strings very slow and careful if necessary.

Also,the string winder used in the Taylor video has been re-tooled to work better for their use.

It is a neat setup and it is cool that others have seen this excellent Taylor Instructional video.
It promotes help..more than...their guitars...which in my estimation is the ultimate in humility.

And that is all I have to say about that...

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
A friend got me an Ernie Ball winder as a gift; I didn't realize how good the little thing was or how much I would rely upon it when I first started using it. Battery life is pretty good, cannot remember the last time I changed them out. Pretty easy to speed up or slow down, and the "socket" is cut out for different pegs. Feels cheapoid, but works very well...don't know how many times you could drop it on the cement floor though...

Seems to me that the strings go on the tuning post tighter, and there is never any slippage.

Would I have bought one for myself? Probably never. But a good inexpensive gift to ask the +1 for :lol:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
But I'm just not sure how fast 130 rpms is.
Tom: A little bit more than two full rotations per seconds (which 130rpm is) sounds still pretty good to me compared to winding it just by hand!
Let us know should you get the Mavin's G String Winder. For $15 it's not that much of an investment risk.

But I also watched the Taylor instruction video again and agree their power winder is much faster than 130rpms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEkDR_-D88

Ralf

cjd-player

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
But I also watched the Taylor instruction video again and agree their power winder is much faster than 130rpms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXEkDR_-D88

Ralf

Taylor modifies the power drivers to make them into string winders. There is a planetary gear set speed reducer in the stock driver. As I recall they remove one or two of the gears from the speed reducer. One of their employees figured it out years ago. There used to be some pictures of the mod on their site, or at least somewhere else on the www. Looked pretty simple to do. But you have to buy the same brand and model power driver.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's exactly what I was thinking, Ralf. From watching that vid, I was sure their winder was doing well over 130 rpms. And I like that speed they show. I only have FOUR big drill/drivers so....of course, I need another one. :roll: They're all too big and powerful. I'm still on the fence about which way to go on this but I'm definitely going to Harbor Freight Tools this weekend to see what they have in the way of cheap drivers. Dunno if y'all have Harbor Freight Tools where you are, but it's an awesome place for cheap tools!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, where do you find this stuff, Ralf? That's great. However, I was trying to find something slower than a regular small driver but I guess in fact that I don't need that. Taking something slower and making modifications to speed it up to the speed of something I can buy stock, seems a little silly, huh? I'm definitely getting the EZ-Winder from StewMac, and then I'll just go from there. I've got one guitar overdue for a string change and one that is coming up on one so.... I'll get lots of practice with my new fun tools!!!

I don't think it will make the jump to string changing being FUN.... but it sure will beat that tedious hand cranking with a standard string winder.