Now THAT'S a selling point

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to say, what makes this amusing is that the instrument is a guitar. If it had been a piano, for example, the fact that it had been tuned would be important in assessing condition since many old pianos can no longer be tuned to concert pitch and repairing that condition makes a guitar neck reset and re-fret sound cheap. If the seller is an antique dealer who dabbles in instruments s/he probably doesn't even realize s/he is being funny.

tjmangum

Reaction score
If only it had new CF MARTIN strings and it was newly tuned, then that would seal the deal for me. :D

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guitars were tuned once. I wonder if they still are? I'll have to get someone in to see. Of course, I'm not trying to sell them so.... there's no hurry. :roll:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe if you ask nicely they'll weld it in tune, eliminate any future need.
Brad

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
My guitars were tuned once. I wonder if they still are? I'll have to get someone in to see. Of course, I'm not trying to sell them so.... there's no hurry. :roll:
I do housecalls but I'm not cheap. :D

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
davismanLV said:

....but do you tune guitars, too?......

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
adorshki said:
davismanLV said:
....but do you tune guitars, too?......
Well what did you think I was talking about? :lol:
ohhh....now I get it....I bet you were just trying to get me to make a joke about aural services costing extra or something.... 8)
That reminds me, it's noon...almost time for lunch...I'm in the mood for sushi.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm never sure what we're talking about when Al is involved.....but it sure is a good time...
By the way Tom...how are you liking the Dean Markley Vintage strings, on your 65....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have not changed them yet, Steffan. I'm wanting to hear how they sound, but my old strings are still sounding great so..... it seems a bit premature. I'll get to them soon. First I'm gonna put the RED strings on the Washburn EA-20. Have you ever tried those? I'm wondering how they sound......

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Have not changed them yet, Steffan. I'm wanting to hear how they sound, but my old strings are still sounding great so..... it seems a bit premature. I'll get to them soon. First I'm gonna put the RED strings on the Washburn EA-20. Have you ever tried those? I'm wondering how they sound......
I HATE changing strings. However, for $65.00/hr with a 1.5 hr average time, I might consider making the housecall. Gotta remember I do it the old fashioned way: no automatic winder, no kinks to "set" the string on the shaft, all the windings are clean and tight (no overlap), and I give every string end an aesthetically tasteful loop, the headstock finishes up looking like it got a professional curler-set hairstyle. By G-d they're downright pretty when I'M done with 'em!. :D

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, you mean..... for $65 an hour you don't even cut the string ends???? Are you kidding me?

Lazy bastard!!!

I'll offer you a dip in the pool (it's 105 here right now) and some AMAZING sushi..... and that's all.

I guess I can't afford you...... sheesh. :roll:
:lol:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Al, you mean..... for $65 an hour you don't even cut the string ends????
Cutting the string ends is SO '90's..... :lol:
I guess I did forget to mention a string change includes a truss rod check/adjustment if necessary, fill small finish dings with Mary Hansen Clear genuine nitrocellulose nail polish,
clean and polish with customer-provided polish, and a fretboard cleaning with non-abrasive technique and walnut oil application.
I've also successfully applied cucumber rings to abalone headstock inlays. The trick there is timing: 1.15 seconds dwell time exact. No more, no less. 8)
We can talk barter for sushi, but it's gotta be amazingly fresh. One of our local guys keeps a live giant giant clam in a bucket of saltwater under the counter. He pulls it out, slams it down on the cutting board where it flattens out, then gradually pulses its way back to round except for the flat spot on the side he carves from.... while it's pulsing its way back to round, he points at it and gleefully announces: "See? Still alive!!" :D

dklsplace

Reaction score
I actually had someone email about a guitar listing, asking what guarantees there were that the guitar would be in tune if he bought it........said he had one almost like it, but it was starting to go out of tune. :shock:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dklsplace said:
I actually had someone email about a guitar listing, asking what guarantees there were that the guitar would be in tune if he bought it........said he had one almost like it, but it was starting to go out of tune. :shock:
That's just too funny!!

People like that create a bit of a quandary. Eventually their guitar will go out of tune. Do you educate them (do the right thing), or do you just offer to take the guitar off their hands at a greatly reduced price. Which one would you do? :wink:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
dklsplace said:
That's just too funny!!

People like that create a bit of a quandary. Eventually their guitar will go out of tune. Do you educate them (do the right thing), or do you just offer to take the guitar off their hands at a greatly reduced price. Which one would you do? :wink:

Obviously time to take it in for a professional intonation adjustment. Steffan