Came Perilously Close to a Mortal Sin

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Well, I am guessing you spent some time on I-35. Did you happen to stop at Guitar Resurrection in Austin to test out their massive inventory of NH Guilds? There was a GSR D-50 there but a member here already snagged it. They still have a GSR F40.

BTW, your bodyguard looks fierce!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip Jim.....but tell your bodyguard to keep his hands in his pockets. :lol: Steffan

geoguy

Reaction score
Oh . . . my wife & I ate at that restaurant in Gruene (pronounced "green" by the locals, IIRC). I remember looking down a steep hillside toward a river where some folks were renting float tubes.

I would probably have bought the guitar & passed on the hat . . . yankees are like that. :mrgreen:

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of sinners here.. can we please have a moment of silence for those suffering from C.G.A.S.S
confused gas syndrome :D

cjd-player

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
But the week wasn't a total loss as I was able to score a new summer hat in Luckenbach, even made the transfer of the Guild pin to the new headgear. You'll notice I have my bodyguard in tow. A great time was had with some very good friends. This shot was taken at the Gristmill in Gruene next door to Gruene Hall.

NewHat.jpg

West
I think your bodyguard needs a hat too. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
Well, I am guessing you spent some time on I-35. Did you happen to stop at Guitar Resurrection in Austin to test out their massive inventory of NH Guilds? There was a GSR D-50 there but a member here already snagged it. They still have a GSR F40.

BTW, your bodyguard looks fierce!

Nah Ridge, never made Austin. I tired really hard to stay out of anyplace with a population over 10,000. :wink: Let's see, we did Fredericksburg, Canyon Lake, Gruene, Wimberly, Marble Falls, Luckenbach. Willow City Loop........stayed west of I-35. I think Graham is in Austin now.

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, Jim. It doesn't seem to resonate here in the study like it did at Hill Country Guitars... :shock:

cjd-player

Reaction score
Scratch said:
Funny thing, Jim. It doesn't seem to resonate here in the study like it did at Hill Country Guitars... :shock:
So now you have to remodel your kitchen again???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cjd-player said:
Scratch said:

Just joshing, Carl. Truth is, I've had five Martins and none sounded like that. That particular guitar is special. If it wasn't a dread, I'd probably consider it.

I think it is Folk or small body gits from here out. Might be forced to go the short scale route... Graham handed me a nice used short scale Taylor (did I say nice Taylor? Aaaaaargh!) that sounded very nice indeed. I think it might have had a cedar top on it...

The Collings were very nice; the Froggy Bottoms were unreal and so were the associated price tags...

Had a nice discussion with the (new) owner and asked if he considered stocking guitars under 3K. He said he considered Martin and Guild to fill the void, but in each case they were unreasonable in required stocking levels. As I recall, he said Fender demands that he keep at least 15 on hand. As result, he's adding composites to his lineup.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I came to this group as a sinner.
My first good guitar was my 1981 Martin D-35.
I still have it and love it's deep rich tone.

It's funny how we have a sound in our heads that we judge all guitars by.
I must say that I do it and my D-35 is the guitar that all others are judged against.
That may be why I never bonded with the JF-55 that I had a few years ago.
The D-55 that I replaced it with fits me much better.

My wife owns a great sounding mahogany Taylor 410.
I haven't played a mahogany guitar that sounds better.
Once again, that is probably due to the fact that I love the sound of that guitar.

Moving on, I judge all 12 string guitars against the sound of the Jumbo Guild 12 string.
So far, I haven't found a guitar that can match that sound.

So now you all know why my username it Taylor Martin Guild.
I love them all!
Life is too short to be limited.
TMG

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
cjd-player said:
Scratch said:

Just joshing, Carl. Truth is, I've had five Martins and none sounded like that. That particular guitar is special. If it wasn't a dread, I'd probably consider it.

I think it is Folk or small body gits from here out. Might be forced to go the short scale route... Graham handed me a nice used short scale Taylor (did I say nice Taylor? Aaaaaargh!) that sounded very nice indeed. I think it might have had a cedar top on it...

The Collings were very nice; the Froggy Bottoms were unreal and so were the associated price tags...

Had a nice discussion with the (new) owner and asked if he considered stocking guitars under 3K. He said he considered Martin and Guild to fill the void, but in each case they were unreasonable in required stocking levels. As I recall, he said Fender demands that he keep at least 15 on hand. As result, he's adding composites to his lineup.

:? :? But where was he going to get 15 Guilds Scratch? :shock:

I'll have to admit TMG, I rarely play my JF30-12, but the other night, Scratch was playing his as I sat on the floor in front of him, and my gosh at the sound that thing puts out......just angelic. Much like a symphony. :)

West

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:? :? But where was he going to get 15 Guilds Scratch? :shock:

West

Jim,
At their current production rate, it would take Fender three days just to provide fifteen guitars to one guitar shop! I don't get it...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
At their current production rate, it would take Fender three days just to provide fifteen guitars to one guitar shop! I don't get it...

Don't get what? The deliberate strategy to keep production numbers at New Hartford low in order to maintain quality or something else?

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:

Don't get what? The deliberate strategy to keep production numbers at New Hartford low in order to maintain quality or something else?

Call it faulty marketing logic.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scratch said:
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:

Call it faulty marketing logic.

OK. Just wanted to make sure we were not disagreeing about something new. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:

:) I have a tough time with that "strategy' myself. So you "deliberately" build few guitars........why again was that? So your QC stays up to snuff? But Guild wouldn't like to build more? :? How long does it take to stabilize your QC Frono? I think what's carefully NOT being said is that there just isn't the demand for Guild guitars that there once was. If there were, Guild would be cranking them out. I also think the "Standard Series" is a last ditch effort by Guild to make some kind of profit by building a cheaper guitar that someone will buy.

West

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
West R Lee said:
fronobulax said:
Scratch said:

:) I have a tough time with that "strategy' myself. So you "deliberately" build few guitars........why again was that? So your QC stays up to snuff? But Guild wouldn't like to build more? :? How long does it take to stabilize your QC Frono? I think what's carefully NOT being said is that there just isn't the demand for Guild guitars that there once was. If there were, Guild would be cranking them out. I also think the "Standard Series" is a last ditch effort by Guild to make some kind of profit by building a cheaper guitar that someone will buy.

West

I do too Jim, but that seems to be the way of the world these days. I just hope Fender can make money doing it, or it might be curtains for our beloved brand. I'm not totally convinced that's the case, either :(

I never got the whole "boutique" positioning of Guilds; that's just trying to make them something they never were. Fair or not, Guilds will never have the cachet of a Collings or a Bourgeois. There needs to be enough of a supply for potential buyers to be able to try one first. Aside from us, there's not many folks that will pony up $2K+ for a guitar sight unseen. Not when there's so many Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons out there that they can try.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
twocorgis said:
I never got the whole "boutique" positioning of Guilds; that's just trying to make them something they never were. Fair or not, Guilds will never have the cachet of a Collings or a Bourgeois. There needs to be enough of a supply for potential buyers to be able to try one first. Aside from us, there's not many folks that will pony up $2K+ for a guitar sight unseen. Not when there's so many Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons out there that they can try.

Maybe someone who went to LMG can clarify for me. Will this boutique approach apply to both the Traditional and the Standard series? Part of the reason the Standard series was designed was to increase the rate of production by adjusting some building techniques. In doing so, my initial impression was that Guild was going to increase production numbers of the STDs to those close to Martin and Taylor....or at least try. Now with the Traditional Series, I could justify keeping production down to maintain top quality to compete with boutiques. Heck, both Martin and Taylor do this. For Martin, QC and material quality increase with higher end models in addition to anything you get from the custom shop.

So if anybody could explain the role of the STDs I would appreciate it. If they are meant to compete with Martin, then I find them to be in an odd place considering they are still a rarity and it is cheaper to purchase the Martin equivalent.