Glimpse Inside Collings Guitars (NGC)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This was lifted from over at AGF, but definitely bears repeating, especially since we all know how much the factory at New Hartford was modeled after Bill's place. Over 12 minutes, but well worth your time. 8)

Makes me want another Collings... :roll:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Collings makes some amazing sounding guitars.... I'd love to have one. And that was probably the 12 minutes of this day that made me smile the most. Good one, thanks. Tom in Vegas

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
Collings makes some amazing sounding guitars.... I'd love to have one. And that was probably the 12 minutes of this day that made me smile the most. Good one, thanks. Tom in Vegas

You're welcome Tom.

I owned a Collings D2H for a while and liked it, but I knew there wasn't room in my collection for it and the D50 once it came back from Nashville. I think there was something about that particular D2H, though. It was a 2004 model, but has changed hands at least three times that I know of before I owned it, and now at least twice since. The fellow that I sold it to in early December has since sold it to someone else. While it was living in Denver CO prior to my ownership, it sustained a long crack just to the bass side of the center seam from the bottom of the bridge all the way to the bottom of the guitar. Though it was cleated and repaired properly, I can't help but think that the guitar lost a bit of sound in the process, or at least that's my best guess.

That being said, the level of workmanship on a Collings is second to none, and I love the bolt on necks, too. One of these days I'll have another. I'd like one of the deep bodied OMs in rosewood. 8)

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm jonesing for a Collings slope shouldered 12 fret dread. Don't know why, I've never played one. :lol:

CA-35

Reaction score
Beautiful instruments. I loved when he said that he doesn't play, but he sure does know how to make one.

Sandy- Re;
I'd like one of the deep bodied OMs in rosewood. 8)

You better have deep pockets. :eek:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
CA-35 said:
twocorgis said:
I'd like one of the deep bodied OMs in rosewood. 8)

You better have deep pockets. :eek:

Oh, right you are Scott! Especially since I have a hard and fast rule of no more than $2k for any guitar I buy. That combined with the fact that there aren't many deep bodied Collings OMs out there means that I had better be patient.

Happily, I have a slightly beat up but really sweet cedar over mahogany Bourgeois Jumbo OM to keep me occupied in the meantime. 8)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The whole, "guitar playing doesn't come easy to me..... building things comes easy to me" was a nice touch..... loved that aspect. Apparently being able to play well isn't a requirement to BUILD one exceptionally well. Tom in Vegas

CA-35

Reaction score
Re;
Apparently being able to play well isn't a requirement to BUILD one exceptionally well. Tom in Vegas

"A man has got to know his limitations" Inspector Callahan in "Magnum Force"

Isn't that like a guy who is not a pilot but loves aeronautical engineering?

Gene Kranz was not an astronaut but he knew how to put a man on the moon.

I won't be here but in a 100 years but I envision the Collings guitars will have the fame of Martins.

skillet

Reaction score
Great video, thanks for sharing.

BTW, Leo Fender didn't know how to play guitar either.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, a great video!

His comments about shop class were very telling. I still have the stuff I made in wood shop and metal shop. Today, my kids do not even have the choice of shop class in public high school. What Collings (and others) do is even more impressive to me as time goes on.

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
walrus said:
Yes, a great video!

His comments about shop class were very telling. I still have the stuff I made in wood shop and metal shop. Today, my kids do not even have the choice of shop class in public high school. What Collings (and others) do is even more impressive to me as time goes on.

walrus

If you liked the video, you should come to LMG2. The resemblance is striking. 8)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
southernGuild said:
twocorgis said:
[
If you liked the video, you should come to LMG2. The resemblance is striking. 8)
Oh man, I WANNA. :wink:

I guess the timing's kind of unfortunate John. It would be great if you could, though!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
southernGuild said:
:lol: Sandy, As you know.
"Don't bet against a dark horse!"
Life is made for such events. :wink: Gotta take em whilst they're there.
Hmmmmmmm. :roll: I'm looking into cheapo airfares.

Cool. You'd win the long distance award. 8)