I Won't Say the "M" Word

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ridgemont said:
twocorgis said:
A lot of us here play and love Martins.....
No We Don't
You're such a bad liar Ridgy, next time you come home late without a good excuse, let me talk to your wife on the phone I'll do the work for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice Martin! (It's not a dirty word to me either...) :roll:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
You're such a bad liar Ridgy...
:lol: :lol: :lol: well you got me there. I will be posting some picks of you know what later this week. :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that you can't stay in the guitar building business for almost 180 years without doing a lot of things right. There's always room in my guitar closet for an "M", as long as it doesn't mind rooming with a bunch of Guilds.

Nice guitar, Charlie.

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
All I can say is that you can't stay in the guitar building business for almost 180 years without doing a lot of things right. Dave :D
Not gonna slam the brand, essentially you're right, I just hope that recent development of that synthetic laminated neck I saw about a year ago doesn't bite 'em you-know-where.
As traditionalist, it was a MAJOR turnoff.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Not gonna slam the brand, essentially you're right, I just hope that recent development of that synthetic laminated neck I saw about a year ago doesn't bite 'em you-know-where.
That, in addition to the HPL (High Pressure Laminate) material used on their low end models is very very ugly. Martin does know how to make an ugly inexpensive guitar. But to put things in perspective, the ugly laminated backs and particle board necks (used on the 1-Series) accounts for ~10% of their product line. Everything else is all solid and likely going to stay that way. That is why I like Martin and Guild. When it comes to guitars, I am a traditionalist.

AlohaJoe

Reaction score
There's something about where the bridge ends up on a 12-fret guitar that dramatically opens up the voice of the instrument and seems to really add depth to the overtones. I don't know if slope-shoulders alters the tone much but they sure look nice. The slotted headstock is a nice feature too! I'm sure that guitar sounds fantastic... congratulations, that's quite a score!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
AlohaJoe said:
There's something about where the bridge ends up on a 12-fret guitar that dramatically opens up the voice of the instrument and seems to really add depth to the overtones.
I hate it when you talk dirty. :(

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
AlohaJoe said:
There's something about where the bridge ends up on a 12-fret guitar that dramatically opens up the voice of the instrument and seems to really add depth to the overtones. I don't know if slope-shoulders alters the tone much but they sure look nice. The slotted headstock is a nice feature too! I'm sure that guitar sounds fantastic... congratulations, that's quite a score!!

Agreed Joe. I've been lusting for a D18VS for some time now. The one I've played was incredible, and I just got outrun on one for a good price in Philly a couple of weeks ago. I never understood the appeal of 12 fret slotheads until I played that guitar, I'd like to see Guild make one just like it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
dapmdave said:
All I can say is that you can't stay in the guitar building business for almost 180 years without doing a lot of things right. Dave :D

That's why I say "a lot of things right" and not "everything right". They've surely made some Edsels, but their more traditional instruments can be pretty awesome.

Dave :D

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
AlohaJoe said:

Agreed Joe. I've been lusting for a D18VS for some time now. The one I've played was incredible, and I just got outrun on one for a good price in Philly a couple of weeks ago. I never understood the appeal of 12 fret slotheads until I played that guitar, I'd like to see Guild make one just like it.

They came close with the Josh White Guitar didn't they? Steffan