I Won't Say the "M" Word

charliea

Reaction score
But I got one for myself. Wasn't intentional. I made a low bid on the 'bay and was outbid immediately. At the last minute the other guy retracted his bids due to lack of funds, and I wound up with this D12-35 for the starting price. Couldn't say no. It was made a few months too late to be Brazilian, but it's might pretty anyway. Sounds very different from a Guild. Less punch, more body. Kinda like playing an organ next to a Guild piano. It's a keeper, though. Sounds great, plays great, looks great. Very light. I just have to bite my tongue every time the "M" word tries to escape my mouth.
1_f.jpg

3_f.jpg

4_f.jpg

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You don't see too many sloped shoulder 12 fret 12 strings. I'd say that is a pretty cool guitar. I'm jonesing pretty hard for a nice sloped shoulder 12 fretter myself, but so far have resisted the urge.

What did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar Charlie. A lot of us here play and love Martins too, myself included. I haven't played a Martin 12er yet that really appealed to me, though I'm sure there's good ones. OTOH, Guild never seems to miss with 12 strings (or 6 strings either).

Enjoy the new baby. 8)

charliea

Reaction score
FNG said:
You don't see too many sloped shoulder 12 fret 12 strings. I'd say that is a pretty cool guitar. I'm jonesing pretty hard for a nice sloped shoulder 12 fretter myself, but so far have resisted the urge.

$1300 shipped. I was happy with that deal.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
charliea said:
FNG said:

$1300 shipped. I was happy with that deal.

:shock: :shock:

Nice!!

CA-35

Reaction score
Happy with $1300.00 shipped? I would be doing back flips and asked him if he had another. If it is in even low-excellent condition you stole it. Nice deal.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great score! That would be a good price even if it needed some work.

I'll bet Martin didn't make too many 12 fret slothead 12ers, especially with the three piece back. Makes it more unique. 8)

spiderman

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with "Ms", see my signature. actually there are a ton, well maybe not a ton, but quite a few, slope shouldered 12 fret Ms around, Almost by definition any 12 fret Martin dread is a slope shoulder with slotted headstock, 6 or 12 string, with few exceptions. Don't know the numbers but Martin's first commercial 12, the D12-20 came out in 1966 and was at least available until 1975, maybe longer so thats at least a 10 year run for one model alone. The -35s are all 3 piece backs, initiated to salvage Brazilian when it started to get scarce and there were fewer big pieces available for 2 piece backs. Now even though they are EIR they retain the 3 piece back. Bracing on -35s is also different than on the -28s. For all this guitar weenie stuff go the UMGF for more gory details.
Nice score, very reasonable with shipping, and looks in really nice shape. Always worry about neck resets with old 12s.
BTW after 1968, all Martin 12s could be safely tuned in standard with the usual 12 string sets.

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2008 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full gloss, wide nut) 2011, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson

charliea

Reaction score
This thing has a couple of small surface blems, really nothing for it's age. Great shape. Either it sat in a closet pretty much unstrung and unplayed for +40 years or it's had a recent factory-quality neck reset and refret. With the action at 4/32 it's got almost 3/16 of saddle showing. There's zero fret wear.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Charlie, congrats. That is a beautiful guitar. Too bad it is not a '69. If it were, it would probably cost 3 times as much. I really like the look of the 12-fret dreads.